What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Hi,

I finally found the guide the user VERCETY wrote: Thanks for that!

Removing the microcode with UBU does not work somehow - it seems as there is not microcode available already?!
What I did now is, that I loaded the .most recent BIOS .CAP into the MMTool and replaced the microcode with 27, like this:

So am I right that I actually now take this modded BIOS .CAP and flash it via Asus USB Flash?

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks
Andy

PS: Why do we add a microcode when the performance seems to be best without any microcode?! Can somebody explain, please?

PPS: If I manage to convert my MBR Win 10 installation to a GPT Installation - Could I then drop the step of reinstalling WIN 10 in UEFI Mode natively? ...that would mean to spend a lot of time installing Software afterwards :-((

Last edited:

knowndragon

Apr 3, 2017
Hi,

I finally found the guide the user VERCETY wrote: Thanks for that!

Removing the microcode with UBU does not work somehow - it seems as there is not microcode available already?!
What I did now is, that I loaded the .most recent BIOS .CAP into the MMTool and replaced the microcode with 27, like this:

So am I right that I actually now take this modded BIOS .CAP and flash it via Asus USB Flash?

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks
Andy

PS: Why do we add a microcode when the performance seems to be best without any microcode?! Can somebody explain, please?

PPS: If I manage to convert my MBR Win 10 installation to a GPT Installation - Could I then drop the step of reinstalling WIN 10 in UEFI Mode natively? ...that would mean to spend a lot of time installing Software afterwards :-((

I don't know. I left my microcode out completely. Now the one thing I did notice is that when I did this is that my normal baseclck overclocks didn't work as well. I know someone around page 2 or 3 actually tried several mcodes. Now I know that there are several mcodes included in the mcode. It isn't just for Xeon's. A lot of the time the first half of the mcode is for your K and extreme sku's. While the second half of the code belongs to the actual Xeon family. So there might be a performance difference when a mcode is used. I will test this out later.

knowndragon

Apr 3, 2017
I followed @Dufus guide on the shell efi and managed to get all cores to turbo boost. I leave my speed step and everything on. The cool part about it is that when this is done that way. The computer will actually idle down then when put under load my Xeon will full turbo on all cores. Also the pop up during boot looks awesome. Does the argument actually have to be V3 Turbo All?

I will see about download some of the Xeon mcode and trying them out on a X99Sli giga just to see the difference.

RamRock

Apr 3, 2017
Tnx :) Actually @knowndragon help a lot. No error here. Windows didn't load up... It was C6 fault. I get around 8% boost (multicore)/ Did you try set up more agressive clocks?

GTZ

Jan 25, 2017
Just wanted to give my observation on the mod. Even though the HCC high clocked (3300mhz +) Xeons benefit from a 100 to 200mhz all core boost running no microcode, cache performance suffers. Making that 200mhz boost useless. For instance both my pre qs 2695 and QS 2696 cache with no microcode ran at 2300 as apposed to 3000mhz when all cores loaded.

Eltama

Mar 29, 2017
Hi,
Does someone have a modded bios for asus z10pa-d8?
I'm worried about flashing a deleted microcode by myself :frowning:.

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
so did i get it right, that the mcode contains different mcodes for different CPUs?

the mcode for the haswell (06f2) and haswell ES (06f1) we delete before flashing the BIOS.

then we load the mcode (e.g. 27 or 39) via v3.efi ?

why don't we implement those mcodes to the bios file before we flash? this is what i do not understand...

RamRock

Apr 3, 2017
Hi,
Does someone have a modded bios for asus z10pa-d8?
I'm worried about flashing a deleted microcode by myself :frowning:.
Someone few post ago done that. It's hard. You don't have flashback :(
(Z10PA all are "same" as the method)

Just wanted to give my observation on the mod. Even though the HCC high clocked (3300mhz +) Xeons benefit from a 100 to 200mhz all core boost running no microcode, cache performance suffers. Making that 200mhz boost useless. For instance both my pre qs 2695 and QS 2696 cache with no microcode ran at 2300 as apposed to 3000mhz when all cores loaded.

My xeon boost almost same. But it's huge difference in power consumption in IDLE and at the middle states. On uC39 CP I got lower power consumption at stress on ~2,1GHz with more performance-> I made in tweaked power saving mode.
So powersaving mode stressed -> 356W (39 CP) compare to 400W (with 980 stressed too) (stock bios).
Full stressed in high perfomance mode gave me 550W on 39 CP vs 486W stock bios.

At stress CPU core demand (not bandwidth, memory subsystem) like lovely Cinebench the metter core power -> so best one is efi with no uC...
But at the gaming, data base, I can see increase performance with CUP uC and almost no penalty with microcode version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltama

knowndragon

Apr 3, 2017
Tnx :) Actually @knowndragon help a lot. No error here. Windows didn't load up... It was C6 fault. I get around 8% boost (multicore)/ Did you try set up more agressive clocks?
Yes I did set up a small baseclock. I haven't ran into any snags with it yet. The only difference I can really see is the full turbo at the moment. I am looking into mcode deep web to see if there are any other mods that can be done.
@knowndragon Any chance you could upload your modified bios for me to try please?
What Motherboard do you have? Also do you have v3 xeon?

