What do you guys think about Republican stonewalling?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The gridlock was voted in by stronger numbers, seems the people said lets go with status quo.

Yep. That seems to be the 'mandate'.

The people brought back Obama and a Repub controlled House of Reps.

A mandate for gridlock.

Fern

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Didn't Republicans lose seats in the House?
Loss of 8 in the House - down to 234
Loss of 2 in Senate - down to 45.

Still have full control of the House
Still ave a filibuster proof in the Senate.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Rethugs theory of sinking this ship to kill the Captain sure did bite them in the ass this election cycle!

/Que Happy Dance!

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Rethugs theory of sinking this ship to kill the Captain sure did bite them in the ass this election cycle!

/Que Happy Dance!

ship was not sunk - just run up on the rocks :cool:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ship was not sunk - just run up on the rocks :cool:

Oh they tried hard blocking every piece of Jobs legislation that would benefit Americans from passing....in my opinion that's Unamerican. Then running over to every camera to bash the President over the head with a cudgel pointing at the unemployment numbers.

You can hear it from the chinless fuck McConnell himself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gM-1HbK4qU

Here is a complete list of bills those scumbags blocked and if this isn't Obstructionism please explain to me what is.....

http://www.woodcountydemocrats.com/...took-office&catid=53:press-releases&Itemid=96

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It depends on the issue. I do not like the concept of government as a rubber stamp for any party.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What does reality say? Are Democratic Presidents better than Republicans at managing the economy. The facts seem to say they are. That would suggest that obstructing Democrats would be a bad idea. But the purpose of working together should be to debate and implement the very best ideas and consensus on that would involve compromise, it would seem to me. If Republicans take their ball and go home because they're a bunch of spoiled brat delusional assholes, any good ideas from them will be wasted.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What does reality say? Are Democratic Presidents better than Republicans at managing the economy. The facts seem to say they are. That would suggest that obstructing Democrats would be a bad idea. But the purpose of working together should be to debate and implement the very best ideas and consensus on that would involve compromise, it would seem to me. If Republicans take their ball and go home because they're a bunch of spoiled brat delusional assholes, any good ideas from them will be wasted.
Republicans haven't had a good idea since before I was born.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The Republicans are acting like a kid sitting at the dinner table staring at a cold plate of peas they won't eat. Mom and dad told him that he could not get down from the table until he ate his peas. He knows eventually they will give in and let him go at 7PM.

News for you. You're gonna eat those peas or you will not be getting down from the table this time.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Republicans haven't had a good idea since before I was born.
a problem was that in the past 4 years; the attitude on boths sides have been fuck you.
Continual spiral downhill.

Both sides had so much ego invested in their side that there was no way to step back and try to put the brakes on.

the Dems tried to roughshod the Repub in the first two years.
As soon as the Repub had the ability to push back, they did with vengeance.

Presently the status quo indicates that the Republicans can continue the blockage unless convinced otherwise.

The keyword is convinced; the Dems do not have the ability to push.
Spewing hatred will not mend fences.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Republicans are acting like a kid sitting a the dinner table staring at a cold plate of peas they won't eat. Mom and dad told him that he could not get down from the table until he ate his peas. He knows eventually they will give in a let him go at 7PM.

News for you. You're gonna eat those peas or you will not be getting down from the table this time.
Those peas are going to get distributed on the floor. Then all will have to expend effort.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The Republicans are good and fucked really.

They have enough control left to gridlock the crap out of things.

BUT :

The fiscal cliff and automatic tax raises and military spending cuts mean that if they don't compromise/work with Obama, they fail their base entirely. They also look like gigantic assholes to the nation if they don't work something out.

This is one situation where they have no way out of the shitstorm.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Generally speaking good ideas aren't wanted nearly as much as those which conform. Admittedly I am a harsh judge of those over us, however I believe that is the proper role if citizens, indeed a moral mandate. We've accepted mediocrity as a sufficient standard. I am not so easily satisfied. That Democrats offer something is a poor substitute for proper stewardship.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
a problem was that in the past 4 years; the attitude on boths sides have been fuck you.
Continual spiral downhill.

Both sides had so much ego invested in their side that there was no way to step back and try to put the brakes on.

Presently the status quo indicates that the Republicans can continue the blockage unless convinced otherwise.

The keyword is convinced; the Dems do not have the ability to push.
Spewing hatred will not mend fences.

but that's the thing... if the republicans have already dug in their heels and decided to block EVERYTHING that the democrats do... what can you even do to convince them? it seems the only compromise republicans want is to get everything they want, and for the democrats to get nothing they want.

democrats seem willing to compromise to get what they want whereas the republicans seem to willing to make demands and nothing else.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Republicans wont do crap but more spending. Both democrats and Republicans have figured out that they can fake "growth" by running massive deficits. Reagen did it. Bush did it. And republicans today will play same game until market forces them otherwise with continued downgrades. They wont go along with tax increases, their proverbial ace in the hole though when it comes to elections, that would be suicide.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The GOP lost seats in the Senate where gerrymandering is a nonissue.

This should be a very telling sign. Without gerrymandering the GOP is a dead horse.

The dems had over 20 seats up in the senate and the reps had 10. The prediction all year was that the dems were going to lose seats and they actually gained seats.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I love love love this characterization. Dems putting forth the GOP's own healthcare plan and asking them to approve it and then passing it anyway when they told Obama to fuck off is "roughshod." Keep telling yourself the GOP was playing nice right up to that point. :D

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
guys are forgetting Obama cannot be elected again so he can act crazy like call the house & senate in session for emergency votes or simple get on TV every night for 15 minutes talking about who won't vote

corrected for accuracy sake --guys are forgetting Obama cannot be elected again so he can act honestly and truthfully in the best interest of the country and call the house & senate in session for emergency votes or simple get on TV every night for 15 minutes talking about who is obstructing the process....

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I think the people that would do such a thing shouldn't be in office.

We need to make some serious changes including limiting senate terms. Those people are there to serve their constituents. Not to play political games.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
corrected for accuracy sake --guys are forgetting Obama cannot be elected again so he can act honestly and truthfully in the best interest of the country and call the house & senate in session for emergency votes or simple get on TV every night for 15 minutes talking about who is obstructing the process....

Obama never struck me as someone with the intellectual curiosity to understand what he even wants like a FDR. nah no fireside chats are coming from teleprompter king.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Lets cut through the Bull shit....
Until the Republicans man up and put the country first instead of their anti abortion, anti-gay, anti-womens rights and anti immigration agenda they will only step foot in the white house if they are invited to do so by the Democratic president of the Untied States!

Plain and simple.
Had the Republicans took a different stance on the above issues I would have voted republican. I am sure that enough people would have voted republican that Romney would have been elected!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lets cut through the Bull shit....
Until the Republicans man up and put the country first instead of their anti abortion, anti-gay, anti-womens rights and anti immigration agenda they will only step foot in the white house if they are invited to do so by the Democratic president of the Untied States!

Plain and simple.
Had the Republicans took a different stance on the above issues I would have voted republican. I am sure that enough people would have voted republican that Romney would have been elected!

I'll cut through the bullshit even further and make it even simpler:

Had the republicans put their country before their party they would be a viable option. They didn't and the people rejected them.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

I'd love for him to do a frig'n call out on congress and appeal directly to the people.