What causes the "Transfer Error" in Napster? I don't lose my connection but the download stops.

rnmcd

Platinum Member
May 2, 2000
What causes the "Transfer Error!" in Napster? I don't lose my connection but the download stops.

Tonight is the first time I've tried to use Napster and I can't seem to download more than 70% of a song. It also appears that the User that I am downloading from is still online after I get the "Transfer Error!" message.

Do you happen to know if there are any Napster user message boards?

Thanks, rnmcd

JeSpre

Oct 9, 1999
I would guess that the other person cancelled the transfer. Unfortunately, there's too many people on there to just get songs, not share. I don't have a problem with that by itself, but people should disable their file server if they aren't willing to share. That's pretty much the only way it would happen though, especially if they are still online after the "Transfer Error".

radiocore

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Usually, when you're pulling files from someone, they're pulling files from someone else. And once they get what they want, they sign off and thats why you lose your connection and get the transfer error. Another reason is that they are sharing over broadband or something and your connection is really slow and they just kick you off.

Ravenit

Feb 25, 2000
I mainly us www.themusiclover.com to get songs otherwise I will only use napster as a last resor,t at least I can resume broken downloads with gozilla but I have never been able to resume with napster.

rnmcd

Platinum Member
May 2, 2000
I am pretty sure that my problem is that I download at a lousy 15-20kbps and the person I am downloading from just kicks me off.

Thanks for your input.

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Transfer error is generally caused when someone (the person you're downloading from) kicks you off.

As for the etiquette of that, it's a tough call. I try to hang once I'm finished with my downloads until those downloading from me are also finished. However during that period I do kick off anyone who starts a fresh download.

ironwoode

May 2, 2000
There are also a number of jerks on Napster who think it is funny to stop a transfer when it is nearly done. I have had this happen to me a number of times. One guy sent me a very insulting message and teased me about killing the transfer. If the same person starts doing this often, just report him to Napster and they will ban them from the service. I have learned to deal with this, but it still annoys me that people can be so childish.

edprush

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2000
I started instant messaging the people that I was downloading from after I got the Transfer Error message.

They claimed they were not disconnecting me.

Are they B.S'n me?

I can't download a single tune!