What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
Hello CanonKong, I have a question on your bios. So I have tried both -70,-50 bios and -50,-50 bios you shared but I see no difference in Vcore between them. The specific bios I am talking about is Asrock Extreme4 bios (not 3.1).
Shouldnt -50mv bios have higher Vcore than -70mv one? For some reason both bios have the same vcore at 0.904v. It seems to me that neither of -70mv nor -50mv bios vcore offset is actually working. Please let me know If I am misunderstanding something.
If possible, I would like to have lower vcore than 0.904v. It seems a bit higher than before with v3_50.efi(the old method with shell)

Thank you!!
I am trying to break the TDP.Someone had successed,I will reupload the new BIOS if I success.

Reactions: BradKay

BradKay

Jun 22, 2017
I am trying to break the TDP.Someone had successed,I will reupload the new BIOS if I success.

Thank you so much for your effort. I will look forward to it! I am not sure how that person breakthrough that tdp limit. where can I see his post about all core 38x multiplier? I am curious as well

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Someone found a way to make all cores at 3.8GHz,he said: "For reference - here's what happens when you enable 9+9 = 18 cores total on 2 generations back (HW) and run them all at 3.8GHz ."
I don't know how to do this.But he successsd,and CB R15 SCORE RUN 3200+
No, he or she ran only 9 cores of an 18 core CPU at 3.8GHz just that it was done on a dual socket board with each CPU running 9 cores only to give a total of 18 cores. Seems a bit of a waste to me but perhaps there's some method in the madness. Even without the mod one can run 3.8GHz if only 1 or 2 cores used AFAIK.

I feel there is potential for more but held back by Intel's restrictions. Without those perhaps a contender for TR even. Broadwell didn't go as well as I hoped it might, IMO a bit of a disappointment really.

How much vcore VID are you using at all core 3.4GHz with MC, what about AVX load and what board are you using?

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
No, he or she ran only 9 cores of an 18 core CPU at 3.8GHz just that it was done on a dual socket board with each CPU running 9 cores only to give a total of 18 cores. Seems a bit of a waste to me but perhaps there's some method in the madness. Even without the mod one can run 3.8GHz if only 1 or 2 cores used AFAIK.

I feel there is potential for more but held back by Intel's restrictions. Without those perhaps a contender for TR even. Broadwell didn't go as well as I hoped it might, IMO a bit of a disappointment really.

How much vcore VID are you using at all core 3.4GHz with MC, what about AVX load and what board are you using?
I use a mod bios with -65mv coreVoffset,AVX load will drop to 3.3GHz on the ASrock X99E-ITX/AC.

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Core voltage at 3.4GHz, perhaps measure half way through a Cinebench run or something.

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Hello,
I have a chance to buy a system with the Asrock X99 ITX AC, but it has only one bios.
If I turn to bios efi and when I write bios and can fail, is there any way to save the plaque and return to the original bios?
Can someone help me?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Only way to recovering mb bios to using usb eeprom reader/writer adapter on another working computer.
Like this;
https://www.ebay.com/p/CH-341-a-24-25-Series-EEPROM-Flash-Bios-USB-Programmer/1431400734
It is a guide for this? In have my computer with 2696 processor. This is for my brother, this mini PC. If i know how tot repair with EEPROM-FLASH BIOS, i do IT myself!
when doing this, do I need to unpack the chi from the motherboard? and put it in the same place, as I saw in a video?

Last edited:

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
if your motherboard turns to the brick during or after BIOS update

0- Turn off computer

1- Took out your bios rom from motherboard, (if its removable)
a- Pay attention to the direction of the chip before the remove!
b- Be careful the pins can be quite fragile.

2- Put that bios chip into usb programmer
(Same, pay attention to the direction of the chip. This can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you are unsure, follow the drawings on the programmer circuit board.)

3- Connect a usb programmer. Install programmer software and drivers to working computer (CH341A programmer software just a s...., only some versions are working properly.)

4- Download latest motherboard bios firmware (if compressed zip,rar vs, unzip it)

5- Open eeprom programmer software and select your bios rom chip manufacturer/model (or just click "detect" button) if everything is OK, you must see the chip brand and model information on the software screen

6- Select and load the firmware file you downloaded earlier.

7- Click Program/Write/Burn button and flash it

8- Put the flashed chip back in to bricked motherboard
(Pay attention to the direction of the chip)

9- Ta da!!

