What do you guys think about Republican stonewalling?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'll cut through the bullshit even further and make it even simpler:

Had the republicans put their country before their party they would be a viable option. They didn't and the people rejected them.

Both fail miserably. It's just that the reps are even more clueless. The reps would have done better if they dropped their version of social engineering, as two lost senate seats demonstrate. Yours was the lesser of two evils, so the dems can claim that.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Impassive gridlock is exactly where I want it. When I see politicians trying to get something done, it's usually in favor of some special interest groups or big business lobbyists, and not in favor of the people or the nation as a whole.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Congressional margins didn't decrease and it looks like they will increase so why should house Republicans give in (version of compromise when a Republican does it)?

Republicans weren't rejected, Romney was.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The only reason why they didn't lose congress is they rigged the districts to favor their candidates. As it was they barely squeeked by in many of those races.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
The only reason why they didn't lose congress is they rigged the districts to favor their candidates. As it was they barely squeeked by in many of those races.
Put that koolaid down.
baldwin_ggr.jpg

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
I'd love for him to do a frig'n call out on congress and appeal directly to the people.

Great then we could have a King and people could call out for things and the King to stay in power could give the people stuff.

Rome tried that tactic only they have Emperors

Our form of government has lasted a long time though I do think term limits would help.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Stonewalling is all the republican party has left. As a national party they are done! finished, caput! They will hang on to local majorities in rural and mentally challenged areas for a while. They won't comes to terms with it and try and reform the party until they lose the house majority in 2014 or 2016.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Both fail miserably. It's just that the reps are even more clueless. The reps would have done better if they dropped their version of social engineering, as two lost senate seats demonstrate. Yours was the lesser of two evils, so the dems can claim that.

The Dems can claim nothing unless they can find a way to prove they are the lesser of two evils to most people. If liberals can do nothing concrete enough to show their superiority people will forget and go home with the devil that brung them. This presents two challenges, being better in fact and proving it to those who are brain dead. If the alternate devil gets worse and worse while the people forget, we are all going to get fucked real bad. How to be right with good political policy is going to take the efforts of folk of good will across the spectrum, it seems to me but how to deal with the brain dead is going to be a much much harder challenge. They can and do deny anything.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'd like to see Republicans roll over and give the Dems everything they want. Everything. Hasten the process. The sooner we get to the rioting in the streets stage the sooner we can get back on track.

When Dems had a majority they didn't pass the crazy shit some of their more radical members proposed. Let the Republicans get out of the way and let it all go through. Let the country see what happens with a strictly Democrat agenda. If there is to be obstructionism, let it come from within their ranks.

With a Dem controlled House we could have had this all wrapped up in probably two years tops. With no budget, massive spending and massive tax increases across the board, we'd collapse quickly and we could do it on a far grander scale that Greece, France and Spain. Plus, nobody would bail us out. No European union over here.

Let it burn.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
And the Democrats did not rig their races?

The redistricting is up the the state legislature.
Ensure the safe ones and stack the questionables for one party or the other.
Try to ensure that two from a party do not get squeezed together

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Stonewalling is all the republican party has left. As a national party they are done! finished, caput! They will hang on to local majorities in rural and mentally challenged areas for a while. They won't comes to terms with it and try and reform the party until they lose the house majority in 2014 or 2016.

Why can't they cripple the government so that we slide back into recession. Do you think the country is too smart to not blame the President in power. Had the election been strictly about the economy Obama would have been a one term President. You have a party in power in the House that is insane. I don't trust the insane.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'd like to see Republicans roll over and give the Dems everything they want. Everything. Hasten the process. The sooner we get to the rioting in the streets stage the sooner we can get back on track.

When Dems had a majority they didn't pass the crazy shit some of their more radical members proposed. Let the Republicans get out of the way and let it all go through. Let the country see what happens with a strictly Democrat agenda. If there is to be obstructionism, let it come from within their ranks.

With a Dem controlled House we could have had this all wrapped up in probably two years tops. With no budget, massive spending and massive tax increases across the board, we'd collapse quickly and we could do it on a far grander scale that Greece, France and Spain. Plus, nobody would bail us out. No European union over here.

Let it burn.

