What do you consider a healthy supper?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arx Allemand

Sep 24, 2019
The last one...

vwvb24fk.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I don't know how you do that lol. I heard it is the healthier way but I just can't fathom the amount of work and time that takes. Even 3 meals a day I have trouble doing.

It's different than you think. For starters, it doesn't matter when you eat or how often (unless you have something like insulin sensitivity), as long as you're getting your macros in for the day. With that said, I get hungry between meals, and I also get kinda sleepy if I eat a large meal. Plus, I'm also not super hungry when I first wake up, and I have a sweet tooth, so I typically break up my meals like this:

1. Morning snack ~5am
2. Breakfast ~7am (usually like a breakfast burrito or something)
3. Brunch snack ~10am
4. Lunch ~12pm
5. Afternoon snack ~2:30pm
6. Dinner ~5pm
7. Dessert ~6pm

Eating a huge plate of food usually puts me into "netflix & chillout" mode, so I tend to do smaller-sized meals & snacks every few hours to keep my energy up. So then I divide up my macros over those meals to hit my target numbers for protein, carbs, and fat for the day. With meal-prep, it's actually pretty easy to do! Whenever you have any project, you have to face 3 issues:

1. The premise (whatever it is you're doing)
2. The headspace stuff (thinking about it, figuring it out, and making decisions)
3. The meatspace stuff (actually doing it)

For nearly all activities, most of the headaches comes from the headspace portion...the act of cooking is ridiculously easy for nearly all recipes out there...assemble stuff with your hands, stir stuff, chop stuff, cook stuff. It's figuring out what to cook & when to cook it & having all of the tools & supplies ready to go that's the real problem. But once you get setup on a good meal-prep system, especially one that caters to your personal macros, then staying in shape, feeling good, and having high-energy comes as a natural byproduct of eating great food all the time...food that is already prepared or decided upon & food that you're prepared to make because you've already done your meal planning & grocery shopping ahead of time.

One of the difficulties of communication, especially for seemingly complex things like cooking & meal-prep, is that they like kinda huge & ominous from the outside. I can tell you that I worry less about food than anyone I know. Most of my friends still have the old "what's for dinner?" argument every night & have to rummage around their kitchen to scavenge something to eat, or will randomly make something like a batch of a couple dozen cookies & kill half the batch themselves (which is awesome...but I like to have amazing food every single day, for every single meal, not just sporadically, and I also like to not tank my gut that often, hahaha). And when you think about it, even if you're just doing 3 meals a day...that's 21 meals per week. That's a LOT of decision-making & cooking or figuring out your meals to have to do every single day!

In contrast, all I do is flip through my picture-book of recipes, fill out a pre-made form for my eating schedule above for each day of the week with what recipes I want, based on my picture menu, get the groceries, and then cook as scheduled. Cooking is the easy part...I already know what to make, when to make it (calendar alarm), and have everything required to make it...it's not longer a question mark! This approach makes things incredibly convenient & has removed a LOT of stress from my life, lol.