Mr.Qaz

Mar 30, 2017
I've got a Gigabyte x99 sli and a v3 xeon (e5-2686 v3 ES with the cpuid CPUID Revision 000306F2h).

knowndragon

Apr 3, 2017
I've got a Gigabyte x99 sli and a v3 xeon (e5-2686 v3 ES with the cpuid CPUID Revision 000306F2h).
Sign up for the free account by going to sendspace. The file I uploaded has no mcode. This is the latest bios due to the fact of early bios kept restarting. It works well and I really don't care for the GUI but maybe when I get some extra time I will look into it. Flash in bios just do a normal flash.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s0n10f

With that being said you will have to follow @Dufus on page 3 for the efi in order to make the full turbo work. Realize though when you follow it. Your drive or drives may be set up different. When copying the file over you will get an error can't copy file. It won't until you find your boot drive. Now to load it I actually had to save it to the efi\boot and efi folder in the process. It works just follow it. Look at the spoilers.

Reactions: Mr.Qaz

knowndragon

Apr 3, 2017
Hey I just wanted to know how you came up with this data? What test is what I am asking? Also after removing the Mcode did you do the shell.efi driver load? Or did you just remove the Mcode.

I know for a fact removing Mcode with windows 10 causes the OS to load on the fly a mcode. Which results in actual turbo cycling power down of cores. I.E. core 0 full turbo, core 1 100 MHz under full turbo and so on.

RamRock

Apr 3, 2017
@knowndragon
Can you explain how V3_2 mod work? Because more I read less I understood... it set max turbo for all cores as max turbo for single core (limit is power consumption) or it set clocks just for some cores (that are set up in v3x2c).

Last edited:

freak77power

Apr 5, 2017
I am a noob. I have Xeon 2683-V3 14/28 CPU running on ASRock Extreme 4 x99. What do i have to do to force this CPU running at 3.0Ghz on all cores (That is max multiplier). Can someone post files for me and simple instruction? Big thanks!

Thanks.

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Hi,

ok - I think I am only one small step away:

1) Finally managed to modify my Asus BIOS file with UBU (Visually verified the .CAP with MMTool afterwards)
2) I installed Win10 in UEFI Mode on a separate HDD (now, EFI-100MB Partition exists )
3) Managed to create the UEFI USB stick with the shell, deactivated the Secure Boot Mode in BIOS and managed to a) load the V3.EFI driver and booting the new EFI Win10 from the shell... (will install the V3.EFI once I know this version is fine for me - may try V3_1 and so on as well).

So far so good (for a noob like me).

Last thing to do is now to flash the new bios file to my Asus Mobo via "Asus USB Flash" and repeat 3) ,correct?
Do I need to change anything in the BIOS regarding multi, Voltage etc once I am done???

One question here: How does my old MBR Standard Win 10 Installation react on the changed BIOS? I need this installation for work and would like to setup the new WIN 10 (including this hack) separatly while keep my older Win 10 installation working. What do you think?

Thanks
Andy

Ionstream

Nov 19, 2016
@Dufus @Welsper

Made some progress.
I was able to get my setup to POST with the modified BIOS, and your EFI scripts. Both are free from error messages at the time of installation. The last time I tried, the system wouldn't even POST. I addressed this by only deleting the Haswell mCodes.

However, I'm unable to get past the Windows loading screen, or the automatic repair screen, as the system hangs there. Not sure what's the deal here with Windows, but it sure doesn't like dodgy BIOSes. Any idea what's going on? Not sure if this is an OS problem, or the BIOS.

The BIOS was edited with MMTool. OS is Win10 Pro. Setup involves a SM X10DRL-i board with 2x 2686v3s.

Update: Issue ceases to exist on flashing back stock BIOS.

Last edited:

RamRock

Apr 3, 2017
@Ionstream
Did you turn off all C-states in bios ?

Hi,

ok - I think I am only one small step away:

1) Finally managed to modify my Asus BIOS file with UBU (Visually verified the .CAP with MMTool afterwards)
2) I installed Win10 in UEFI Mode on a separate HDD (now, EFI-100MB Partition exists )
3) Managed to create the UEFI USB stick with the shell, deactivated the Secure Boot Mode in BIOS and managed to a) load the V3.EFI driver and booting the new EFI Win10 from the shell... (will install the V3.EFI once I know this version is fine for me - may try V3_1 and so on as well).

So far so good (for a noob like me).

Last thing to do is now to flash the new bios file to my Asus Mobo via "Asus USB Flash" and repeat 3) ,correct?
Do I need to change anything in the BIOS regarding multi, Voltage etc once I am done???

One question here: How does my old MBR Standard Win 10 Installation react on the changed BIOS? I need this installation for work and would like to setup the new WIN 10 (including this hack) separatly while keep my older Win 10 installation working. What do you think?

Thanks
Andy
Best way is to use Asus flash back.
No you don't have to change anything except to start with UEFI, turn off C States.
Maybe less stable- but it's normal while you doing stuff like this :)

Last edited: