What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 96 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
I am looking to sell

Selling and trading is only allowed in our FS/T forum

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
I do not know what's up there, I've already had 5-6 months since I have another processor and I do not care.
I made available those links for the new ones to benefit from them
search the site and see what's in there
The chrome translation is more like bad for Chinese.
The answer, v4 Xeons doesn't work, will enough...

Thanks for the answer and @ all guys for the work.

Domrockt

Oct 26, 2017
For asus board whitout microcode
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1kVFrs15#list/path=/ASUS X99 remove MC
For asus board whitout microcode with -70mv
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1ge4tWP1#list/path=/ASUS X99 lock-70mv
For asus board whitout microcode with -50mv
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1boHZNbx#list/path=/ASUS X99 lock-50mv

if you were looking for asus boards, you could find them too, they are posted long ago
You need to put a description of what each link says, or a summation.
Markfw
AT Moderator

So does this mean i just have to flash the wanted bios and thats basicly IT?

edit* the X99-a bios does not work at all the flash tool states that ist not a proper Bios *edit

I bought an 2696 v3 and resieve it next week so i just wanted to mess with my 5820k do get a grip on this subjekt.

thx in advance

*edit* in UBU tool it states that the "Microcode #1 and #5 is packed or badly extracted, please report it!" *edit* ( I think that should be so, since it has no MC injected?)

*edit* if i mod my own Bios with the 23MC it states the same and in Bios it moans the "not a proper Bios prob" .. i think i have a brainfart atm :D *edit*
*Edit* nevermind found Post 211, Derp brainfarted. *edit*

Last edited:

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
So by my observation without microcode cpu is just priotizing cpu ratio over cache ratio (and with microcode just the opposite) if running at EDP limit.

Almost all efi driver in this topic locks cache ratio to maximum available multiplier. If you use your computer without mcode you will still get higher cache ratio all time with those efi drivers.
By my observation cache/SA undervolting and cache multiplier locking doesn't change anything at a significant amount.

Did anyone tried to use fixed core voltage instead of core voltage offset, and if so how are the results ?

I tried but fixed core voltage didn't work on my cpu. (Also Dufus mentioned this issue on first source code)
While it appears fixed voltage should be supported for HSW Xeons only offset mode appears to work for my 2683.

If you set fixed core voltage, voltage still goes high or low depends of loads. So gives same result as offset mode.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
You must disable C6 in BIOS. I recommend you also enable C3.
FCG

I'm currently using your v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi on my Asus Z10PE-D8 WS with two 2660 V3 ES. Currently on 3407 bios (the new bios aren't really that beneficial. Spectre fix just slows down NVMe). Power State set to C0/C1 and C3 Reporting enabled while C6 disabled with QPI Link L0p disabled.

It's able to get all cores turbo to x32 multiplier, but the processor's max is x33. What else should I do to get x33 multiplier working?

Also, is there anyway to inject this into the bios so that I don't need to have the efi driver in a usb thumb drive every time I boot?

RXgwlZU.png

Last edited:

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
Also, is there anyway to inject this into the bios so that I don't need to have the efi driver in a usb thumb drive every time I boot?
You dont need to inject efi driver to bios for this, use "bcfg driver" method. (Also you cant inject kjboughton's drivers to bios, only assembly drivers can be inject)

If we are happy with the driver and want to keep it we can get it to automatically load by placing it on the EFI system drive.In this instance I have copied V3.EFI from the USB flash drive 'FS0:' to the EFI system boot folder on 'FS1:' 'cp fs0:\V3.EFI fs1:\EFI\Boot'. Now using the shell boot configuration command we can add it to be executed before any OS with shell command 'bcfg driver add 0 fs1:\EFI\V3.EFI "V3 Full Turbo"'. After that type 'reset' to restart the PC as the EFI driver has not executed as yet.

Reactions: foureight84

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
I'm currently using your v3x4-0.10b-i306f2-rc9.efi on my Asus Z10PE-D8 WS with two 2660 V3 ES. Currently on 3407 bios (the new bios aren't really that beneficial. Spectre fix just slows down NVMe). Power State set to C0/C1 and C3 Reporting enabled while C6 disabled with QPI Link L0p disabled.

It's able to get all cores turbo to x32 multiplier, but the processor's max is x33. What else should I do to get x33 multiplier working?

RXgwlZU.png

Quite strange. Running cinebench it will max at x32 multiplier but when I am doing other things like playing games, it will max at x33.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
You dont need to inject efi driver to bios for this, use "bcfg driver" method. (Also you cant inject kjboughton's drivers to bios, only assembly drivers can be inject)

I ended up testing your drivers and got good benchmarks with the 1.7v v3x2_70-50-50_vcc.efi and v3x2_80-50-50_vcc1.8.efi. But I did notice that when the drivers load on boot, it says Error: VCCIN. Is that expected or there was an error setting the VCC? I'm on an Asus Z10pe-D8 WS with dual 2660 V3 QS.

EDIT: This seems to happen on a reboot only. If it's a cold boot then vccin doesn't error.

xhexsRx.jpg

Btw, I am also using the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 card and windows software raid 0 those 4 samsung drives. If anyone interested in getting this bios let me know. It's been modded to add BiFurcation selection w/ x4x4x4x4 to slot 5 of the PCI-E.

Last edited:

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
I ended up testing your drivers and got good benchmarks with the 1.7v v3x2_70-50-50_vcc.efi and v3x2_80-50-50_vcc1.8.efi. But I did notice that when the drivers load on boot, it says Error: VCCIN. Is that expected or there was an error setting the VCC? I'm on an Asus Z10pe-D8 WS with dual 2660 V3 QS.

xhexsRx.jpg

Btw, I am also using the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 card and windows software raid 0 those 4 samsung drives. If anyone interested in getting this bios let me know. It's been modded to add BiFurcation selection w/ x4x4x4x4 to slot 5 of the PCI-E.

