What card from ATI is equivalent to an EN8500GT?

delussional77

Jan 1, 2004
I just installed a new mobo that has HDMI onboard. I had initially intended on hooking up my LCD TV to this mobo's onboard HDMI and then using a video card to get signals to my dual LCD monitors.

Well it turns out the only easy way to get 3 displays present while using this mobo is to use "surroundview" mode which only works with an ATI video card. I currently have an Nvidia EN8500GT (fan-cooled) card.

So it looks like I'll need to get rid of this nvidia card and replace it with an a card made or supported by ATI. I'm sort've a computer hardware noob so please recommend a decent equivalent ATI card to replace this nvidia.

Please note that I don't game with my LCD monitors and I don't usually play any hi-def content on the video card to the monitors either. It is my understanding this Gigabyte mobo's "surroundview" feature can use some portion of the video card's shared memory however.

For reference I am using the Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H.

If anyone has a comment on the "surroundview" feature please let me know. I haven't gotten many definitive responses to it's ability to allow 3 monitors to work simultaneously.

iBPJohn

Jun 10, 2008
Well similar cards to the 8500GT would be a 3470 or a 3650 card but with your requirements a 3450 should be fine.

Not sure about the surroundview.

delussional77

Jan 1, 2004
seems like most new cards offered from ATI utilize surroundview

it allows you to have more than the standard 2 monitors active when using a PCI video card...

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Probably just pick the cheapest 3450 that supports surroundview. Added bonus is the excellent video-accelerated decoding the 3xx0 cards provide.