What costs more? Your cell phone bill or healthcare?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which costs you more?

• Cell phone bill

• Health care coverage

• Both are about the same

Results are only viewable after voting.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
True, they will just be levied a fine and when they get really sick and can't pay their medical bills, they will go bankrupt. Double whammy, no mustard. Looking good so far.......;)

Pft. They will continue to use the ER for free so those of us who aren't irresponsible continue to pay higher premiums. That's clearly the solution. .. Looking the same as before..... ;) Selfish... irresponsible... no sympathy

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
If I lose my employer sponsored healthcare coverage, my rate will increase by $503 per month and my annual deductible will increase from $2000 to over $6000. How many people who are just barely scraping by will be able to afford such a rate increase without going bankrupt, having a car repossessed, or worse, losing a home? You do that to several million Americans and the economy is gone. That's just math.

You simply go without care until it gets so serious that you visit the ER and maybe die soon after. If you do manage to survive, then you try not to go bankrupt and try to hold on to as much as possible in the process.

Healthcare costs in America are a complete joke and an embarrassment for a country that considers itself to be 'advanced.' The ACA does not even begin to address it. Combine ridiculous health premiums with declining wages, increasing education costs, more debt, under/unemployment and you get a long slow decline.

Last edited:

cuafpr

Nov 5, 2009
118 a month for cell (after 20% discount), 120 +/- for my portion of health care from my company never seen what they pay, nor do i think them or any company would pay me more if they dropped coverage....

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Obama can make your healthcare costs any amount. He can reduce out of pocket expenses to very little. But at the end of the day this will cost someone a lot more that it costs to have a cell phone.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Then you are a fool, considering that cost is taken directly out of your compensation(pay). You were also intentionally dishonest by comparing a tiny portion of the cost of yours to full cost on the exchanges. Ignorant people like you are partially why healthcare costs are so high. You don't even KNOW how much it costs YOU!

average cost to employers is somewhere in the 6-8K a year range for single, for fams its pushing 15k. so yes i know roughly what it costs, i still dont care.

the OPs question did not ask to that level of detail, because everyones health care (assuming they have it) is goikng to cost more than a cell phone if you count the employer part

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Through my employer, I pay $40/month. Cell phone bill is $85/month. Not sure what it would cost if I used the exchanges.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Free health care, and 8 euro a month for cell phone.

Insurance is cheaper, but not because obama did anything for me.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
cell phone 90/month = 1080/year
healthcare 512/month = 6144 year... then starting jan 1 it will be over 630/month.

this doesn't factor in out of pocket due to deductible...

so yeah, cell phone costs "almost" as much. thanks obamacare

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Watching this video of Obama claiming that Obamacare is going to cost you less than the cost of your cell phone bill, I started wondering how realistic he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lT4VzH5xY8

In the video he claims, "Knowing you can offer your family the security of health care - that's priceless. And now you can do it for less than your cell phone bill. That's what change looks like."

Of course you chose to ignore the part about "6 in 10 uninsured". Carry on.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Watching this video of Obama claiming that Obamacare is going to cost you less than the cost of your cell phone bill, I started wondering how realistic he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lT4VzH5xY8

In the video he claims, "Knowing you can offer your family the security of health care - that's priceless. And now you can do it for less than your cell phone bill. That's what change looks like."

Also, he didn't say Obamacare WILL cost less than a cell phone plan. He said it CAN cost less. Big difference that you chose to ignore.