Question What "cheap" current processor/MB should I be looking at for "gaming light"?

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
I'm starting to do some research for a system upgrade mid to late fall maybe even Christmas. I'm looking to keep it cheap as just about anything will do better than what I have. The system will be web browsing and 'light' gaming.

From a gaming standpoint, I am doing older games like Battletech with Roguetech upgrade(ie memory hog), Shadowrun Returns, and Warhammer 2. None of them are that big of a deal and are usable on an antiquated 4690k with 16GB ram and a pair of 560ti cards :eek: They also did okay on a Skull Canyon NUC:joycat:

I am NOT going to be buying a video card of any sort but I believe that anything current generation will have onboard graphics that are much better than the 560ti in SLI.

Size of motherboard isn't a concern. I don't care if I go regular ATX or smaller. I'm hoping for something compatible with my current power supply; EVGA NEX650G.

I'm not stuck on any brand of CPU or MB. But historically, I've leaned Intel and ASUS. Am I crazy to think a Pentium or AMD equivalent will do what I need?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I'm starting to do some research for a system upgrade mid to late fall maybe even Christmas. I'm looking to keep it cheap as just about anything will do better than what I have. The system will be web browsing and 'light' gaming.

From a gaming standpoint, I am doing older games like Battletech with Roguetech upgrade(ie memory hog), Shadowrun Returns, and Warhammer 2. None of them are that big of a deal and are usable on an antiquated 4690k with 16GB ram and a pair of 560ti cards :eek: They also did okay on a Skull Canyon NUC:joycat:

I am NOT going to be buying a video card of any sort but I believe that anything current generation will have onboard graphics that are much better than the 560ti in SLI.

Size of motherboard isn't a concern. I don't care if I go regular ATX or smaller. I'm hoping for something compatible with my current power supply; EVGA NEX650G.

I'm not stuck on any brand of CPU or MB. But historically, I've leaned Intel and ASUS. Am I crazy to think a Pentium or AMD equivalent will do what I need?
This build should run the games you talk about just fine without a video card. Ryzen 5700G build

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Just get a 12100F + GTX1650/Super build for a similar price as a 5700G build and it will run circles around any iGPU. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Lgdd9

Recommending a quad core? And a video card with 4GB of RAM? Those won't do well if OP keeps their system as long as the last one. Also, your build comes without a case and power supply as the 5700G build for around the same price. Those parts may not be necessary, and if not shaves $110 off the 5700G build.

As to the original post, you weren't kidding about the memory hog the Roguetech is. Sounds like you will be looking at 32GB of memory. If you want to go without a dGPU than the 5600G or 5700G are your best options. They have similar graphics performance. The real difference is six vs eight cores.

If you want to go with a dGPU then we'd really have to have an idea as to what you consider a "budget" CPU. An Intel 12400f or AMD 5600 might do well there. If you decide to go dGPU then I could make some recommendations, but I would also need to have some sort of dollar range you are looking for first.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Just get a 12100F + GTX1650/Super build for a similar price as a 5700G build and it will run circles around any iGPU. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Lgdd9
IDK, I would be very reluctant to do a new build now with a quad core processor, even though, granted, it would play basic games very well. I probably would move up to the 12400f, six core, for only 70.00 more. (177.99 on a quick check, might be able to find it cheaper.)

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Recommending a quad core?...
LOL what? A 12100F is faster in gaming than a Zen 2 8-core CPU:

Average.png

The mantra that quad cores are inadequate for gaming only applies if you're aiming for high refresh rate gaming in AAA titles with top of the line GPUs.
And a video card with 4GB of RAM? Those won't do well if OP keeps their system as long as the last one
A 4GB GTX 1650 is perfectly fine for light gaming with older titles, especially if the target resolution is 1080p. The longevity argument doesn't work because an iGPU would become obsolete faster than a 4GB 1650. You'll need to turn down settings on both - to keep it playable on a 5700G, and to keep textures below 4GB on a 1650. Accounting for these compromises, still a 1650 would be much faster.

Reactions: Ranulf

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
LOL what? A 12100F is faster in gaming than a Zen 2 8-core CPU:

Average.png

The mantra that quad cores are inadequate for gaming only applies if you're aiming for high refresh rate gaming in AAA titles with top of the line GPUs.

A 4GB GTX 1650 is perfectly fine for light gaming with older titles, especially if the target resolution is 1080p. The longevity argument doesn't work because an iGPU would become obsolete faster than a 4GB 1650. You'll need to turn down settings on both - to keep it playable on a 5700G, and to keep textures below 4GB on a 1650. Accounting for these compromises, still a 1650 would be much faster.

Why are you comparing it to Zen 2? That's old news. Instead you compare a 2022 CPU to a 2019 one. Look at the 5600X numbers. The 5700G would be around there, which is competing with a 12400.

Reactions: Kaluan

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
IGPs aren't that much better than a 10 year old mid level SLI setup? :eek: Color me beyond shocked.

