What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Murilo900

Feb 7, 2017
Anyone has figured out how to remove the microcodes from bioses who don't work with UBU (Error in Replacing File)? I tried with MMTool too without sucess, doesn't let me save the modded bios, it is a X99 SOC Champion one.

katlen

Jan 27, 2017
Someone with an 2686v3 could confirm if the experience this issues?
So it goes like this , i got an x99 TAICHI (bios 1.4 + v3.efi) and some problems persists:
- I have only 1/2 successful boots to windows, half of the time it freezes
- Sometimes CPU overheats and goes to 90degrees celsius (normally on full load it does not exceed 55*C) and have to wait 1-2min to turn on PC again (its very rare it happends once 2weeks)
- Mosfet area extremely hot when using V3.efi (80*C or more / some speedfan reports on some AUXTIN1/2/3 over 100*C ,i put a cooler over the mosfets and seems to be cooler now , AUXTIN is not related to mosfet)
- When it wakes up from sleep the PC freezes (i did not disable any power-state from bios, i remember reading some C State needs to go off , this might be it , alternatively i disabled Sleep/Turn off monitor in windows)

Tried:
Microcode 27,39 and latest microcode from windows (mcgenuine_intel.dll)

Event viewer does not report anything on crash, just sudden system stop.
I had this problems from the beginning of doing this, any ideas what can cause this?

Reactions: xeon_fan

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011

- When it wakes up from sleep the PC freezes (i did not disable any power-state from bios, i remember reading some C State needs to go off , this might be it , alternatively i disabled Sleep/Turn off monitor in windows)

I only get such problems if I boot without the injected v3.efi from Dufus. I think windows might be confused with how to use the cpu and crashes. But once efi is loaded the system runs 100% stable.

Entering UEFI and saving sometimes deletes the booting entry of the v3.efi for some reason. I than have to re-enter it. Try to put it in load order again, it might help.

Alternatively check if you increased your BCLK above standard. PCIe, m.2 and Xeons are very sensitive about this matter and there is nothing you can do about except lowering your BCLK back to 100MHz.
I run stable on my Taichi with 102, but once I put 102.5 I randomly crash, get bluescreens and similar problems you described.

- Sometimes CPU overheats and goes to 90degrees celsius (normally on full load it does not exceed 55*C) and have to wait 1-2min to turn on PC again (its very rare it happends once 2weeks)
- Mosfet area extremely hot when using V3.efi (80*C or more / some speedfan reports on some AUXTIN1/2/3 over 100*C ,i put a cooler over the mosfets and seems to be cooler now , AUXTIN is not related to mosfet)

Never experienced such. My CPU keeps super cool at all times. AUXTIN is a shortage for probably something like "auxiliar temperature input", which means self-connected temperature sensors. As long as you dont have anything connected to there, it cant show you real temperatures. I would say, ignore it as long as you didnt connected anything as it isnt real.
My mosfets are super cool.

ajschot

Feb 16, 2017
So it goes like this , i got an x99 TAICHI (bios 1.4 + v3.efi) and some problems persists:

Tried:
Microcode 27,39 and latest microcode from windows (mcgenuine_intel.dll)

Event viewer does not report anything on crash, just sudden system stop.
I had this problems from the beginning of doing this, any ideas what can cause this?
Mine is running very fine on Windows 10 also never loaded microcode with the VMware tool just did the bios mod and loading V3_1.EFI (don't know what is the difference between the normal an the 1 version) but it worked in Windows 10 and is very stable, only having problems with OS X but I think it is an OS X thing so I have to find out what is going wrong, it is always running @ 2GHz then it is stable but if it runs from 1,2 - 3Ghz it freezes after 4minutes

Otherthing, where to find microcode? 0x038

Last edited:

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011
Xeon 2686v3 3.6Ghz all 18 core Battlefield 1 bottleneck test and CPU tests:

Hey @lucien_br
how you managed to get such constant Turbos and high clocks? How your cpu clocks in BF1 is awesome! Also at minute 6:08 your clockrate is awesome. Can you explain please what you did differently ?
Im especially interested in the microcode you use.
Please, share ! :D

As here are so many Taichi users, did someone of you successfully installed nvme raid0 ? I injected myself an updated IRST driver and flashed, but still cant get a nvme raid0 to setup. Any advice ? In the win-raid forum I didnt found any who has a Taichi board, too.

