What caused CompUSA and CircutCiity to fail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The kind of things you need from CVS cant be held off. If you need aspirin, you NEED aspirin. Waiting 3 days for Amazon to deliver aspirin is ridiculous. And paying extra for next day delivery of aspirin is crazy.

Sometimes. Or you actually buy stuff as you get low like you notice your kid's Delsym is low when you give them a dose. I last went to CVS for dental floss, Flonase, etc. The floss was similar price so I bought it there, but not the Flonase. You don't need to buy Asprin in an emergency that often if you're doing it right.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I bought a few things from CC and Compusa but in the end CC employes were horrible. And there was best Buy coming on the scene. Fortunately the Compusa near me became a micro center which I go to often.

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Lots of reasons.

The big one for me that stands out is they didn't innovate. Still stuck like it's the 90s.

Also, customer service sucks and this type of environment put off less tech savy buyers. It's actually intimidating. It's like going to the gym for the first time and seeing nothing but beautiful men/women with 6 pack abs and tiny waist. In the case of Circuit City, you were greeted by a nerd who knows more than you and who acts like his sh*t don't stink. I'm pretty tech savy, but I still don't like going into Best Buy. I remember walking around for 15 minutes and just being frustrated. I was only looking for something that was in the other part of the store. Zero help. ZERO! Now, imagine buying a laptop and you don't know sh*t about technology. Hello internet.

Compare the sh*tty service in America to Korea, In Korea, you're greeted by a guy in a suit. Every isle has a helper. I couldn't speak Korean so I didn't really need their assistance, but you get the point.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Same reason malls all over the US are empty and why Sears is becoming an online store, the internet is a lot more convenient for people to shop and get things sent to them.

Nov 20, 2009
Speaking from my brief experience the abuse of returns killed CompUSA. As an employee shortly following Xmas, I looked up at a stack of Compaq computers that people returned. not 10, not 20, but more than 100 sitting on multiple pallets. In fact the returns from buyer's remorse was so strong Compaq developed a process to ship specialized repackaging boxes to CompUSA so they could repack them and sell them as used for 15% off.

People in America love the freebie return policy. It is one thing to burden this as a business on items with margins >40%, but on a desktop PC with a margin <5% that was pure destruction. Hell, even Costco changed their return policy on televisions when they expanded greatly into the southeast. It was only 2-3 years after I started my membership when they changed the returns on TV from practically lifetime to 90 days. And yet I also witnessed a-holes buy big screen TVs for the Superbowl and then try to return them. BB finally wiised up and placed a special return policy on them during a period leading up to the SB.

No one in America--speaking of cowsumers--takes responsibility for buying and keeping based on their decision. Most things, I'm betting, that are returned are done so for any reason other than defect.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Sometimes. Or you actually buy stuff as you get low like you notice your kid's Delsym is low when you give them a dose. I last went to CVS for dental floss, Flonase, etc. The floss was similar price so I bought it there, but not the Flonase. You don't need to buy Asprin in an emergency that often if you're doing it right.
I can't buy pseudoephedrine online so there's that.....

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
No one in America--speaking of cowsumers--takes responsibility for buying and keeping based on their decision. Most things, I'm betting, that are returned are done so for any reason other than defect.
I don't return anything; well, *hardly ever. I bought a cheapo cell from walmart, and it didn't work, so I took it back, but I couldn't tell you the last time I returned something. It was probably the 80s or early 90s. If I buy something, it's either carefully considered, or I consider the money disposable.

*Real time edit:
I was looking for a used sprint lg g3 earlier this year. First one had a blown speaker, second was boost, and sprint wouldn't activate it, but the third worked as expected.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
It does amaze me the number of folks who do their normal household shopping there; soap, toilet paper, etc.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
It does amaze me the number of folks who do their normal household shopping there; soap, toilet paper, etc.
What amazes me even more is that pharmacy stores are starting to sell wine. My local CVS, started to sell low alcohol content wines. I am referring to the non-expensive wines that you usually find at most grocery stores now a days.

Rite Aid is well known as the pharmacy store that sells the largest assortment of game credit or timed membership cards for online or multiplayer games. Never go there if you want to buy any of those cards, I have seen gaming addicts scratching the cards and writing down the codes, even when the card rack is in front of the cashier and one of them is already probably calling the cops.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
What amazes me even more is that pharmacy stores are starting to sell wine. My local CVS, started to sell low alcohol content wines. I am referring to the non-expensive wines that you usually find at most grocery stores now a days.

CVS around here have been selling hard liquor for as long as I can remember. Decent selection too.

They are probably limited by law what they can sell in your neck of the woods.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Had a funny dream once that I picked up a beer at the Tim Horton's drive thru. I woke up and was like "wait, that's not a bad idea!".

Some parts of the US have drive-thru liquor stores. It's a great idea, there are no possible problems with giving people instant access to large amounts of alcohol while they're behind the wheel.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The start of the death of Circuit City was their huge ill-advised investment in the DIVX system. DIVX was an early alternative to DVDs, kind of a Red Box system. The discs were cheap but could only be played in a 48 hour window. The player was proprietary and had to be hooked up to a phone line (remember those?)

I'm sure the executives at CC thought they would make a killing selling both the DIVX players and the movies. The public generally hated the idea and I'm not sure if it ever got out of the prototype phase.

CompUSA was always a dump, the only thing they were good for was price mistakes and rebate items. Being bought out by the bottom feeder of bottom feeders, Tiger Direct, made their total failure inevitable.

Even without each of their blunders internet sellers spelled their doom in the long run. Around here there are only two big box electronics sellers left, and both are mere shadows of what the electronics brick and mortar industry used to be.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Some parts of the US have drive-thru liquor stores. It's a great idea, there are no possible problems with giving people instant access to large amounts of alcohol while they're behind the wheel.

Haha did not think that would even be legal, but I guess if it's unopened alcohol then technically it's ok, but it's kinda a gray area lol.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Haha did not think that would even be legal, but I guess if it's unopened alcohol then technically it's ok, but it's kinda a gray area lol.

Back in the mid-70's I took a road trip through Tennessee. Gas stations sold beer in vending machines-and tall boys at that. That was pre-MADD days.