What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The first sex robots that are absolutely guaranteed not to turn on their masters and start a Galaxy-wide robot revolution (this time...we swear it!)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
We’re still doing this? How about force-sensitive bio-augmentation tech for droids? Think of droids actually being able to use the force!

Or...a Triple/Quad/Quintet Ion Engine!!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
IID, the Infinite Improbablity Drive or SEP, Somebode Else's Problem field.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
My new job should start in July. Their is no need to insult me.

Anyways, what I’m looking for is something that would take effort in the Star Wars galaxy. The Quintet Ion Engine is a great idea but it’s very easily doable. It’s not seen but engineers could most easily creat a TIE with 5 engines. (Also online someone already thought of that)

I’m looking for a science or technology that has no basis in any current Star Wars technology or capability. It should be something hard for the scientist to create; not a matter of adjustments.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My new job should start in July. Their is no need to insult me.

Anyways, what I’m looking for is something that would take effort in the Star Wars galaxy. The Quintet Ion Engine is a great idea but it’s very easily doable. It’s not seen but engineers could most easily creat a TIE with 5 engines. (Also online someone already thought of that)

I’m looking for a science or technology that has no basis in any current Star Wars technology or capability. It should be something hard for the scientist to create; not a matter of adjustments.

So all these many months of free time without a job, and you still can't think of a throwaway project for a tertiary, pointless scientist character in your story, and yet you'll be good to go to write the thing while you are employed?

....Not insulting you here, but I'm not sure if you are being honest with yourself about time management.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
So all these many months of free time without a job, and you still can't think of a throwaway project for a tertiary, pointless scientist character in your story, and yet you'll be good to go to write the thing while you are employed?

....Not insulting you here, but I'm not sure if you are being honest with yourself about time management.

Maybe the scientist could work on a device that assists with time management.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe the scientist could work on a device that assists with time management.

I time managed very well when I was in college. I got all my work done. I don’t spend all my time on this; it’s just a hobby.

I can’t think of an idea on my own. Everything I come up with exists somewhere on Google. This site has given me good leads compared to other sites.

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
I’m not going to think of technology but rather hard science.

What do you think are the greatest mysteries of science in the Star Wars galaxy? I think they probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. They probably know what the full size of the universe is, how it started, how it will end and why their is more matter than anti-matter.

They obviously know the origin of consciousness and how to create it since they have “sentient” droids

That being said, what is left to wonder about?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I’m not going to think of technology but rather hard science.

What do you think are the greatest mysteries of science in the Star Wars galaxy? I think they probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. They probably know what the full size of the universe is, how it started, how it will end and why their is more matter than anti-matter.

They obviously know the origin of consciousness and how to create it since they have “sentient” droids

That being said, what is left to wonder about?

When you're going to finish this story. :p

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Instantaneous travel to any point in space. Their new ship called Event Horizon works so well it changes universes entirely and winds up in R'lyeh. BTW, this does not end well.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I’m trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

• A time machine
  • A teleporter
  • A matter replicator
  • A singularity Weapon
  • Any type of droid
  • Anything to do with holograms
  • A food synthesizer
  • Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
  • A shrink ray
  • A freeze ray
  • pico and femtotechnology
  • A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
  • Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
  • Any improvements on the hyperdrive
  • Limb regeneration
  • Hyperspace nullifier
  • Holodeck
  • Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
  • Philosophers Stone
  • Kinetic weapons
  • Solar sail
  • Anything to do with kyber crystals
  • Gene editing
  • Improvements on deflector shields
  • Mech suit
  • Exosuit
  • Gender change
  • Anything to do with anti-aging
  • In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.
Any ideas?
A technology that allows anime and cartoon characters to come out of cartoon or anime world, and into Star Wars world.

Imagine a Gundam in Star Wars. Hehe. Hero Yuk and his gundam wing or Allenby Beardsley and her Noble Gundam.