Yup, let what took 200 years to build burn just so a simpleton piece of shit moron like you can spit. But then again, if it takes two hundred plus years to create worthless Americans like you who live in a bubble of folk who think they are the real Americans, then hey, maybe it's a good idea. I happen to believe, however, that worthless turds like you are recognizable to most of the people and you'll be stomped into the earth the minute you pick up a match. Just go somewhere private and self immolate. You can have everything you wish.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Yup, let what took 200 years to build burn just so a simpleton piece of shit moron like you can spit. But then again, if it takes two hundred plus years to create worthless Americans like you who live in a bubble of folk who think they are the real Americans, then hey, maybe it's a good idea. I happen to believe, however, that worthless turds like you are recognizable to most of the people and you'll be stomped into the earth the minute you pick up a match. Just go somewhere private and self immolate. You can have everything you wish.
So you're arguing for stonewalling by the GOP in the house?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
The Dems can claim nothing unless they can find a way to prove they are the lesser of two evils to most people. If liberals can do nothing concrete enough to show their superiority people will forget and go home with the devil that brung them. This presents two challenges, being better in fact and proving it to those who are brain dead. If the alternate devil gets worse and worse while the people forget, we are all going to get fucked real bad. How to be right with good political policy is going to take the efforts of folk of good will across the spectrum, it seems to me but how to deal with the brain dead is going to be a much much harder challenge. They can and do deny anything.

It would be a wondrous day indeed if those in power would listen earnestly and sincerly to the ideas of those who are not and choose based on merit even if it something they could claim credit for.

We may, and in spite of my critical self, hope we achieve substantial progress with jobs and other things, but I cannot imagine that the best solutions come from one party or another. We are a far larger people.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Have you noticed that when you get scared, you get mad?

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
The Republicans are good and fucked really.

They have enough control left to gridlock the crap out of things.

BUT :

The fiscal cliff and automatic tax raises and military spending cuts mean that if they don't compromise/work with Obama, they fail their base entirely. They also look like gigantic assholes to the nation if they don't work something out.

This is one situation where they have no way out of the shitstorm.

I think this is a bit of BS....

Their "base" most likely has all their money protected just as the weathly liberals do...so regardless of what happens with the cliff those people won't feel it....

And as for the spending cuts, everyone knows that game is all on the dems who constantly talk about gutting the military....

If anything they are in the best position to just do nothing....sit back, let things roll and Obama will continue to look like someone who can't lead.

I actually hope gridlock is the direction they go...then we all take our medicine as afterall it is what we all voted for and what we all deserve.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It would be a wondrous day indeed if those in power would listen earnestly and sincerly to the ideas of those who are not and choose based on merit even if it something they could claim credit for.

We may, and in spite of my critical self, hope we achieve substantial progress with jobs and other things, but I cannot imagine that the best solutions come from one party or another. We are a far larger people.

As you know there are enormous problems. I would suggest you start threads on how to solve political problems and get real solutions attention. I would recommend edge.org and Ted for more community with people who think about serious things.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
As you know there are enormous problems. I would suggest you start threads on how to solve political problems and get real solutions attention. I would recommend edge.org and Ted for more community with people who think about serious things.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the other sites. I'll have to check those out :)
Even I am getting tired of my crabby self, that being mostly due to feeling unable to make a more useful contribution.

Onto an entirely different topic. You might have noticed my sig from Juliua Child, for whom I've had a life long affection. Today I shall make a few kinds of sourdough. Making good bread is a sensual act, one that requires being connected to the world in a way difficult to explain. It's a "real" thing, one which is timeless and simple and honest. It is at the same time a luxurious act, an indulgence in that it will take time and won't be rushed. One must return to a more human pace, one far healthier and the process is a reward in itself, if one approaches it properly. It requires discipline without being a harsh mistress, fosters forethought and organization, involves all the senses in a healthy and healing way, and rewards honest labor by feeding body and soul. Ahh, I feel better already. :)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Even I am getting tired of my crabby self, that being mostly due to feeling unable to make a more useful contribution.

That , in my opinion, is the nail on the head and why I made the suggestions that I did.

I have spent a whole life with the knowledge that what I know can't be given to anybody. I am the Rock Monster in the Neverending Story who had his child stolen by the Nothing from his big strong hands. I was completely defeated. The hope of any contribution I can make has long been washed away. And yet and yet there are tears in my eyes.

You know the story of the man throwing star fish back in the sea after a storm washed millions of them ashore. Somebody asked him what difference he could possibly make and as he threw another he said it will make a difference to this one.