I want really the bios mod for the ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS with x4x4x4x4 PCI Bifurcation (but without raid!) to Slot 3.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
I want really the bios mod for the ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS with x4x4x4x4 PCI Bifurcation (but without raid!) to Slot 3.

You can't do slot 3 unfortunately. I've tested these and there are only two slots that can do x4x4x4x4 bifurcation and that's Slot 5 and Slot 7 on the Z10PE-D8 WS. 5 and 7 are dedicated x16 slot. Slot 1 is x16 but becomes x8 if slot 2 is filled. slot 3 is x16 but also becomes x8 if slot 4 is filled. That option isn't available when trying to mod the bios.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
Thats ok, vcc cant locks after hot resets because it is allready locked on first cold start.

Awesome. Thanks for confirming and thanks for making these drivers. I found that the 1.7v 80-50-50 is stable with the 2660 v3. I haven't tried 90 yet but from what i've read on this thread so far, there won't be much of a difference and probably unstable.

dflSLIY.png

3033 is from freecableguy's base driver. 3100 is freecableguy's 1.9v 70-50-50 (80 causes weird issues with video card). and 3142 is mof's 1.7v 80-50-50. Interestingly, another score got overwritten but it was 3140, and that was the base driver with blck changed to 101.2.

Reactions: MOF

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
You can't do slot 3 unfortunately. I've tested these and there are only two slots that can do x4x4x4x4 bifurcation and that's Slot 5 and Slot 7 on the Z10PE-D8 WS. 5 and 7 are dedicated x16 slot. Slot 1 is x16 but becomes x8 if slot 2 is filled. slot 3 is x16 but also becomes x8 if slot 4 is filled. That option isn't available when trying to mod the bios.
Maybe it's possible, that you able to give me links and explain how to mod my bios for Asus Z10PE-D16 WS? I am using Slot 4!

4 PCI Express x16 slot (x16 link)
The on board PCIE 2 and 4 provide one x16 Gen3 link to CPU1, PCIE 5 and 6 provide
one x16 Gen3 link to CPU2. These slots support VGA cards and various server class high
performance add-on cards.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe it's possible, that you able to give me links and explain how to mod my bios for Asus Z10PE-D16 WS? I am using Slot 4!

4 PCI Express x16 slot (x16 link)
The on board PCIE 2 and 4 provide one x16 Gen3 link to CPU1, PCIE 5 and 6 provide
one x16 Gen3 link to CPU2. These slots support VGA cards and various server class high
performance add-on cards.

I made a post about this on reddit. I explained my steps and also the tools you need. https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7vo43p/will_intel_add_vroc_support_for_older_cpus/e1b0e79

It will be different for you since you're on the Z10PE-D16 WS but the methodology is the same. By the way, this is not a bios hack. It's more like an on the fly settings change. So it has the same effect has toggling options on and off. CMOS reset or restore default will reset everything back to default state.

The bios I mentioned was obtained from Asus. Apparently my 3501 bios for the Z10PE-D8 WS was dated back in april 2018, meaning that they are testing it internally and I happened to have asked for that feature. You should try asking them as well. Their bios is officially signed and has new menu options to toggle bifurcation so you don't have to use my method to make the settings change.

Last edited:

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
I made a post about this on reddit. I explained my steps and also the tools you need. https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7vo43p/will_intel_add_vroc_support_for_older_cpus/e1b0e79

It will be different for you since you're on the Z10PE-D16 WS but the methodology is the same. By the way, this is not a bios hack. It's more like an on the fly settings change. So it has the same effect has toggling options on and off. CMOS reset or restore default will reset everything back to default state.
It's doesn't work after testing to flash the option into the bios?
Maybe it's possible, that extract my bios an you modified it for me, that the slot 4 is working?

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe it's possible, that extract my bios an you modified it for me, that the slot 4 is working?

Maybe one of the bios gurus on this thread can help with that. I am a n00b when it comes to this. This bifurcation method doesn't require direct edit to the bios file, but rather on the fly changes in the efi shell.

Reactions: Bl@Ze

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017

Also, in case you didn't see my edit since you replied before I edited my post:

The bios I mentioned was obtained from Asus. Apparently my 3501 bios for the Z10PE-D8 WS was dated back in april 2018, meaning that they are testing it internally and I happened to have asked for that feature. You should try asking them as well. Their bios is officially signed and has new menu options to toggle bifurcation so you don't have to use my method to make the settings change.

But from my testing and others testing with the same motherboard, I was not able to find the address for the non-dedicated x16 slots with this method to change, even though I can see that x4x4x4x4 is visible in the AMIBCP tool. I have a feeling that it won't work even if you are able to find it. Since those slots are on shared lanes.

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
Also, in case you didn't see my edit since you replied before I edited my post:

But from my testing and others testing with the same motherboard, I was not able to find the address for the non-dedicated x16 slots with this method to change, even though I can see that x4x4x4x4 is visible in the AMIBCP tool. I have a feeling that it won't work even if you are able to find it. Since those slots are on shared lanes.
I asked ASUS 2 times, but they won't made a new bios to activate the PCIE Bifurcation Function

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
I asked ASUS 2 times, but they won't made a new bios to activate the PCIE Bifurcation Function

Damn that sucks. Give my method a try. Take your time and play around with it. Once you get it working then it's not an issue the next time around. You just need to find the right address to toggle the value.

Reactions: Bl@Ze

wiseguyuk

Sep 16, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have a system with 2 x 2696v3 on Asus Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard. The system was running without any issues for a few months. Now I have had this blue screen a few times. Any idea why ?

BRivU2.jpg

Last edited: