What do you consider Patriotism to mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
And is there a situation where becoming a national of another country means you're not less of a patriot? With all this talk of France and high taxes, I was wondering what patriotism really means.

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I think Ben Franklin expressed it best, although I'm not sure if he was talking of patriotism:

Loyalty to the country, always. Loyalty to the government, when they deserve it.

I think there are a lot of people who confuse patriotism with nationalism though, which has in the past led to problems.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
People often confuse patriotism with blind loyalty. A true patriot doesn't hesitate to identity what's wrong with the country, and actively advocates changes that will make the country better.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well, keeping your money off in foreign banks to avoid income taxes and thus avoiding investing in America and supporting American values, could be considered unAmerican?
Oh never mind. I doubt Mittens is posting here, lately.
Someone might pass it on at the next KkK, (ops) RNC gathering.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
This question truly confounds me. I thought some of the republicans on the board would post. Can you truly be a patriot but become a national of another country so you don't pay taxes? I might be missing something so let me know.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
This question truly confounds me. I thought some of the republicans on the board would post. Can you truly be a patriot but become a national of another country so you don't pay taxes? I might be missing something so let me know.

If it is solely so you don't have to pay taxes then I would say no, you can't. Contributing to your country is a form of patriotism. Now if you say, got married, and your wife/husband was from another country, and you moved there with them then you could still be a patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.