The only two things your SLI config has against it (when compared to IGP) are: age due to driver support and power usage. Otherwise you have two graphics cards (and drivers) designed for gaming and designed to work together, they each have their own dedicated RAM so they don't have to play hopscotch with regard to waiting for access to system RAM, and Intel's gaming support in my experience has been pretty pants, for example over ten years on from KOTOR1 and I still needed to do ini file tweaks so that the game didn't repeatedly crash within minutes of starting and the performance still wasn't great. AMD's iGPU hardware and drivers are undoubtedly going to be better (than Intel's) because that's their primary sales point.

Maybe Intel's iGPU drivers have improved since then, but I rather doubt it. IMO gaming is an afterthought in Intel's iGPU department.

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Why are you comparing it to Zen 2? That's old news. Instead you compare a 2022 CPU to a 2019 one. Look at the 5600X numbers. The 5700G would be around there, which is competing with a 12400.
The point is that a new Alder Lake quad core CPU is going to be much faster than you think it could be. Also, a 5600/X is at least twice as expensive compared to the 12100F.

The 12100F is hands down the best option for budget gamers at this point.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Newegg and Amazon (preorder) have the 5600X for $189. That's not bad. Save money with cheaper boards compared to Alder Lake.

I would do that and a 6600 which you can get for around $260.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
The point is that a new Alder Lake quad core CPU is going to be much faster than you think it could be. Also, a 5600/X is at least twice as expensive compared to the 12100F.

OK... 109.99 vs 159.00. But "at least twice as expensive".

I also wouldn't recommend a quad core to anyone looking to game these days. And why are we evening talking about this? The OP said they did not want a dGPU. Should they change their mind, a 12400f or 5600 paired with an RX 6600 would absolutely destroy a 1650 super. Not even close. That is why I asked for a budget to try to make some recommendations.

Reactions: Tlh97

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I also wouldn't recommend a quad core to anyone looking to game these days.
There is not a single justifiable reasoning behind this advice, especially when the quad-core in question is the 12100F.
The OP said they did not want a dGPU.
iGPU gaming with the 5600G/5700G is sub-optimal. You're stuck with <30 FPS with low/medium settings at 1080p on modern AAA titles.

On Warhammer II specifically:

5600G:

1600x900 low 40.6 FPS avg.

GTX 1650:

1920x1080 medium 64.5 FPS avg.

The 5600G build is $130 cheaper (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3jWsDc) than the 12100F + GTX 1650 build I posted before, but is a much worse gaming experience overall. There is no need for six or more cores for the kind of gaming done by the OP. Save money on the CPU and invest it in the GPU.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The GTX 1650 is a terrible buy if you live in the U.S. I don't know what some people's obsession is with it, but it is still selling for over MSRP here. There are cards that merk it for less money. If we consider the used market, it gets bodied even worse.

Total War:Warhammer 2 is an intense game, and can smack a powerful GPU and CPU around. 3 v 3 for example is serious business. Buy as much PC as you can afford for that game.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for good info provided so far.
Total War:Warhammer 2 is an intense game, and can smack a powerful GPU and CPU around. 3 v 3 for example is serious business. Buy as much PC as you can afford for that game.

I have zero plans of doing multiplayer... I'm not nearly that social:D

As to the original post, you weren't kidding about the memory hog the Roguetech is. Sounds like you will be looking at 32GB of memory. If you want to go without a dGPU than the 5600G or 5700G are your best options. They have similar graphics performance. The real difference is six vs eight cores.

If you want to go with a dGPU then we'd really have to have an idea as to what you consider a "budget" CPU. An Intel 12400f or AMD 5600 might do well there. If you decide to go dGPU then I could make some recommendations, but I would also need to have some sort of dollar range you are looking for first.
On Roguetech being a memory hog, it isn't a laughing matter. I can watch it push 10-11GB regularly while playing. I was planning to drop the cash for 32GB.

On the IGP, I was only looking that direction because I was under the impression that it should handily match the dual 560ti's I'm currently running. If that is not the case, I won't worry about IGPs and reuse my current 560ti's.

For the actual CPU side, I have no intention of core chasing. In watching the resource monitor for Roguetech(my current vice), I can watch CPU usage hit maybe 33% across all cores. So that tells me it is good for more cpu cores.

I hate putting a hard budget on things because I'm always willing to pay to play. In this case, I haven't kept up on CPU/MB prices so I can't really give a great range. For the MB, I'd say a low end one would do what I want(~$150???) I'm at a bit of a loss for CPU but my initial thought when I started this thread was Pentium or i3 level CPU... although in further quick browsing, it looks like Pentium is still only 2 core.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would retire the 560's because of the power and heat alone.

On CPU: The i5 12400 or Ryzen 5600 are the best bang for buck now. Good B660 boards are also dropping in price. There are 32GB kits of 3600MHz for under $100. That is the build I would do. Forget IGP and couple it with a newer used card. A used GTX 1660 can be had for $140 https://www.ebay.com/p/2318581991?iid=354201154456

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
I would retire the 560's because of the power and heat alone.

