What do people like in their keyboards....?

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Just a very basic peripheral that many i suspect take for granted. But in trying to choose a new one its difficult. Do i go with a very cheap keyboard or do i try to get one of the more expensive "ergonomic" that have a many many features. I just want a keyboard that works well, does not seem cheap and allows me to type properly.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
A cheap membrane keyboard would do just fine (for a very large majority of keyboard users) if you don't mind not having the tactility of a mechanical keyboard. Media keys are always handy to have, macro keys if you like more flexibility.

Personally, I would like a Corsair K70, but a cheaper version without back lit as there were complaints of the LEDs dying, and a normal space bar. It has all the media keys I need and it looks awesome. My other choice would be Filco Ninja. Very basic but I like its key caps and the way that the letters are written on the side rather than on the keys themselves.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I like a standard keyboard layout (although Microsoft has a few keyboards with a slightly different enter key and I like those as well), I like LEDs on the keys, cause I can work with the lights off and still see the keyboard, I like media keys, because I listen to music on a proper media player, and I like mechanical switches, although those usually come with a premium price tag and mostly without media keys or LEDs, so I don't have a mechanical keyboard at the moment, though I'd surely love to.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I like silence. I like enough separation between the keys so I don't get a lot of typos by accidentally hitting the edge of an adjacent key simultaneously with my fat finger tips. :) I also like an illuminated KB with selectable brightness levels. I like responsiveness to a light touch - am not a pounder.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
In a new keyboard, it needs to have an easy way to disable the left windows key (at work, I use a paperclip). It should have some resistance, several mm of travel, not take an input until that resistance has been fully exhausted, and I should feel when that happens, at least back as far as my elbow.

Also, flat "chiclet" style keycaps are just plain bad. Spherical would be ideal, but is basically impossible to find. Cylindrical, AKA sculpted, do fine.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
If I were to choose only one option which I like about keyboard's then undoubtedly it's the 'back-light'.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Just a very basic peripheral that many i suspect take for granted. But in trying to choose a new one its difficult. Do i go with a very cheap keyboard or do i try to get one of the more expensive "ergonomic" that have a many many features. I just want a keyboard that works well, does not seem cheap and allows me to type properly.

Why are you concerned about whether it looks cheap? Is to put up an appearance for clients or what?
I've gotten used to the feel of mechanical switches and prefer the tenkeyless size.

WhiplashGT

Mar 12, 2014
I like my Corsair K70 that I've been using for about 10 month alot. Coming from MS Ergonomic Keyboard that I used for nearly 10 years, I was skeptical of goning back to the traditional key layout, but since I really don't type that much, losing that split and sculpted layout hasn't been too big of an issue.

The back lighting on the K70 is very flexible as it lets me turn off majority of the LEDs. I only have the E, S, D, F keys lit. It looks very sharp, crisp, and over all professional for a gaming brand keyboard. The mechanical switches feel concise, and the feedback is fantastic. The cable is braided, which looks fantastic, but it's awfully thick. (I guess it's for the USB). I do knock little things down with the cable as I move the keyboard around often.

It's not cheap, but everyone measure value differently. Aside from unforeseen mechanical failure, I'll keep this K70 for another 10 years.

I'm about 30% CAD, 30% Photoshop, 30% gaming, and 10% web browsing, FYI.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I like my Corsair K70 that I've been using for about 10 month alot. Coming from MS Ergonomic Keyboard that I used for nearly 10 years, I was skeptical of goning back to the traditional key layout, but since I really don't type that much, losing that split and sculpted layout hasn't been too big of an issue.

The back lighting on the K70 is very flexible as it lets me turn off majority of the LEDs. I only have the E, S, D, F keys lit. It looks very sharp, crisp, and over all professional for a gaming brand keyboard. The mechanical switches feel concise, and the feedback is fantastic. The cable is braided, which looks fantastic, but it's awfully thick. (I guess it's for the USB). I do knock little things down with the cable as I move the keyboard around often.

It's not cheap, but everyone measure value differently. Aside from unforeseen mechanical failure, I'll keep this K70 for another 10 years.

I'm about 30% CAD, 30% Photoshop, 30% gaming, and 10% web browsing, FYI.

