What do you carry your SLR in? Bag? Backpack? Holster? Case?

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Do you use a case? A bag? How many lenses does it fit? How portable is it? What do you recommend for a beginner who plans on getting only 2-3 lenses (and starting only with 1)?

Dec 10, 2005
I had the same question. I don't have a case at the moment, but once I get home from school tomorrow, I was going to head to some different shops to see the camera bags available.

Edit: I got a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Funny you should ask as I just bought a new bag: Lowepro Micro Trekker 200.

It's the size I wanted but it lacks the All-Weather feature of other Lowepro bags.

It houses all of my equipment quite well:

Canon EOS-20D
Canon EFS 17-55 F2.8 IS
Canon EFS 10-22
Canon EF 70-200 F4L IS
Canon SpeedLite 430EX

+ CF cards, hoods, filters, batteries, charger, etc.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
When I travel to shoot sports I usually take this

http://www.lowepro.com/Product...perior/Compact_AW.aspx

because a lot of the time I don't know what kind of conditions I'll be dealing with, so I take a variety of lenses. When I'm biking or vacationing I take a small Tek backpack, but I'm going to have to get a larger one because I can't fit my camera in the one I have now with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens on it.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Tamrac Velocity 7. I might get a 9 if I buy a 30D+grip. I love this bag.

I also have a Tamrac backpack... but I think I might sell it. I don't have a 70-200 anymore nor a flash... at least not yet, they are future purchases.. heh

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm carrying my Sony Alpha around in a black diaper bag with a sweatshirt thrown in for padding. Figure no one wants to steal a bag full of diapers :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
lowepro orion trekker ii

holds the slr, a couple lens, some batteries, and my rangefinder in the lower compartment.

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
I use a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home when I need to carry my entire outfit of gear, and a Lowepro Rezo 160 for when I just want to carry the body, attached lens, and one additional lens.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I use a Lowepro Computrekker AW for transporting all of my gear. Since it's a large bag and removing equipment from it in the field isn't easy, I'm probably going to have to get some kind of small bag for when I need to walk some distance from the car.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
I have the Lowepro Micro Trekker200
It can hold a surprising amount of gear and is small enough to pack around like a bag once reaching your destination. However I find it's short height to be uncomfortable when actually strapped on my back. The bottom strap buckles above my navel.

I plan to move to the Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II
for it's increased height, better harness system, all weather cover and vertical tripod mount.

I also have the Lowepro Pro Trekker AW II
which was a surprise eBay win. I find it entirely to large and bulky to be used unless one absolutely must pack everything but the kitchen sink.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Lowepro Nova 5 when working. Gets quickly dumped into a Lowepro CompuTrekker Aw any other time.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I have a Tamarac backpack style bag and I love it.
MUCH MUCH better than the old shoulder bag. Weight is distributed across your back instead of one shoulder and you can wear it all day without having to deal with it.
It is also out of the way so you can shot and not have to take the bag off if you want to lean over something etc.

I would suggest getting a larger bag than you need now, especially if you want to add lens and flashes later. I bought mine to fit what I had at the time and now wish I had gotten the next bigger size. For every additional piece of equipment I buy I will have to leave something else behind.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Kristi2k
I just purchased the Lowepro 200aw and it fits my XTi, 28-135 and the 70-300 lens mounted in the bag.

http://www.lowepro.com/Product.../Designed_for_Digital/

I knew I should have gotten the 200! I have the 100 and its *just* small enough that I can't have te 70-300 mounted in the bag. The only thing I dont like is the memory card manager on the flap that gets opened....makes the flap thicker!

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I also have a Lowepro Slingshot 200AW. It carries my 20d, 17-85 (usually mounted) 50mm 1.8, 70-300 IS, and a 580EX flash, plus several accessories. It's a joy to use - just as advertised. It's very easy to move around to the front to get the camera out. You could probably do a lens change while standing if you were feeling saucy, but I don't feel that lucky. :) It's comfortable to wear for a few hours, though with it loaded, my shoulder got tired after about 2 hours lugging it around. Maybe I'm a wimp?

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Kata R-102 for whenI need almost everything.. I'll be getting a Crumpler 5 Million in the next couple of weeks for when I just walk around the city and whatnot.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Weatherproof Tamrac TEC back pack

It is very portable, but difficult to remove the camera and/or lens when I am walking.

I hold a 14-54mm f/2.8 & 50mm f/2 in it, but I have more room to fill.