RunForestRun

Sep 7, 2018
I have installed Windows 10 on my desktop PC. My question is: Does Windows 10 store any data in the UEFI or motherboard itself, and if yes, what kind of data?
I'm asking this because I'm looking to format my system as completely and thoroughly as possible. How should one go about this?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
There is no data stored on anything but your hard drive. Just format your hard drive and reinstall Windows as usual.

Now if you are formatting because you don't want anyone to recover any data then you'd be looking at low-level multipass wiping of the hard drive.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The only thing that comes to mind quickly is the BIOS data which stored in the ROM BIOS chip. Otherwise, what Davey says.

RunForestRun

Sep 7, 2018
The only thing that comes to mind quickly is the BIOS data which stored in the ROM BIOS chip. Otherwise, what Davey says.
Doesn't that chip contain information about the BIOS/UEFI settings mostly? Stuff like Windows 10 OEM keys don't save data or keys there?
I remember hearing that removing the BIOS battery would be the best way if you need to reset BIOS, let's say because of a forgotten password. Doesn't that void your mobo's warranty though?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
ROMBIOS chips can be replaced. They control the PC boot cycle. Windows is loaded after the computer has booted.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I was reading that a Dell laptop I am working oncould contain model & install key info. I didn’t confirm it as I was able to get the key through a power shell command instead.