What CPU(s) did you use for your friend's or family members gaming rig?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What CPU(s) did you use for your friend's or family members gaming rig?

• Core i7

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Core i5

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Core i3

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Pentium/Celeron

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • FX 8 core

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • FX 6 core

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • FX 4 core

• A10 APU

• A8 APU

• Athlon x4

• Total voters
Aug 11, 2008
Which shows that one doesn't need to overclock their Intel CPU, necessarily, to gain adequate performance in those games.

And also that one may not have to pay the premium price for an Intel part.

I saw some higher max framerates on the AMD CPU in some of those tests, though — and some minimums as well.

SLI 970 was a very popular choice with enthusiasts, particularly before Nvidia's RAM scheme was exposed.
Is that the same 970 that you said in an earlier post you were boycotting?? And I am sure a modern skylake quad would be faster than an ancient IB-E in nearly any game not gpu limited. In any case, all this is off topic. The OP was simply asking what cpu one used, not mountains of benchmarks to try to prove a certain CPU is a good value.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Is that the same 970 that you said in an earlier post you were boycotting??
Yes. I wasn't the reviewer who tested them. I do think it's amusing to act like 970 SLI is an unusual configuration when Nvidia's primary benefit in scamming enthusiasts with its 4 GB of RAM scheme was to fool them into thinking the 970 had the same amount of VRAM as the (prior to 980 Ti) quite pricey 980 — prompting them to see the 970 in SLI as a particularly good value alternative to picking up a 980.

But, if you have any other red herrings you'd like to share...

Fact is that not everyone boycotts these and plenty of people already have them. My position on the card is about buying one not referencing its results in benchmarks.

The OP was simply asking what cpu one used, not mountains of benchmarks to try to prove a certain CPU is a good value.
A poll with no data is meaningless. Argumentum ad populum is a fallacy.

sttubs

Oct 3, 2008
I usually used the AMD 4350, does a nice job, now they run $70 on sale at the Egg.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I didn't vote. In the past 3 years, most computers I have given/built for family (nieces and nephews playing Minecraft, mostly) have been Core 2 Quad machines with 4GB RAM and an entry-level GPU (vanilla 750 was the most powerful).

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I almost exclusively just buy Dell OptiPlex machines from eBay and refurbish to whatever specific needs/budget these days.

Need a basic email/Facebook/etc machine? i3 (SB) with whatever it comes with, typically 4GB/500GB and DVD for movies.

Low-end gaming machine for kids or older games? i5 (SB) with 4-8GB, 160GB Intel 320 SSD (refurbished, $35), add in a 750 Ti (Dell OEM models don't require 6-pin plug) if needed.

Mid-range gaming machine? i5 (IB or even Haswell) with 8GB, same SSD, beefier PSU, real video card. For these, biggest challenge is removing the HDD cage from the case so can install a longer GPU.

All of these I've done recently have accepted the Windows 10 install without issues, even after the "free" period expired. Have set up probably half dozen in the last year for friends/family seriously on the cheap, like $100 for base i3, $150-200 for i5 low end gaming, around $300 for mid-range gaming.