What card is going to get me the best D3 performance for the buck?

ExcaliburMM

Jan 24, 2009
www.Staredit.net
Out-of-the-box NV usually has better drivers however ATI soon after goes and optimizes theirs as well. You really shouldn't let drivers play too big a role in your choice these days because both companies work hard to fix driver issues and such. The hardware is what you're paying for.

You might want to consider an HD5770 or wait and see what the mid-tier fermi cards look like as they're not released yet.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Just wait till the game releases. For all we know, that could be another couple years.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Diablo 3 is 2011 at earliest estimate. Don't hold your breath there will be a new generation of video cards out by then.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
If you have to buy right now the best bang for buck for a game like D3 would probably be the Radeon 5770. However if you wait until the game actually comes out you could get a card 2-4 times as fast for the same price.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
I just came back from the future myself.. lets just say there wasnt much left after nV introduced 512 core Fermi..

we`re all gonna Die!!!!!!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I just came back from the future myself.. lets just say there wasnt much left after nV introduced 512 core Fermi..

we`re all gonna Die!!!!!!

Somebody should let nvidia know about global warming and it's effects on gamers and society :)

OP just take the wait and see thing.

capita

Jan 21, 2010
I can't say anything about D3 but talking about blizzard, I have tested there up coming starcraft 2 game's beta version (and thus less optimized) and it runs fine on 1920x1080 with everything on highest with ATi 5770.

If that helps.

Also keep in mind that blizzard games are always optimized to be run on wide range of hardware dating back a few years since their games are very popular and are played competitively online for very long time. Most people can't afford the latest and greatest tech and they keep that in mind.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Can't wait for that title.
Echoing what most have said here. Wait til the game launches before worrying about what will play it.

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
Judging from past games and blizzard's motives, I think any mid range performing graphics card will do perfectly fine.

Their mindset seems to be with getting the best looking settings on a mid-high range card settings, anything over is nice but overkill. It probably has to do with reasons for marketing to the right specs of people's PC's too.

Believe it or not, I'm sure a majority of gamers out there (normal, not enthusiasts makes up a great majority) would not like the fact of having to upgrade to be able to play D3/S2.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Bang the buck right now? Get a 5770. Later you can add another one if desired. 5770 crossfire is the win.

If you don't want something right now then wait a few months for Nvidia to flesh out their lineup of dx11 cards. Once that happens prices should come down for all the cards, then re-evaluate. No one knows how Nvidia's sub $200 dx11 cards will perform. They could suck or they could be great, who knows. One thing is for sure though, once their lineup finally gets completely released prices will stop sucking so badly.