What did Turkey do to make Obama break his campaign promise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
During his campaign, Obama showed his understanding of Armenian Genocide and promised to recognize it at a national level. As of today, most states (at least 40) have already officially recognized the Armenian Genocide. Hawaii was the recent one. The major state that strongly refrains from doing so is Texas.

"I also share with Armenian Americans ? so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors ? a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgment of the Armenian Genocide.

"Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term 'genocide' to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary (Condoleezza) Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy.

"Genocide, sadly, persists to this day, and threatens our common security and common humanity. Tragically, we are witnessing in Sudan many of the same brutal tactics - displacement, starvation, and mass slaughter - that were used by the Ottoman authorities against defenseless Armenians back in 1915. I have visited Darfurian refugee camps, pushed for the deployment of a robust multinational force for Darfur, and urged divestment from companies doing business in Sudan. America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President."

"As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide."

Just weeks before April 24 (day of remembrance of AG) Obama visited Turkey during his European trip. What do you think Turkey did to make Obama break his campaign promise?

Historically, it been shown that the "last step" of many genocides was to deny it (even a well documented one like the Holocaust has deniers). Obviously, Obama is not denying the Armenian Genocide, but there must be something between US and Turkey that made him refrain from recognizing it, and break the campaign promise.

EDIT: link to today's story

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Have a link to the story of his position, including any explanation he provided?

For what it's worth I'm in favor of recognizing it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: gevorg
During his campaign, Obama showed his understanding of Armenian Genocide and promised to recognize it at a national level. As of today, most states (at least 40) have already officially recognized the Armenian Genocide. Hawaii was the recent one. The major state that strongly refrains from doing so is Texas.

"I also share with Armenian Americans ? so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors ? a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgment of the Armenian Genocide.

"Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term 'genocide' to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary (Condoleezza) Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy.

"Genocide, sadly, persists to this day, and threatens our common security and common humanity. Tragically, we are witnessing in Sudan many of the same brutal tactics - displacement, starvation, and mass slaughter - that were used by the Ottoman authorities against defenseless Armenians back in 1915. I have visited Darfurian refugee camps, pushed for the deployment of a robust multinational force for Darfur, and urged divestment from companies doing business in Sudan. America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President."

"As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide."

Just weeks before April 24 (day of remembrance of AG) Obama visited Turkey during his European trip. What do you think Turkey did to make Obama break his campaign promise?

Historically, it been shown that the "last step" of many genocides was to deny it (even a well documented one like the Holocaust has deniers). Obviously, Obama is not denying the Armenian Genocide, but there must be something between US and Turkey that made him refrain from recognizing it, and break the campaign promise.

EDIT: link to today's story

Did he break his campaign promise???
NOPE!! Just because he didn`t choose to follow through on his campaign promise in the time period that YOU believe he should does not mean that he broke anything...

So go back to your bedroom and let your parents have their computer back!!

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
NOPE!! Just because he didn`t choose to foloow through on his campaign promise in the time period that YOU believe he should does not mean that he broke anything...

I guess there is a better occasion to recognize the genocide some day other than than the Genocide Remembrance Day.

Samantha Powers might be regretting making this video

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It's because of NATO and the Danish Mohammed cartoons.

Turkey was needed to approve Rasmussen (the Danish Prime Minister) as the new Secretary-General. Turkey was initially opposed to Rasmussen because of the vast racism and bigotry during his reign. It took Obama to smooth the situation over, something he probably could not have done if he antagonized Turkey with a genocide declaration.

Turkey and Armenia are also working out their issues, including the historical account. It would be best not to disturb the advances. Canada recently threw a wrench into it and fucking it up, the US should just wait a bit.

Obama brings at least a show of unity to Nato

Then, on Saturday Mr Obama brokered a deal between Abdullah Gul, president of Turkey, and Anders Fogh Rasmussen, Denmark's prime minister, that enabled the latter to be approved as Nato's next secretary-general.

Failure to agree on Mr Rasmussen would have been a fiasco at Nato's 60th anniversary summit.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Did we pass a bill nationally recognizing it yet? All he said that he would sign such a bill if it came to his desk.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: sciwizam
NOPE!! Just because he didn`t choose to foloow through on his campaign promise in the time period that YOU believe he should does not mean that he broke anything...

I guess there is a better occasion to recognize the genocide some day other than than the Genocide Remembrance Day.

Like I stated.......
Just because Obama didn`t recognize the Armenian Genocide on Genocide Remembrance Day does NOT mean he didn`t follow through on his Campaign promise!!

Actually there is a better time and that is when Obama is good and ready.....

Show me any time when he was campaigning that he said he would recognize the Armenian Genocide on Genocide Remembrance Day....

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: sciwizam

Like I stated.......
Just because you Obama didn`t recognize the Armenian Genicde on Genocide Remembrance Day does NOT mean he didn`t follow through on his Campaign promise!!

Actually there is a better time and that is when Obama is good and ready.....

Show me any time when he was campaigning that he said he would recognize the Armenian Genocide on Genocide Remembrance Day....

It's a fair question to ask why this isn't happening (yet).

It's not fair to turn it into a *broekn* campaign promise, when he has not changed his position.

On the one hand, one reason might be 'he's sorta busy, in case you didn't notice', on the other, the standard response has (correctly) been, they can multi-task.

I don't see any harm in their asking for a comment to confirm his position is the same, why the wait, what the plan is, even whether there are any issues with Turkey.

After all, in the horse-trading of diplomacy, this is just the sort of thing that might get traded, sadly - it's free, financially if not morally, and matters to Turkey.

Turning it into 'he's a big liar' is just the right shooting irresponsibly blanks as usual.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Maybe he met these American Armenians and came to the conclusion that maybe Turkey was right in doing what they did. I'm just sayin

Eh Red, what do guidos have to do with Armenians?

Armenia is a little off to the right from Italy.

Back to the OP - we should recognize the genocide. It happened. My grandparents on my mother's side left Armenia just a year before the Turks came. As a child, I heard many horrific stories from those that weren't as fortunate as my grandparents.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How does recognizing the Armenian genocide benefit the US?

Why should Americans give the slightest shit about it one way or another?

Were we involved in any way? Did the Turks kill American citizens?

Sorry, but while I do not approve of genocide, the mere recognition of something that happened 100 years ago doesn't even appear on my "give-a-shit" meter...

Status
Not open for further replies.