On CPU: The i5 12400 or Ryzen 5600 are the best bang for buck now. Good B660 boards are also dropping in price. There are 32GB kits of 3600MHz for under $100. That is the build I would do. Forget IGP and couple it with a newer used card. A used GTX 1660 can be had for $140 https://www.ebay.com/p/2318581991?iid=354201154456
I won't say the power on the 560s is not an issue but I'm in the US so I have a bit of leeway on counting watts. But, this cycle of upgrades won't include buying a dGPU. So I am either running the 560s or an IGP.

Like too many things, the computer upgrade cycle is way to easy to "but for another $100 I can get <fill it in>" and then find one's self with $1k(USD) in upgrades :joycat:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I won't say the power on the 560s is not an issue but I'm in the US so I have a bit of leeway on counting watts. But, this cycle of upgrades won't include buying a dGPU. So I am either running the 560s or an IGP.

Like too many things, the computer upgrade cycle is way to easy to "but for another $100 I can get <fill it in>" and then find one's self with $1k(USD) in upgrades :joycat:
I completely understand the tight budget, it is my favorite market. I won't recommend GPUs on the wrong side of cradle to grave/ bathtub curve. Not worth the risk IMO. And I make the point frequently myself, about how easy it is to nickel and dime yourself right out of your budget.

Given your situation, I would build a 5600G system. The market is chock-a-block with good AM4 boards under $100. The modern iGPU will have much better driver support, and with 3600MHz in dual rank dual channel will perform well. The Vega on the 5600G will do 2300MHz by changing one setting in the UEFI. You can do it with the Radeon software or other methods in windows too. The clock speed increase didn't require any extra voltage either. You can add your 560tis if they outperform it. I doubt that happens though. You can add a newer GPU down the road. Ignore anyone that trots out the "it's only PCIE 3.0" It doesn't make any significant difference. Not a single game requires lowering res or settings compared to 4.0 to have the same experience.

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022

"At least twice as expensive"
Not at all, 5600X is less than twice and 5600 is "just" 65% more expensive. Add the fact that you can get much cheaper/feature rich boards for AM4 than for socket 1700 and it's a wash for either option.

12100F might be good tho if you 1. Don't care about any board features or overclocking/tweaking (including RAM) and 2. Don't care about any sort of futureproofing and can be content with sub-par performance in the coming years as well as weak multitasking performance now.

Edit: And 3. of course: if you want/can only afford a absolute bare basics budget build, some 12100F + shit tier H610 motherboard should be quite a bit cheaper than anything else. Then again, 11th gen may be better for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigg and DAPUNISHER

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The Vega 8 iGPU @1600 MHz is barely an improvement over a 560 Ti:

At 2000+ MHz, it might be like 10-15% better. To the OP, would you really want to invest in a 5600G build now, given that it is going to be hardly any faster than your 10 year old 560 Ti?

• Wow
Reactions: Grazick

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
The best cheapest option is the i3 chips (F models without graphics but I'd prefer igpu included), and they are 4c/8t not just 4c. The best long term mid-range budget buy right now is probably the i5 6 core 12400 or a ryzen 5 5600 (non x unless the X drops to $150-60). The intel option is more expensive mobos but the option to go to raptor lake in the future. AM4 would lock you into a 5600 or just cpus with more cores/threads but not much faster than the 5600. That or you wait till Sept./October to see what AMD and Intel put out and buy the newest ddr5 required AM5 cpu or ddr4/5 Intel Raptor Lake or pick up 12th gen AlderLake/AM4 parts on sale. Honestly, if you can wait that would probably be the best cheap option. Pick up the fire sale old gen parts this fall.

If going Intel, I'd go igpu just to have it as a back up and keep using the 560ti's. The only sane igpu option is the $149 Ryzen 5600g with Vega7 graphics. Vega7 gpu specs:

Your 560ti cards in SLI are roughly 50% faster in relative performance according to techpowerup. So realistically, you're going to be still using the 560ti cards.-

Reactions: Lil'John

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Thank you again everyone for all the continued input.
<snip>

Your 560ti cards in SLI are roughly 50% faster in relative performance according to techpowerup. So realistically, you're going to be still using the 560ti cards.-
I'll check out the link but good lord, I wouldn't have thought the 560ti SLI would be competitive 10+ years later. Sure they pull a bit more power and put a bit of heat out. That $250 "giggle buy" to say I had SLI seems to be "paying off". :joycat:

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
iGPUs take up valuable real estate on a chip, as well as requiring a share of the power draw. Given the number of cores and the power consumption of modern cpus, it really doesn't make sense to drastically increase gpu power given the (until recently) availability of cheap gpus that are far more powerful. Even a 1050ti will give any igpu a run for its money, and something like a 1650 will blow any of them away.

With most people who run igpus only use their PCs for work or office type apps, and most gamers opting for discrete gpus, there hasn't really been a strong market for better igpus.

desrever

Nov 6, 2021
Most IGPUs are targeted as mobile processors first and repurposed for desktop. They are lower power and generally pretty slow compared to even low end cards.

For OP's purpose tho, a 5600G would still probably do everything he needs.

Reactions: scannall