What do I need to know about Pepper Spray?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Saw some in a sporting goods store for $5 and mrsskoorb wanted to buy some. Cool! So is there anything special we should know before buying some? Probably get her one for her purse or something or maybe the glove compartment of the car...

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
i believe some states require you to have an FID card if you carry it on your person/use it.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Good question, Skoorb. I've been thinking along the same lines here, although I hate the idea of needing it. Just precautions.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Don't use it in a high wind blowing at you. Pepper spray is only helpful if you can use it. If Mrs. Skoob is in a walking through a dark parking lot, tell her to keep it in her hand with the safety turned off, not in her purse where she would have to dig for it! If you want to, go to somewhere outside not near anything or anyone and spray some around(NOT AT YOURSELFS) in order to recognize how the sprayer works, and what it smells like. It will make you eyes water just being around the spray.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
goto your local police station, fill out a form and pay the fee. $3-$5 or so.

oh forgot to mention that they are supposed to do a background check on you before they issue the permit. This vary from state to state.

Rich

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
Also, from personal experience (long story), DO NOT CARRY IT IN YOUR POCKET!!

My wife has a little mace thing on her keychain, I stuck it in my pocket, and when I went to the keys out, It must have discharged a little in my pocket because after I got it out I rubbed my face!@!!!!! Bad Idea that was!!!! A friend of mine had to take me by the hand and take me to a nearby hose to wash my face off. I tell you what, Mace works!!! ;)

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
The stuff is useless.

It would have to be carried with finger poised on the spray button, ready for use to be of marginal use. Also consider the wind direction, might end up spraying herself.

Take a martial arts/self defense class.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
A friend of mine's dog loves the stuff ..
rolleye.gif
..the postman hates that dog ;)

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
If you really want effective pepper spray order it from the Galls police supply site. I think they will sell it to civillians and what you get from Galls may be a little more expensive but far more potent. Also, the previous poster was correct. Pepper spray as a personal defense weapon is really only effective if you can access and deploy it VERY quicly. I remember helping out at a Rape Agression Defense class where one of the women stated that she was safe because she had her pepper spray. I asked her to please take it out. It took her ten seconds to unzip her huge bag, fumble through it and get out the pepper spray. The pepper spray was in a leather pouch with a snap release that took another few seconds to unsnap. TRUST ME THAT WILL Not work. If you can put it on your keychain and keep your hand on it while walking to your car etc. It would be effective. Remember, it is a weapon designed to give you the chance to ESCAPE. Spray and run. If your are concerned about safety your local police department will most likely have free RAD classes for women available or know where to go for one.

Also, be sure to check your local and state regulations.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: AmerDoux
The stuff is useless.

It would have to be carried with finger poised on the spray button, ready for use to be of marginal use. Also consider the wind direction, might end up spraying herself.

Stream & foam forms of spray are available to help in windy situations. Only problem is that you have to be a good aim.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Ineffective. The hours needed for a 130 lb woman to effectively beat off a 200+ lb man are huge. It can be done but would require a lot of dedicated time.

petrek

Apr 11, 2001
Saw the cops use it yesterday at the local sev. The guy wasn't in any shape to go anywhere, but for some reason he still thought he could avoid arrest and came | close to getting his arm nicely broken.

D

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Ineffective. The hours needed for a 130 lb woman to effectively beat off a 200+ lb man are huge. It can be done but would require a lot of dedicated time.

Are you saying I weigh 130 lbs? On ANANDTECH????? :Q

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: pandapanda
There's no permit needed in Alabama for pepper spray. None needed in your surrounding states either.
Where did you find that?

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb

You would be surprised how effective some of the techniques that can be taught are. Absolute size and strength are not always the determining factor. With a few relatively short classes simple but effective techniques can be taught to just about anyone. I have seen a 100 pound female effectively stun and escape from a 200+ pound man wearing a Red Man padded suit after only six hours of training.

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau6183
The stuff is useless.

Stream & foam forms of spray are available to help in windy situations. Only problem is that you have to be a good aim.

Aim is one problem, but the biggest issue is the ability to inflict some serious physical damage to an assailant. Most women are not willing to do this or do not know how. Simply using a neat little gadget wont protect you. Martial arts is great, but the self defense classes are better. They specifically address the issue of assault and how to protect yourself.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Beau6183
The stuff is useless.

Aim is one problem, but the biggest issue is the ability to inflict some serious physical damage to an assailant. Most women are not willing to do this or do not know how. Simply using a neat little gadget wont protect you. Martial arts is great, but the self defense classes are better. They specifically address the issue of assault and how to protect yourself.

I'd like to see someone pursue after getting 5mil SHU spray in their eyes, lungs, skin... I've had 3mil on me (product training and demo) and I thought I was gonna die.

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
You would be surprised how effective some of the techniques that can be taught are. Absolute size and strength are not always the determining factor. With a few relatively short classes simple but effective techniques can be taught to just about anyone. I have seen a 100 pound female effectively stun and escape from a 200+ pound man wearing a Red Man padded suit after only six hours of training.[/quote]

Precisely! Size has nothing to do with it.