What color wires to the "System Panel Connectors"?

bupkus

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2000
What color wires to the "System Panel Connectors"?

I'm trying to connect the wires in the right orientation.
The connectors have the following wires:

plug label____wire colors_______user manual
Speaker:____Red-NC-Black_____+5..NC..speaker
Power LED:__Green-White______PLED+...PLED-
HD LED:_____Red-White_______ -............+ {Is Red - or is it +}
Reset SW:___Blue-White_______Reset...Ground
DC. SW:_____Red-Black________PWR...GND

Do the wire colors match the expected polarity in the user manual, or do I have them reversed?

clumsum

Nov 19, 2000
I always figure the white is "common" to all, so I make it the gnd. (-) connection.
If the indicated function is not working properly, just reverse the connector.
Speaker doesn't seem to matter but, usually red is (+) and blk is (-).
Again, if it doesn't work, try reversing it.
Same with USB pin connectors on mb.

Looks like we agree, are you having trouble getting the led's or switches to work properly?

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
The switchs (reset and power) and speaker are not polarized, so it simply does not matter, either way will work. While the LEDs are polarized it does no harm to reverse bias them, that is the technical term which means hook up backwards, if it don't work flip it around.

I have never seen any standard followed for wire color to to front panel. You simply have to give it a try. It is nice that you can do no damage if you get it wrong.

Reactions: Norma Ray

Norma Ray

Mar 17, 2021
I came here to ask the same question . I have a user manual for my Gigabyte motherboard , but my chassis is an older Xion so I wanted to see if the wireing would be different . So far what I've got is (20 pin header)
pin 1: Hd activity Blue + 3:-
2: pl led yellow + 4: -
5: - reset white- 7:green +
6: power switch= Red. 8: -
9: chas int= white - 11 Grey +
10: x. 12:x.
13: power led + 15: - 19:-
14: speaker orange + 16 nc
18: nc. 20. -

13: speaker orange+ 15: na
17: 19
18: na. 20: black or white

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
if the wireing would be differen
With an older chassis the wiring may require a mod to one or two of the front panel connectors, I had to do this once. Best to update the chassis, the connector for the front panel may be different.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It's tedium that requires a little attention but not a lot of time. If many of the pairs have white wires, those are likely ground/common connections.

I'm refurbing a 13-year-old aluminum case design. There are no eSATA ports, so I have to mod my own. I don't like the LEDs that came with the case, so I'm putting those of my own choice into a small panel that fills a top "handle recess" in the top of the case-front.

At least with ASUS boards, they give you a plug to install all of your case-panel wires, and you can just pull the whole plug and then reseat it as necessary. But I never have the presence of mind to use it. Eyesight of aging makes matters worse. A bright LED flashlight and magnifier helps!