What Did You Want To Be When You Were A Kid?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
DBase IV?

What was the last PC you built for a client? I gather that you don't do much PC related stuff these days, right? Got tired of it?
I took a class in database programming and the book was dBase but we programmed in Foxpro for DOS. I bought a book in the first version of Foxpro for Windows, which is sort of enhanced dBase, and started getting jobs.

I didn't build PCs for other people, I did it for myself.

I still program for myself, I have an elaborate self-developed information management system in FoxPro I work with daily. But I don't do it professionally any more.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Visual FoxPro 9? It works fine in Windows 10/11?
Yes, VFP 9.0. It works fine in W10, and I assume W11, but I've never used W11. However, a lot of the software I use (developed myself) has FoxPro 2.6a for Windows screens and I can't run that on 64bit Windows. So, one of my laptops runs 32bit Windows 10 in case I need to work on any of those screens. Which is rare, partly because it's not especially convenient and I don't have any pressing reason to make any changes to those screens.

I have another program that I use sometimes that needs 32 bit Windows.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I briefly entertained the idea of being a pastry chef. Same here. That would have been an awful career choice.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wanted to be a chef or a stand-up comedian. I'm glad I did not pursue either of those paths.
Neither is easy. Being a chef would grow old if for no other reason than that you are on your feet all day.

Stand up comedy is hard, there's no other way to put it. This documentary really gets this across. Jerry Seinfeld Comedian.

Being a stand up comedian could be fantastic if you're good at it. It's hard to get going and keep it going but if it's working for you, wow, it can be great.

I figure one of the greatest jobs around is being a basketball coach. Again, a very challenging job, can be gut wrenching, but the upside can be out of this world. Of course, I get ideas like that when I watch the games on TV... I'm talking college BB. You don't aspire to something like that when you're a kid, you want to play. Of course, playing BB at a high level is a world of its own.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Neither is easy. Being a chef would grow old if for no other reason than that you are on your feet all day.

Stand up comedy is hard, there's no other way to put it. This documentary really gets this across. Jerry Seinfeld Comedian.
Yeah, if I'd had more awareness about what it took to be a musician or programmer, I'd probably have wanted to do one of those things. I thought the skill barrier was much higher than it actually is. And I did end up being a programmer through luck, basically--having a knack for writing code was obviously instrumental, of course. Just wasn't looking for that as a job when it came up as an opportunity.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, if I'd had more awareness about what it took to be a musician or programmer, I'd probably have wanted to do one of those things. I thought the skill barrier was much higher than it actually is. And I did end up being a programmer through luck, basically--having a knack for writing code was obviously instrumental, of course. Just wasn't looking for that as a job when it came up as an opportunity.
I had the idea to be a programmer back in the middle 1970's when I took some programming courses at the U (Algol, Fortran). I was good at it, it came naturally, but I didn't pursue it beyond trying to get jobs at a few companies and nobody hired me. I got by one way or another but nothing professional until I got tired of crummy temp work and started taking community college courses in IT in the early 1990's. A guy I knew from high school told me he thought I'd be good in database programming and I took a class or two, bought a book, read it cover to cover and started getting jobs. That was my only career. Didn't last too long (less than 10 years) but was satisfying in a lot of ways. I still do database stuff for myself to manage "personal" info, so to speak. Things I would forget for sure I can look up. It's more than handy.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Probably a lot of things, I imagine?

6352be54-d048-41ed-99db-34e36530c5d5_text.gif

For a while I wanted to make a product just like Deluxe Paint and spent a fair bit of time designing what the splash screen would look like, in Deluxe Paint. I didn't get any further with that particular project.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Probably a lot of things, I imagine?

6352be54-d048-41ed-99db-34e36530c5d5_text.gif

For a while I wanted to make a product just like Deluxe Paint and spent a fair bit of time designing what the splash screen would look like, in Deluxe Paint. I didn't get any further with that particular project.
That does remind me of when I designed a video game level back in like 5th grade or so, platformer style.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That was my LIFE GOal also!! My friends laughed at me. But look at us now!!

BTW, when will we receive our first ATOT checks for contributing to the forums? I heard the pay is gooood. :)
Take a number

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
An adult. Now I'm not as keen on it.

I remember as a kid I couldn't wait to be an adult and in the real world. The part I didn't realize was the sheer amount of bills that comes with being a grown up though. Just because I work does not mean I have unlimited money to do what I want as there are lot of financial obligations that come with adulthood that I just did not realize as a kid. It's not like you can save up, buy a house, and have no expenses anymore. That's what I thought as a kid. Then I learned about taxes and bills.

That said I pretty much am living what my childhood dream was. Having a house, being able to build stuff, make changes to it etc. I sometimes look back and miss my childhood from a nostalgia sense, but I wouldn't nececerily want to go back. The best part of adulthood is being done with school. I don't miss that one bit. It's nice getting home from work, and work is actually over. With school, you always have homework or studying to do, and your work is never really done.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I remember as a kid I couldn't wait to be an adult and in the real world. The part I didn't realize was the sheer amount of bills that comes with being a grown up though. Just because I work does not mean I have unlimited money to do what I want as there are lot of financial obligations that come with adulthood that I just did not realize as a kid. It's not like you can save up, buy a house, and have no expenses anymore. That's what I thought as a kid. Then I learned about taxes and bills.

That said I pretty much am living what my childhood dream was. Having a house, being able to build stuff, make changes to it etc. I sometimes look back and miss my childhood from a nostalgia sense, but I wouldn't nececerily want to go back. The best part of adulthood is being done with school. I don't miss that one bit. It's nice getting home from work, and work is actually over. With school, you always have homework or studying to do, and your work is never really done.
1679755534-20230325.png

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net

I wouldn't want to be a kid again, either. I do what I love for a living and don't have to answer to anyone as long as I keep paying those bills and stay on the right side of the law.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I wanted to be one of those kids on milk cartons. Seriously, (OP) this guy is a bot, troll with a fake account.

Show me one Gizmo J thread or post where he talks about a computer build or anything technology related. This is a computer tech forum.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wanted to be one of those kids on milk cartons. Seriously, (OP) this guy is a bot, troll with a fake account.

Show me one Gizmo J thread or post where he talks about a computer build or anything technology related. This is a computer tech forum.
Yeah, he seems like a fish out of water here.

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013

Last edited:

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006

Nothing you have ever posted is pertaining to a computer build that you put together. Everything you list is a cut and paste job of abstract things that you found on google.