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
It is a guide for this? In have my computer with 2696 processor. This is for my brother, this mini PC. If i know how tot repair with EEPROM-FLASH BIOS, i do IT myself!
when doing this, do I need to unpack the chi from the motherboard? and put it in the same place, as I saw in a video?
You can use my mod bios,my motherboard is X99E-ITX/AC and CPU is E5-2696V3 too.You can flash the lock -50mv or lock-70mv.Both of them had been tested.

Reactions: Cata40

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
You can use my mod bios,my motherboard is X99E-ITX/AC and CPU is E5-2696V3 too.You can flash the lock -50mv or lock-70mv.Both of them had been tested.
Have you tested them on a X99 itx board?
I have to be careful, to put a good bios to make it first, because it does not have dual bios
if it fails, it will be a big problem, I need to look for bios
do you mean to put them directly with -50v or -70?
there the processor is an E5 2683 v3

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
if your motherboard turns to the brick during or after BIOS update

0- Turn off computer

1- Took out your bios rom from motherboard, (if its removable)
a- Pay attention to the direction of the chip before the remove!
b- Be careful the pins can be quite fragile.

2- Put that bios chip into usb programmer
(Same, pay attention to the direction of the chip. This can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you are unsure, follow the drawings on the programmer circuit board.)

3- Connect a usb programmer. Install programmer software and drivers to working computer (CH341A programmer software just a s...., only some versions are working properly.)

4- Download latest motherboard bios firmware (if compressed zip,rar vs, unzip it)

5- Open eeprom programmer software and select your bios rom chip manufacturer/model (or just click "detect" button) if everything is OK, you must see the chip brand and model information on the software screen

6- Select and load the firmware file you downloaded earlier.

7- Click Program/Write/Burn button and flash it

8- Put the flashed chip back in to bricked motherboard
(Pay attention to the direction of the chip)

9- Ta da!!
if the bios of the board is not removable what can I do?

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
if the bios of the board is not removable what can I do?

You can use a SOP8 clip adapter with 341A or TL866A programmer
s-l500.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...lips-Socket-Adpter-BIOS-24-25/2020962585.html

Reactions: Cata40

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac bios chip is a removable, thats mean you dont need to buy clip adapter.

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
I'm talking in advance, in case I fail with the bios, it can happen, although I hope it will come out well.
There is also a third alternative, to use the services of a qualified progamator
Do you think this method would work?
1. Unplug the PC from the wall
2. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds
3. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes
4. Put it back in
5. Insert the USB with the EXTRACTED BIOS into a fat32 USB. WITH NO FOLDER JUST THE FILE
6. Then press the clear CMOS button on the back of the motherboard
7. After that it started installing, then it restarted several times.

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
Do you think this method would work?
In some cases it may work.

EZ Flash bios, Instant Flash, Q flash and another easy flashing options are just the software and those software codes also inside the bios image.

If the bios image is completely or partially corrupted this method will not gonna work.

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
since I use the efi driver at xeon, it happened to me that I did not do the bios well, and even if it is partial or complete, the same result is that you can no longer enter the bios
Maybe the method is partially going, it should also be tried if you are having trouble.
I know from some friends who have laptop dell that they have bios recovery bottles, which, through some commands, can restore the bios very easily.
I think the popular motherboard brands have something like this

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
since I use the efi driver at xeon, it happened to me that I did not do the bios well, and even if it is partial or complete, the same result is that you can no longer enter the bios
Maybe the method is partially going, it should also be tried if you are having trouble.
I know from some friends who have laptop dell that they have bios recovery bottles, which, through some commands, can restore the bios very easily.
I think the popular motherboard brands have something like this
I had made few BIOS chip for back UP,you also can buy some for use .And you can flash the lock -50mv one is better. MY motherboard:https://valid.x86.fr/4hwq5v

ysnk

Sep 5, 2017
Can anyone please post a hacked BIOS for Supermicro x10DAX or x10DAi ?
Really appreciate it, cant figure out the process of modifying it.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
can you post here or ...?
You can buy a eeprom reader/writer adapter Minpro100 and some W25Q128FIQ chips to wtire a origenal BIOS in that for spare.
My MOD BIOS all had been test,if you not sure your CPU can work -70mv,you can use the -50mv one.