What C-states you guys have activated on Taichi board ?

Last edited:

knopflerbruce

Mar 5, 2017
I found this thread after watching that youtube video. Got the newqest BIOS for my ASROck X99 OC FOrmula, and tried to run the UBU batch file - but it only gives me GSMCORE not present. Can't see anyone else having the same issue with ASRock bioses?

Edit: used an old verson og UBU, which caused this... :)

Last edited:

Welsper

Mar 5, 2017
I've used that method on PC with two CPU: BIOS modificaton + V3.EFI + win + microcode_27
Config: ASRock EP2C612 WS + 2xE5-2686v3.
And have got an interesting result: the first CPU is unlocked and the second one is not.
(That "asymmetrical" system works stable after C3/C6 states were disabled in BIOS.)

As I understand that's happened because V3.EFI has updated MSR registers only on the first CPU - where it was executed.
But how can I run necessary MSR update on both CPU ?

mtnew10gm8

Mar 6, 2017
I've used that method on PC with two CPU: BIOS modificaton + V3.EFI + win + microcode_27
Config: ASRock EP2C612 WS + 2xE5-2686v3.
And have got an interesting result: the first CPU is unlocked and the second one is not.
(That "asymmetrical" system works stable after C3/C6 states were disabled in BIOS.)

As I understand that's happened because V3.EFI has updated MSR registers only on the first CPU - where it was executed.
But how can I run necessary MSR update on both CPU ?

Do you mind to share your BIOS for EP2C612 WS? Thank you in advance.

knopflerbruce

Mar 5, 2017
I got that one as well, and also a Z10PA-D8. Sadly, wth v4 ES chips as of right now. Are QFSB chips suitable for testing? Old V3 ES with rubbish turbo.

Welsper

Mar 5, 2017
Do you mind to share your BIOS for EP2C612 WS? Thank you in advance.

Patched: https://ufile.io/b0092
Original: https://ufile.io/522e31

This is "Firmware v2.13B" for ASRockRack EP2C612 WS.
(It isn't avaible from ASRockRack site yet. I've got that one from ASRock support service. Difference from 2.1 - ClusterOnDie supporting)

PS: "Unlocking" works on v2.1 too. I can share if anyone needs it. But I use 2.13B.
PPS: On my motherboard internal InstantFlash tool isn't work. It broke down after the first flashing v1.4 to v2.1 half year ago. So I flashed them by CH341A device.

Reactions: fromax

mtnew10gm8

Mar 6, 2017
Patched: https://ufile.io/b0092
Original: https://ufile.io/522e31

This is "Firmware v2.13B" for ASRockRack EP2C612 WS.
(It isn't avaible from ASRockRack site yet. I've got that one from ASRock support service. Difference from 2.1 - ClusterOnDie supporting)

PS: "Unlocking" works on v2.1 too. I can share if anyone needs it. But I use 2.13B.
PPS: On my motherboard internal InstantFlash tool isn't work. It broke down after the first flashing v1.4 to v2.1 half year ago. So I flashed them by CH341A device.

Thank you very much. Also planned to use CH341A and do the "training" on separately ordered serial flash chips.
Do you run Win7 x64? Where did you get the microcode 27?

TLN

Jan 27, 2017
I've tried to mod asus bios with ubutool, after I got "Error in Replacing File" issues.
On early BIOS versions it doesn't throw error, but as a result I'm getting exact same file - HxD says files are identical. Can anyone take a look at Z10PE-D16 WS Bios please?

mtnew10gm8

Mar 6, 2017
No I'm on Win10x64. Microcode and "howto" I've taken here. Just look at post #39.

I got the same result as you: CPU0 is x30, but CPU1 is x25.

Dufus: Thank you for the great utility.
Please update V3.efi to V3x2.efi ;)

Also, please provide a way to accept electronic "donations".

Last edited:
Reactions: sciff

cekim

Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for all the hard work in this thread. Looks promising.

ASROCK X99E 4 + 2696v3 is fighting me all the way... BIOS (even unmodified) refused to flash from USB - had to use internet flash to get to a newer base bios. Spent a while getting a corrupt screen ("Use the" was all that appeared even with a UEFI linux boot image that has worked on other machines) before I changed a thing... That's out of the way now and I see uCode version 0.

