What do I get the girlfriend's father for his birthday?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Here's what you need to know:

-Traditional korean father
-Business man; likes to open new businesses and capitalize on selling them years later (dry cleaning, liquor store, etc)
-Doesnt do much other than working
-He does go running about 3 miles every morning
-Has a thick accent

We dont know each other very well, and despite his daughter and me being together for more than 1.5 years, we have only recently started to socialize and get closer. I was thinking about getting him a heart-rate monitor watch, but all of the ones I have seen have the chest strap. I would rather get him one that does not require any chest strap. Other than the watch, I really don't have any other ideas. He is strongly considering opening up a new liquor store, and I was thinking about finding a book on the liquor store business, but I have not had any luck finding such a book.

Any other gifts I should consider?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
I don't think a heart rate monitor is a good idea. Getting him a GC to the Sports Authority or some other sporting goods store would be a good idea.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Barely legal Japanese girl in school uniform popping outta a giant cake.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Baked

Id rather someone do that for my birthday instead.:D

Are there any koreans here who could help a cracker out? what are some thoughtful, yet traditional korean gifts?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

Are there any koreans here who could help a cracker out? what are some thoughtful, yet traditional korean gifts?
A cabbage plantation?

/me runs away

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
well he already knows the business so I think a book would be useless, what about an MP3 player for when he goes jogging?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard

A cabbage plantation?

/me runs away

Son of a ....................

And my gf's family makes their own kimche, so NO cabbage.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: S Freud
well he already knows the business so I think a book would be useless, what about an MP3 player for when he goes jogging?

I don't mind at all spending the money to get him an MP3 player even thought we dont really know each other well, but Im afraid that if I spend too much money, It might come off wrong. Almost like Im trying to buy my respect from him.

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
I bought my (now ex) gf's dad a bottle of wine one Christmas... this was before I found out he was a recovering alcoholic. Awkward.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: UNESC0
I bought my (now ex) gf's dad a bottle of wine one Christmas... this was before I found out he was a recovering alcoholic. Awkward.

LOL, sorry I should have mentioned that he doesn't drink at all. And I mean NONE AT ALL.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Does he drink tea? Get him some imported tea leaves from China. They got some expensive tea over there.

Originally posted by: us3rnotfound
Test the waters by giving him a blank check.

He said gf's dad, not gf's mom.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
If you're a good cook, bake him a cake and write a message on it with frosting. It does wonders, believe me :p.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Vegitto
If you're a good cook, bake him a cake and write a message on it with frosting. It does wonders, believe me :p.

Order a premade one from Costco for pickup, nobody's gonna know you didn't bake it. To make it more authentic, ask Costco to leave the cake blank so you can do the drawing yourself.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

Order a premade one from Costco for pickup, nobody's gonna know you didn't bake it. To make it more authentic, ask Costco to leave the cake blank so you can do the drawing yourself.

That might be a good idea, Im keeping this one in mind. :thumbsup:

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard

A cabbage plantation?

/me runs away

Let me try, a dog farm?

/me runs away with Howard

But seriously, don't buy him a watch. I doubt you are buying him a very expensive watch, therefore he would probably just trash it once he receives the gift.

I second on buying a mp3 player or a pair of earphones.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
two things to get him:

1. picture in a picture frame, scenery.

2. birthday card with promising words. mention nothing about the relationship with you and his daughter, it may sound like a marriage proposal...

p.s. if your handwriting sucks, have someone else write the card.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

That might be a good idea, Im keeping this one in mind. :thumbsup:

Yeah, cheat! That's always a good idea. Then, when he (or anyone else) asks you to bake a cake when they're around ,you'll fail miserably and get laughed at :p.

Seriously, if you like the guy, just do it yourself. There's nothing that says "I like you"/"I love you"/"I just wanna bang your daughter" like something you made yourself. :p

SoftwareEng

Apr 24, 2005
universal gift certificate (american express, sold at most stores), and say:

"Sir, I look forward to getting to know you better. Until I do, please accept this gift :)"

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
You definately want to get him something he'll actually enjoy, while making sure it's not too cheesey or feminine. I'd probably recommend a bottle of his favorite hard liquor. Or, if he's a smoker, maybe some high-end cigars or something.

Don't forget... in his mind the quality and consideration you put into his gift will be indicative of how well you'll likely take care of his daughter, so don't be cheap whatever you do. ;)