What cpu for these functions

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
I want to build a machine for diagnostics and virus/malware removal. I also want this machine for remote connections to other computers.

I'll be using separate system drives for each function to eliminate the possibility of virus issues during remote access.

I'd like a cpu that is a good performer without spending more than I have to, but will spend what's necessary to ensure good performance.

I'm pondering:

Gigabyte Intel H81 Motherboard

Intel Pentium G3220

or

Intel G3420

So, I guess I'm asking for opinions on these parts or recommendations for a cpu that will serve my purposes.

Thanks for your comments.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Any Pentium or better Haswell, and basically any Richland or Kaveri APU, will do just fine. Celerons might be OK, but would be borderline, and there's not much point in buying older mobos and CPUs for the same cost as current generation. A 2M4T AMD APU, or Core i3, would be unnecessary, but you would surely be able to feel an improvement over lesser CPUs, if you want better. Anything superior to that, like a faster than cheapest speed i3, any i5, etc., would be wasted.

IMO, it's not the CPU, so much as the SSD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171740
Faster shutdown, start up, OS updates, "host" system malware scans, and if needed, re-imaging or OS re-installing. For the money, that's hard to beat, IMO.

Remote access shouldn't be too limited by any modern fat core CPU on most networks, x1000 if over the internet. Scanning HDDs from other PCs will be limited by the HDD, every single time. But, this seems like a PC that may be shut down and reconfigured often, so save what time you can and avoid using HDDs for its OS(es).

Personally, I would just have the remote access OS instance as a virtual, instead of using multiple drives, if they must share the same hardware.

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
Seems like sound and economical advice. Can you elaborate on the VM...VM software recommendation on a budget (ATM) that would suffice for remote access? Thanks for your comments.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Try Virtualbox, with Windows 7, or an 8.1 eval. No cost, and you'll have 90 or 120 days before the guest OS suicides or requires activation, not using up any paid keys. If it works out, use a real key for the VM.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it's almost always more time/resource effective to "remove" a virus by backing up the users data and then restoring or reloading the system. Main thing would be to make sure your storage drive fast and on SATA, eSATA, or thunderbolt...

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks Cerb and Gunbuster. Much appreciated.

Gunbuster: Doesn't that sometimes present issues if a reload or restore is involved, but the customer has installed other programs and has no install disk for the application?

Last edited:

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
I second Cerbs proposal for an SSD, makes things so much smoother, even remote desktop connection works faster with an SSD and the system is snappier, needless to say its a must for virtual machines.

Bob.

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks, grimpr. I have several of the 120GB kingston V300. I'll use one of those as the boot drive. I truly appreciate the advice in this forum. Many helpful, knowledgeable posters. Thanks to all.