What do you do with a hanging broken toe nail?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
On Christmas of last year, I was holding a 19" CRT monitor on the sofa but unfortunately, it slipped through and fell on my big toe. I had slippers on so my toe pretty much took the total impact. Anyway, the toe nail technically came off the toe as it is not attached anywhere except at the follicle. It is still growing (just not mounted onto the toe). What am I supposed to do? It gets pulled here and there because it is not anchored down but I try to be careful with it and it has never been pulled hard. Is this nail eventually going to fall off, do I have to pull it out (which I hear is a form of torture so I am sure it might hurt) or do I just strap it down and hope that it reattaches itself to the toe? It has been almost 2 months and I am sick of this thing so I though I'd go ahead and ask.

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Uhh I don't think it will reattach. Do a nice soak in some hot water to soften that nail up if you're gonna pull it.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
erm. this is what doctors are for.

really, the skin under your toenail has probably toughened up by now enough so that you could just cut it very short (if you can scratch the underlying skin without any discomfort, then go for it. but if you experience discomfort, imagine that sensation for 9 hours a day while you have socks on).

plus, if you cut it very short, theres a likelihood that it'll just grow back normally. (disclaimer: this is me talking out of my arse)

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Amorphus, yeah that is just about my conclusion. If it is long like it is, there is almost no probability of it reattaching itself. As I said, it is only attached to the follicle so I can lift it up 30 degrees or so. I have been considering trying to cut it really short and bandaging it up so the nail is pressed down into the toe in hopes of reattachment.

If I did pull it out (I doubt I have the courage to do it), will it even grow back?

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Duck tape fixes all

tape that baby back on, or if you've lost it find a really stale corn chip to take its place

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Well guys, I have some great news. I lifted it up (something I have done many times before) to estimate the strength of the nail for cutting possibilities and it looks like the follicle has given up and released the nail. I was definitely attached to the follicle a few days ago when I trimmed the nail. The only part that is dug into my toe is a small side region by the follicle. Anyway, I can now rip it off knowing that no permanant harm will be caused. As said before, the skin underneith is probably hard enough to be exposed to the elements but I will just let it fall off by itself to maintain that little shield of protection that the nail does offer. I have been wearing a sock 24/7 so the nail would not get pulled and it has been working well. I will just continue that till it falls off.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
pics? :p

aaggh! cut it off already!! a;sldkjfa;jf

You wanted pics? I actually took one last night. I could not go to sleep because it was hanging off so much that it would get caught on just about anything so I just pulled it off.

Pretty dirty looking

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Staples
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
pics? :p

aaggh! cut it off already!! a;sldkjfa;jf

You wanted pics? I actually took one last night. I could not go to sleep because it was hanging off so much that it would get caught on just about anything so I just pulled it off.

Pretty dirty looking

BLARGH!!!!!!!! TEH NOES!!111111111111111ONEONEONE!!! MINE EYES!!!!!!!!1111111111

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
There is a pic and I think from the lone answer I got, it sure did gross him out.