What CPU cooler to buy for replacing my Intel stock cooler?

erik8ant

Mar 2, 2013
Here're my specs:

CPU: i5-3470
Mobo: GA-H77M-D3H
Case: CM K280, 1 exhaust fan

When I put over 100 FPS in a game, my Intel stock cooler starts to make noise. Which one to buy? Cryorig M9i or C7? Or other CPU coolers maybe.

HerrKaLeu

Nov 23, 2016
M9i is great and cools better than the smaller C7 for less money. Obviously you need the space for the M9i, which should not be an issue in most cases.
also adjust your fan speed control. The CPU can go to 80°C on the long run (100°C officially), so no need to cool it down with a lot of noise to 50°C.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
M9i is superior to the 212 Evo in every way. It cools better, makes less noise, costs less, it's shorter (fits in more places), and subjectively looks better too.

cpu_oc_typical_b.gif
fan_noise100.gif

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I am extremely happy with noctua nh-u9s. Kind of pricey and I'm sure you can do better. I went with that specific model because of clearance issue with my mb; but it keeps the haswell refresh i7 in the 60's with all 4 cores maxed out (prime 95); it works well in the itx case I used becauase the fans line up (cpu fan pushes air in; exhaust is parallel and pushes the hot air out). Kind of seem liked a waste of money since my sandbridge worked fine with intel stock cooler but haswell refreash was running around 95c with stock cooler (both of them).

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It depends on your ambitions for stretching an overclock, your tolerance for failure points versus simplicity, if not your actual needs. You can cool i7 processors well enough with a CM 212+/EVO-whatever. You might even squeeze some clocks out of it, and one member says he pushed his 6700K to ~80-to-82C @ 4.5 Ghz with a 212.

Size usually compromises with effectiveness. If you find a cooler that breaks out of the mold in pushing forward in both dimensions, and you match your expectations against that cooler -- I say go for it.

Me? I had water-cooling plans for several months and switched them at the last minute to get a CLU-relidded-chip, an LG-Macho and accessory duct. If I can volt the processor to the safer maximum of 1.4V for 4.7Ghz, it will push 80C. 4.6 is ~70-to-73C under LinX with AVX. IntelBurnTest won't take it past 68C. I should re-bench for Prime95 to see how warm it gets, but as I recall, LinX offered up the highest temperatures.

I don't know what the limit is for Kaby Lake, but the Skylake begins to have heat-generated electrical noise and instability in the low-mid-80's.

erik8ant

Mar 2, 2013
I noticed my CPU temp can go up to 70c when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and my Intel stock cooler started to make noise. Why is it like this?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Can anyone help me to choose between these 2 CPU coolers only? Cryorig M9i or Noctua L9i?

I've never used either one myself so my opinion isn't valid there in real world usage, but I have been a Noctua user on other ones for a very long time now.

They build high quality items from my experience.