Now the issue(s) are:
1. Cannot launch EFI shell. I've put shellx64.efi in EFI/BOOT as well as in the root (as the bios says) of the USB and it still says "not found" despite providing it as an option in the boot selection. Setting the USB/EFI partition as the only boot option doesn't work either. So, no EFI shell so far. Fat32 thumb drive (2 of them actually, one is sandisk 32G the other an older 4G transcend).

2. If I boot into linux (with uCode 0 now), it will lock up randomly and it doesn't take long, so I can't do much before a hard freeze.

3. Also not entirely sure what the easiest way to update the uCode in linux would be. As usual, there are 4-100 different ways that change with each generation of the kernel, so you get a lot of wrong answers. I've been blissfully ignorant of uCode loading until now...

Vercety's package helped a lot, thank you.

I guess I have to install windows to test this, though I can't get past the V3.EFI phase until the bios will cooperate and launch the EFI shell.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Welsper

Mar 5, 2017
I've put shellx64.efi in EFI/BOOT as well as in the root
Did you rename file in EFI/BOOT into BOOTx64.efi ?

Files on my flash drive (GPT table), that works:

│ autorun.inf
│ Shellx64.efi
│ V3.EFI
└───EFI
....│ Shellx64.efi
....└───BOOT
.........BOOTx64.efi

Shellx64.efi and BOOTx64.efi --- the same file with different names. .

cekim

Mar 6, 2017
Did you rename file in EFI/BOOT into BOOTx64.efi ?

Files on my flash drive (GPT table), that works:

│ autorun.inf
│ Shellx64.efi
│ V3.EFI
└───EFI
....│ Shellx64.efi
....└───BOOT
.........BOOTx64.efi

Shellx64.efi and BOOTx64.efi --- the same file with different names. .
ls -R
.:
EFI Shellx64.efi V3.EFI

./EFI:
BOOT Shellx64.efi

./EFI/BOOT:
BOOTx64.EFI

and
gdisk /dev/sdg
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
MBR: protective
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 2048 60061695 28.6 GiB 0700 Basic data partition

That's what windows did to it, I didn't select that partition type, but it shows up in file manager.

cekim

Mar 6, 2017
I've found some answers for the state-of-the art in ucode loading that I will have to try tomorrow:

Going to have to boot to bios B to do most of this - A (ucode zero'd) locks up quickly.
Makes single bios experimentation pretty fun. Eventually, I want to get to a dual socket Z10pe-d8-ws board once I understand what is going on with the Asrock system that I thought would be a bit more plug-and-chug than it has.

Re: ucode in linux for those catching up (me):
1. CentOS/RHEL (and others) have:
/lib/firmware/intel-ucode/

2. files in there are $family-$model-$stepping

3. intel-microcode2ucode binary (installed with micrcode_ctl package (yum install microcode_ctl) converts the .dat to this format and then you re-name to your family/model/stepping (obtained from grepping /proc/cpuinfo and converting to hex)

Taking the 0x27 ucode from this thread:

intel-microcode2ucode 0x27.dat
0x27.dat: 27648(27k) bytes, 6912 integers

intel-ucode/06-3f-02
signature: 0x306f2
flags: 0x6f
revision: 0x27
date: 2014-08-08
size: 27648

It writes out the file and name you need to put into /lib/firmware/intel-ucode.

As far as the EFI - I'm stumped as to why I can't create a fresh EFI thumb-drive, but I know the CentOS install live USB works, so I am going to DD that to another drive and then overwrite the EFI components with the desired shell. I guess I'll leave the explanation for another day...

Last edited:

cekim

Mar 6, 2017
Ok, got past all the EFI thumb drive stuff. Not entirely sure what I was doing wrong - maybe just usb drives not flushing completely? I did eject in all cases.

So, now the issue is that my results with the stripped bios are very hit and miss. 50/50 an attempt to launch the shell from the bios (launch shell) either works or powers down the machine. Power back on and I get a bios code 79 that requires a cmos clear.

Without changing anything, it will work the next time and I'll get all the way through the sequence to loading the CentOS from she EFI shell which might even get all the way to a graphical desktop before a random hard-lock. Reboot and its frequently bios post-code 79 again (and cmos clear to get rid of it).

Is there anything hard-coded in there that might need to be changed for the 2696? The max boost on this chip is 3.8, not 3.6, but I'd assume any assumptions about 2699 would just result in it never getting to 3.8 on single core operations...

None of that happens with the default bios when I switch back.