What do you call your mother-in-law/father-in-law?

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
My husband calls my parents "mom" and "dad." It makes my parents really happy, they've always wanted a son and now they have one.

I call his father "Dad" in e-mails but am not sure how comfortable I'd be calling them Mom/Dad in person.

Do you call your in-laws "Mom" and "Dad", by their first names, etc.?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
when i was married i rarely talked to them, as they lived across the country, and i called them by their first name.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
They are dead. You just had to start this thread and remind me of that didn't you!

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I've been married over a year and I'm still trying to figure this one out. My wife's father is very proper and told her it was rude to call other people's parents by their first name. Because of this I have never called him by his first name. No way I would ever call him or my mother in law 'mom' or 'dad' either. I've been pretty good at avoiding ever needing to address either one directly so far.

Even when my father in law calls me he will say "hi Alienwho, it's [my wife's] dad".

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
They are dead. You just had to start this thread and remind me of that didn't you!

Damn the OP for not considering you when creating this thread. :p

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
When I was married: "Satan's sperm donor" and "Womb of evil"

or maybe it was Dean and Nora. something like that.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
I call them by their names. I knew them before I started dating my wife (we were friends for a long time) and that's what I called them then.

I thought it was weird, because all of my friends and I called other people's parents by Mr./Mrs. when I was growing up, and I was around 15 when I met them and they were basically the FIRST set of parents I called by their first name.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I don't understand why people call their in-laws Mom and Dad. Unless their birth parents are complete assholes it seems kind of disrespectful. I'll be a little hurt if any of my boys grow up and call another man "Dad".

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Alienwho
I've been married over a year and I'm still trying to figure this one out. My wife's father is very proper and told her it was rude to call other people's parents by their first name. Because of this I have never called him by his first name. No way I would ever call him or my mother in law 'mom' or 'dad' either. I've been pretty good at avoiding ever needing to address either one directly so far.

Even when my father in law calls me he will say "hi Alienwho, it's [my wife's] dad".

It may be considered rude when you are younger, but there comes a time when you reach equal status.(adulthood) Then it is time to call them by their names(unless you dont mind them calling you son)

MoPHo

Platinum Member
Dec 16, 2003
I'm not married. But when I refer to my sister's parents-IL, they get the title Thing 1 and Thing 2. Sometimes the titles are interchangeable.

Especially in front of my brother-IL, Christine.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

Damn the OP for not considering you when creating this thread. :p

Hey me too! OP is on a roll:p
I called them by their first names.

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I call my mother-in-law "Mom," and I alternate what I call my father-in-law: sometimes his first name, sometimes Mr. XXX, sometimes "Pops." I think he's not too keen on being called "dad." My wife calls my parents "mom" and "dad" because she knows they like it, but she thinks it's kind of weird. Our first child is due in less than a month, and then maybe I'll start calling them all grandma and grandpa :D

gooseman

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
My wife calls my parents "mom" and "dad". I call her parents Dr. Malak and Wedad.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I call my in-laws by their first name most of the time.

Sometimes I'll (more in jest than anything) refer to them as Mom or Dad.

My wife basically avoids it.

My Mom is super emotional and a little crazy I think and even told my wife how happy it'd make her if she'd call her Mom (in a very emotional voice mind you) but the result was that it kind of made my wife feel that much more uncomfortable doing so as it made her feel more "forced" to do so. But if she has to address them she'll usually call them by their first names.