I love my Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard and could not see ever going back to a normal keyboard. The cushioned palm rest seals the deal for me.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I think that my Logitech g710+ has the best features of any kb I've owned to date. I only wish it had different colored backlighting.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Adjustable lighting. My Saitek Eclipse II fits my needs more than any other. I have to threaten my daughter at least once a week when I catch her eating cereal over it and dripping milk on it like it was waterproof.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
1. Solid feel - I don't like keyboards that squeak or bend as I type.
2. Tactile actuation - I prefer mechanical springs that click when they activate so I don't have to push the key to the bottom. This means cherry blues, cherry greens or buckling springs.
3. Durable keycaps - typical cheap keycaps lose their texture and can have the key legends fade. I have been using PBT keycaps at work and they still look brand new after two years.
4. Traction on the desk - I like keyboards with large rubber pads on the bottom. Some keyboards that aren't perfectly flat can wobble or slide around the desk which is annoying.

Some gaming keyboards have 1000 hz polling, NKRO and back lights, but I dont find these to be important for me. I think that 1 ms polling is more important on the mouse which aims and has the fire button. I Have never in my years of gaming run into a situation where 2-3 key rollover has been an issue. I also touch type and usually game with the lights on so my eyes don't get fatigued.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Some gaming keyboards have 1000 hz polling, NKRO and back lights, but I dont find these to be important for me. I think that 1 ms polling is more important on the mouse which aims and has the fire button. I Have never in my years of gaming run into a situation where 2-3 key rollover has been an issue. I also touch type and usually game with the lights on so my eyes don't get fatigued.

Does 1000hz polling on keyboards have a practical use in gaming or is it just a useless feature?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm still using a cheap keyboard I bought in 1998. I'm semi tempted to get a Cherry K1 business keyboard that I've bought a few for customers and the response is nice for fast typing (minimal effort with key pressing).

Yet I'm also curious to know how many miles I can get out of this keyboard :)

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
Does 1000hz polling on keyboards have a practical use in gaming or is it just a useless feature?

The idea is that reporting ever 1 ms (1000 Hz) instead of every 8 ms (125 Hz) results in quicker and more consistent timing between button presses and response in the game world. I think that this is very slightly noticeable in mice, but in keyboards it is much harder to perceive the difference because it takes a few ms to press a keyboard key anyways.

Feb 25, 2011
The idea is that reporting ever 1 ms (1000 Hz) instead of every 8 ms (125 Hz) results in quicker and more consistent timing between button presses and response in the game world. I think that this is very slightly noticeable in mice, but in keyboards it is much harder to perceive the difference because it takes a few ms to press a keyboard key anyways.

I would seem irrelevant if you've got 60ms ping to the server anyway.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

Thats what I remember too. A rather significant improvement for mice (from 125hz, placebo after 500hz) but zero improvement for keyboards. How many people can hammer out >125cps anyway.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The difference with mice is that you're after a mental synchronization between what you see and what you feel. There is an expected place and motion at an expected time. There are three dimensions to be concerned about: X, Y, and T, and it's a vector of them, at that.

It's not that you can respond in so little time as a ms or two, but that you can detect emergent jitter caused by the constant sample intervals, but variable game input request intervals.

The keyboard, on the other hand, just has time and whether a key is pressed or not.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard at home. Sometimes I like it and sometimes it is a pain. It has a button at top left for home on the Internet. If you press it your Home webpage on the Internet will pop up. I suppose I could also Program a few function keys also. As a keyboard with a touchpad, the touchpad is a little on the sensitive side. It takes some getting use to if you have never used a laptop keyboard like myself. Might help if I researched a few of the Windows shortcuts.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I'm still rocking the Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro. I think they stopped making them in about 2004, but you can still buy them new in the box from sellers on eBay. I have two more new ones for when the current one wears out. It's even got a couple of USB 1.0(!) ports that I don't use.

Love the feel of the keys. They don't "click", but they have great tactile feedback. Fairly quiet, although not completely so. The keyboard has a very satisfying heft to it as well and doesn't go sliding around unless you actually want to move it.

It's the only keyboard I've used in the past 14 years or more. Between work and home I've probably gone through at at least ten of them.

41GAF0DXQ1L.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
Laptop (MacBook Air), I'll stick with what's on it. It's not bad. Been using Apple's laptops for over half a decade now (nearly a decade) and I've been fine with that.

If it's docked though (to a screen) or I'm using my gaming PC, I prefer to use a mechanical keyboard. Matias is my favourite because their custom keys are more silent than the 'normal'/traditional mechanical keyboard.

Still makes a solid sound though, and still retains the touch, but nevertheless it's still a lot better.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I love my Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard and could not see ever going back to a normal keyboard. The cushioned palm rest seals the deal for me.

Myself also, straight keyboards drive me nuts now. I'm on my third one.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
I like an extra key in easy place. MS Natural Pro has "Sleep" in top right (like Carson's MS Internet Keyb Pro). MS 4000 Ergo has Favorites "*" in the middle. Ducky G2Pro has "Home" in top right.

Why a key? Something to bind "Lock screen" action to.