What do you side sleepers use for a pillow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I've been using a Sealy Extra Firm with a 2.5" gusset and it works fine when its brand new, but it breaks down in a couple months and is no longer as tall/supportive. So I'm getting a new pillow every 3 or 4 months, which is fine, but I just want to see if there's anything else worth trying.

I only sleep on my side, and with softer pillows my head just sinks in too far and hurts my neck and shoulder. Those foam contoured ones are just too firm and still sink down when they get warmed up too.

Has anyone found a stuffed pillow with enough support to hold up to a side sleeper with a fairly wide shoulder? Two pillows is an option I suppose, but I'd prefer the pillow to be supportive in the first place.

Last edited:

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
My chiropractor recommended a pillow, and ordered it for me. It's made of foam, and thick on the sides, with a section carved out of the center, for support when sleeping on your back. I've had it for well over a year now, and haven't been back to the chiropractor

Only downside is that it makes my ear hurt when I sleep on one side too long.

Similar to this one, but mine doesn't have that long tab sticking down from the center.

My chiro measured my shoulder, to get the right depth. You might want to see whether your local chiro can order it for you.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have around ten Dux pillows. One for my back as I sleep mostly on my right side, 3 for my head, one between my legs, one to lay my right arm on, 2 to hug if the GF is not there and the other 2 usually for propping my tablet on so I can watch netflix or some crap like that. I have sleeping issues. I can sleep on my back as I snore like mad, I probably have sleep apnia or some shit like that. Dux pillows are super expensive but I love them.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
My chiropractor recommended a pillow, and ordered it for me. It's made of foam, and thick on the sides, with a section carved out of the center, for support when sleeping on your back. I've had it for well over a year now, and haven't been back to the chiropractor

Only downside is that it makes my ear hurt when I sleep on one side too long.

Similar to this one, but mine doesn't have that long tab sticking down from the center.

My chiro measured my shoulder, to get the right depth. You might want to see whether your local chiro can order it for you.

Just remembered the wife tried one of those once and didn't like it and chucked it in the closet. Maybe I'll pull it out and try tonight, worth a shot! Thanks for the reminder.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Latex pillow FTW. :thumbsup:

Better than memory foam as it bounces back instantly. Latex pillows comes in different densities for your comfort and lasts a lot longer than foam.

Normal down pillows, etc suck for side sleeping as it's constantly adjusting without your awareness and end up with a major neck ache in the morning. These types of pillows are the absolute worst for side sleeping.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Latex pillow FTW. :thumbsup:

Better than memory foam as it bounces back instantly. Latex pillows comes in different densities for your comfort and lasts a lot longer than foam.

Normal down pillows, etc suck for side sleeping as it's constantly adjusting without your awareness and end up with a major neck ache in the morning. These types of pillows are the absolute worst for side sleeping.

how much is a lot longer? ive got a memory foam pillow and cant even remember when i bought it, other than "several years ago" and its fine

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have a contoured memory foam pillow. The side with the bigger bulge is designed for side sleepers, and I definitely notice a difference if I wake up after sleeping on the wrong side. :p My only complaint is that the pillow is kinda big, and subsequently, it doesn't fit well in my pillow case. I tried out a down pillow a week or two ago, but it was no good as putting my head on the pillow would practically make it as flat as a pancake! :eek: I ended up going back to my contoured pillow and fighting to fit it in the pillow case.

EDIT:

It also felt like the down pillow tended to trap in heat a lot better (not surprising), which made my face too hot.

PsiStar

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2005
I use a feather pillow on a foam pillow. When on my back the feather is flat-ish or maybe curled under some. On my side I automatically (it seems) stuff it in a wad so it is thicker which is most of the night. In the AM it looks like it got the worst end of a fist fight ... which it did sort of.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I have a rectangular memory foam pillow I use under my down pillow. Works like a charm for neck support and comfort.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I use the extra firm variety and have to replace them every year or so... after a few months I generally mash all the stuffing into one corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.