What costs more? Your cell phone bill or healthcare?

Which costs you more?

• Cell phone bill

• Health care coverage

• Both are about the same

Results are only viewable after voting.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Watching this video of Obama claiming that Obamacare is going to cost you less than the cost of your cell phone bill, I started wondering how realistic he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lT4VzH5xY8

In the video he claims, "Knowing you can offer your family the security of health care - that's priceless. And now you can do it for less than your cell phone bill. That's what change looks like."

Last edited by a moderator:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
cellphone bill is ~$80 a month

healthcare is $94 a month ~$47 every 2 weeks (through work)
cheapest plan using the exchange is 300$ a month for the worst coverage

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

Is that how much you have to pay out of pocket?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Is that how much you have to pay out of pocket?

yep, i actually thinks its ~$53 every 2 weeks but we git a discount if we fill out the yearly health survey.

we have a cheaper plan (less per month) but higher deductible + Health savings accnt stuff

both include dental

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
yep, i actually thinks its ~$53 every 2 weeks but we git a discount if we fill out the yearly health survey.

we have a cheaper plan (less per month) but higher deductible + Health savings accnt stuff

both include dental

So that isn't how much you actually pay as your employer is paying for the rest

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
i have no idea what my employer pays and i don't care

it costs me 100$ a month

It costs you a lot more, your insurance is part of your compensation. This is part of the problem, many not even knowing the actual cost of the health insurance that they are getting.

Edit: also why we need to get rid of employer based health insurance, and it's hidden costs.

Last edited:

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
My work pays for my cellphone, and I pay $80 a month for health and dental for me and my kids. So...yeah.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
those who count only premium are wrong. divide your medical bills from this yr with 10 and add to premium

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
It costs you a lot more, your insurance is part of your compensation. This is part of the problem, many not even knowing the actual cost of the health insurance that they are getting.

Edit: also why we need to get rid of employer based health insurance, and it's hidden costs.

Exactly.

If your healthcare is actually $500/mo and your employer pays for $400 of it, consider that you could just simply be taking home an extra $400/mo. It does not make a difference to the employer since it's an expense either way.

In fact, not having to deal with administration overhead of managing of a group healthcare plan would save them money. A large employer would have websites, databases, and personnel dealing with contracts etc. just to support their employees healthcare enrollments.

Not that I would trust the employer would 'give' you the $400 if they could peacefully stop providing healthcare.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Cell phone by bit... Combined health, dental, optical, life < $250 a month. Family talk unlimited with data plans on each phone and smart limits/insurance/taxes with 4 iphones and 1 galaxy s4 active > $250 a month with att.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Cell ends up being somewhere around $8.33/month. (Tracfone.) Still more than I'd like to pay though.

Healthcare: My direct cost is about $8.64/month. (The company's of course paying a hell of a lot more than that - a few thousand a year.)

Yup, healthcare is more expensive.
I'd need one hell of an impressive cellphone to bump its cost past the total health insurance cost.

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

How much does your employer pay? This amount is then added to how much you pay to get to your total cost.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
i have no idea what my employer pays and i don't care

it costs me 100$ a month

Then you are a fool, considering that cost is taken directly out of your compensation(pay). You were also intentionally dishonest by comparing a tiny portion of the cost of yours to full cost on the exchanges. Ignorant people like you are partially why healthcare costs are so high. You don't even KNOW how much it costs YOU!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I lose my employer sponsored healthcare coverage, my rate will increase by $503 per month and my annual deductible will increase from $2000 to over $6000. How many people who are just barely scraping by will be able to afford such a rate increase without going bankrupt, having a car repossessed, or worse, losing a home? You do that to several million Americans and the economy is gone. That's just math.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
If I lose my employer sponsored healthcare coverage, my rate will increase by $503 per month and my annual deductible will increase from $2000 to over $6000. How many people who are just barely scraping by will be able to afford such a rate increase without going bankrupt, having a car repossessed, or worse, losing a home? You do that to several million Americans and the economy is gone. That's just math.

your post makes no sense. people wont go bankrupt. they just wont get health insurance.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
32 years old and my health care costs are around $700/mo. - that's the awesome cost-saving power of group plans!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
your post makes no sense. people wont go bankrupt. they just wont get health insurance.

True, they will just be levied a fine and when they get really sick and can't pay their medical bills, they will go bankrupt. Double whammy, no mustard. Looking good so far.......;)