What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DOC_Zenith

Jun 21, 2017
ASUS&GIGABYTE can use a bios delete the microcode and set all the settings in the BIOS(set max turbo radio,CoreVOffset -70mv & CacheVOffset -50mv) and it worked higher frequency
very well without a EFI driver. But Asrock&MSI can not! So i make a bios delete the microcode and insert V3.EFI (V3.EFI transform V3.ffs)into the bios and it also worked very well without a EFI driver.Due to Asrock&MSI can not have an effective CoreVOffset,the frequency will lower than ASUS&GIGABYTE mainboard.My 2696v3 can worked 3.5GHz on ASUS X99-M WS,but 3.2GHz on Asrock X99M-Killer 3.1,so i want to get two V3.efi with CoreVOffset -50mv & CacheVOffset -50mv and V3.efi with CoreVOffset -70mv & CacheVOffset -50mv,and transform them insert into the bios.I think Asrock&MSI can also work higher frequency.
How did you get to 35x? My max on X99-A is 33x on all 18 cores active.

xma

Apr 19, 2017
Use a bios(no microcode),do not use any efi driver,set Vcore offset-70mv,set max turbo radio in the bios

I try it and got 34X on all 18 core. When running Corona Benchmark cpu at 33X and the uncore stays at 30X, when running CINEBENCH_R15 cpu at 34x but the uncore drop to 23X

Last edited:

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Use a bios(no microcode),do not use any efi driver,set Vcore offset-70mv,set max turbo radio in the bios
How exactly do I do that, if I don't have such setting in my motherboard's BIOS? I have ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1.

"Vcore offset" and "Vcache offset" don't appear even after I put overclocking jumper into "on" position and enable extreme overvoltage in BIOS.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
How exactly do I do that, if I don't have such setting in my motherboard's BIOS? I have ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1.

"Vcore offset" and "Vcache offset" don't appear even after I put overclocking jumper into "on" position and enable extreme overvoltage in BIOS.
full name:CPU Core Voltage &CPU Cache Voltage,you can fand them in the Tweaker's Paradise!

xma

Apr 19, 2017

I have the same motherhood ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 and i can select the offset for the vcore and vcache

See the photo
https://postimg.org/image/ip3ddivw3/
https://postimg.org/image/a83v2lr77/
https://postimg.org/image/7s21or94j/

7s21or94j
a83v2lr77
ip3ddivw3

Reactions: sciff

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, I had to disable "Fully manual mode" to see those settings. Thank you :)

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
Yeah, I had to disable "Fully manual mode" to see those settings. Thank you :)

Very good!My 2696V3@3.2GHz on theX99E-ITX/AC,the CB R15 can reach 2800+,but 3.5GHz on X99-M WS,the CB R15 only reach 2750+,so i want get a newV3.efi that CPU core voltage -70mv,i think asrock mainboard can reach higher score.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
This with or without V3.efi?
I know,but Asrock&Msi can not use this measure.So I want a new v3.efi that-70mv core offset. I can package the efi into the bios,and just only flash this mod bios ,and everyone can make E5 Turbo max easily.
E

junkim

May 12, 2017
I know,but Asrock&Msi can not use this measure.So I want a new v3.efi that-70mv core offset. I can package the efi into the bios,and just only flash this mod bios ,and everyone can make E5 Turbo max easily.
E
How to package the efi into the bios?

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
V3.efi transform into V3.ffs,use uefitool to insert it.
I've Asrock motherboard so I would need to use your method. Would you be able to provide additional links/info on how to transform efi to ffs file? Thanks.

P.S. I've 2683v3 and able to run 30X on all 28 threads but wanting to reduce the Vcore voltage. See my earlier post #990 to request for any assistance.

d0raw

Jul 22, 2017
could anyone create a kind of detailed video on this for me for the e5-2658 V3 on the ASRock extreme4 for me? I'm a visual learner so the complicated amounts of text here are slightly confusing.. I kind of need guidance with a voice/example to know what i'm doing..

