What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Most science is suicidally boring to 95% of the populace.
Could have him doing geologic surveys and mineral composition assays for uncharted/undercharted worlds.
Which in Star Wars would likely mean he's just supervising a ship of drone-like science droids that collect scans and samples.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
A light saber with 4 blades. We've already seen ones with 2 or 3... it's time to develop the upgrade!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Some kind of nano tech that allows unprotected people who have been sucked out into space to effortlessly fly back to their spaceship. All they would have to do is wiggle a finger and they're on their way! o_O

Reactions: Maximum7

Maximum7

Sep 30, 2017
Some kind of nano tech that allows unprotected people who have been sucked out into space to effortlessly fly back to their spaceship. All they would have to do is wiggle a finger and they're on their way! o_O

I like the idea! What might one call this technology?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Any ideas?

An actual social life so he wouldn't feel the urge to write fan fiction stories? That being said whatever you write is almost certainly better than the scripts and plots that Lucas crapped out for the prequels. "It was a dark and stormy night" reads like Shakespeare compared to what Lucas produces.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He should be developing the theory that force sensitivity is not magic at all and really just dependent on the presence and significant concentration of unique, uh "magic" prokaryotes in an individuals blood, and design an instrument to measure them.

If he is seriously disinterested in the force--thinks it's hokum, maybe--then he should be working to prove that it's just simple biology, and initiate the technology that will eventually generate force-sensitive transgenic creatures.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
oh oh how about he was working on an ai that writes Star Trek fanfic since it is so much better than Star Wars?

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Mind stone: a stone with a black mirror shine that one can look into and gain access to ones’s inner most thoughts and reflect on ones infinite potentiality across the multiverse.

An Adoy cloak: a grey cloak that makes you green and small when you are afraid.

Antidepressants.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
An actual social life so he wouldn't feel the urge to write fan fiction stories? That being said whatever you write is almost certainly better than the scripts and plots that Lucas crapped out for the prequels. "It was a dark and stormy night" reads like Shakespeare compared to what Lucas produces.

Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney, so while he definitely wrote some horrible dialogue like this:

It was Rian Johnson who wrote and directed this mess:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
He should be developing the theory that force sensitivity is not magic at all and really just dependent on the presence and significant concentration of unique, uh "magic" prokaryotes in an individuals blood, and design an instrument to measure them.

If he is seriously disinterested in the force--thinks it's hokum, maybe--then he should be working to prove that it's just simple biology, and initiate the technology that will eventually generate force-sensitive transgenic creatures.

I this this is the best idea in the thread. A good-natured scientist who actually discovers a Force "gene" and synthesizes it, so that you can simply inject it into anyone and they will have the Force. That opens up a ton of possibilities.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I this this is the best idea in the thread. A good-natured scientist who actually discovers a Force "gene" and synthesizes it, so that you can simply inject it into anyone and they will have the Force. That opens up a ton of possibilities.
I think Zin is mocking George Lucas' stupid "midichlorians" thing -- which is still canon, if I understand correctly. :(

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Using technology to harness The Force has been a favorite idea I've had for years.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The self-centering screw and driver (aka "Phillips head").

Star Wars is supposed to be "a long time ago" (in a galaxy far away).

Reactions: snoopy7548

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Have the scientist work on galaxy wide intellectual property laws. He/she could be a patent troll.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
I'm writing my own SciFi Fan Fiction (not based on Star Wars Universe) on the adventures of the cargo ship SS Small Forest.