What Divided Government Scenario Would You Prefer?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I think McCain would work better with a Democratic congress than Obama would with a Republica congress.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Obama with republican, but there's not a chance in hell that the democrats aren't going to increase their margins this year.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
McCain with a democratic congress. Would be damn sweet to see McCain veto a record number of bills due to earmarks. It would be great to see the pork spending stopped.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Obama as President

Newt as Speaker of the House

I think McCain will do fine with a Democrat congress. He has a history of working with Democrats.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: quest55720
McCain with a democratic congress. Would be damn sweet to see McCain veto a record number of bills due to earmarks. It would be great to see the pork spending stopped.

and the cow jumps over the moon and the dish runs away with the spoon... would never happen... he wants pork sent to his state, too...

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: quest55720

All this loud talk about pork spending and earmarks - the thing is the money was pre-appropriated for projects to begin with. Senators and Representatives just take out of that pre-appropriated pile for their constituent projects. Plus, pork spending is at most 1% of the Federal Budget. I'm sure there are bigger things that can be cut if we want to cut wasteful spending.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Infohawk
I think McCain would work better with a Democratic congress than Obama would with a Republica congress.

:confused:
What happened to the real Infohawk?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You should have an either choice. Either of the parties completely controlling two branches of government (and heavily influencing the third) will result in disaster. Both parties have some dumbass ideas and they keep each other in check a bit when neither has complete control.

Bush with a filibuster proof Leg. is just as scary as Obama with a filibuster proof Leg.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Personally? Screw both major parties.

If I had to use these two major parties, Dem President with Republican Congress.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
To rephrase the question,

Would you prefer the Republicans to control the presidency, with control over the military and the ability to treat it like the only branch that matters, or a rubber-stamp congress?

When you look at it that way, the question is, where would the Republicans do less harm, and so one is led to the Democrats having the presidency, and vetoing congress.

The only situation that will help America much is progressive government for both.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
More will get done with a McCann/Demo Congress, because the Demo Congress will fold like it has been. Obama and a Repub Congress is going to be a huge battle. The Repubs are great at organizing the senate and the house. Look what Clinton had to fight against.

I am pretty convince that the Demo's will dominant the congress this next election. They haven't done anything in the last two years, but they really didn't have to. It is very unlikely the Repubs fighting for the seats will be able to convince many people they will do better for the econ and the war.

The only reason the Pres election is even in debate is because Obama is black. If he was a white guy, he'd have it in the bag. Period.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Obama with a Republican Congress. The Legislative branch has been so weakened in the last 50 years that it is no longer a co-equal branch. I'd take the executive over it any day.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Donny Baker
Originally posted by: Mursilis

:confused:
What happened to the real Infohawk?

Clinton supporter...

"When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me."

I don't really like any of this year's candidates.