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
I've Asrock motherboard so I would need to use your method. Would you be able to provide additional links/info on how to transform efi to ffs file? Thanks.

P.S. I've 2683v3 and able to run 30X on all 28 threads but wanting to reduce the Vcore voltage. See my earlier post #990 to request for any assistance.
Due to my English is very bad.I don't know how to describe transform efi to ffs file.But I can share most MOD BIOS for Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, Msi. And I want a V3.EFI with reduce the Vcore voltage -50mv or -70mv. Can someone make this after change V3.efi?

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Due to my English is very bad.I don't know how to describe transform efi to ffs file.But I can share most MOD BIOS for Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, Msi. And I want a V3.EFI with reduce the Vcore voltage -50mv or -70mv. Can someone make this after change V3.efi?
The V3.efi reduces Vcore by -20mV. I also tried V3x2_50_vcc.efi and V3x2_50_39_vcc.efi and it reduces the Vcore by -50mV. A bit better. After running the 28 threads for about half a day at 30X multiplier, the system appears to be stable but I don't really like the power consumption and the heat generation with -50mV reduction, hence my question in this forum. I'm guessing that I can further lower the Vcore voltage but unable to figure out how to do this with Asrock motherboard unless I get another Asus motherboard X99-E WS as described a few threads back. Anyway, thanks for responding.

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
could anyone create a kind of detailed video on this for me for the e5-2658 V3 on the ASRock extreme4 for me? I'm a visual learner so the complicated amounts of text here are slightly confusing.. I kind of need guidance with a voice/example to know what i'm doing..
There is a good package with necessary tools and instruction available here: http://www80.zippyshare.com/v/U179LJHE/file.html.
This is the one that I used.
I've not seen any video, so this is your best bet.

The instructions are available in the WORD file. Starts with folder with label "00*" first down to "06*" folders. You will know what I mean after you extract the zip package.

Reactions: d0raw

xma

Apr 19, 2017

Can you please make a mod bios with efi ( offset-Vcore 70mv, vcache -50mv) for ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1

junkim

May 12, 2017
Please one mod bios for ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 with V3.EFI inserted but without the voltage offset because my system not stable with voltage offset.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
Can you please make a mod bios with efi ( offset-Vcore 70mv, vcache -50mv) for ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1
ASUS can work without EFI,I suggest you use bios remove Microcode,set up the cpu radio in bios,and you can set cpu core voltage-50~-70,it will get higher frequency.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
Please one mod bios for ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 with V3.EFI inserted but without the voltage offset because my system not stable with voltage offset.
ASUS can work without EFI,I suggest you use bios remove Microcode,set up the cpu radio in bios,and you can set cpu core voltage-50~-70,it will get higher frequency.If unstable ,you can set up -20mv.

DRM8626

Jul 14, 2017
ok guys. so i figured out the modded bios. i used a 1.4 modded bios for the asrock x99 taichi. I also used the v3.efi listed on page 9. got the bios installed, got the shell setup and launched the efi file. got the turbos set with f11 in uefi mode. loaded into windows, and my frequencies are swapping from 1999 to 2888. really odd.

so i restarted, went into bios, added 5 to the bclk, disabled all power saving options, and turned off stepping, then redid the uefi turbo set.

now im getting 2099 to 2775. but it says my max is 3149.

So i went in and set my power mode to performance. didnt make a difference. I also did rename the microcode .dll file in windows before i did any of this.

is there any possible way i could lock all 14 cores at 3149 mhz full time? Ive got everything watercooled and im sitting at 33 c under load right now, so heat isnt an issue.

Any and all help is appreciated.
specs:
asrock taichi x99
2683 v3
24 gb 2133 corsair lpx vengeance ram

thanks again fellas

edit: SO

I just loaded up the very latest efis posted in the last few pages of this thread, and now all my cores are basically locked at 3149 mhz. they dip down for a second here and there but other wise theyre all locked. nothing like the variance I was getting before. so happy! thats awesome! thank you all for this thread!

Last edited: