What car was advertised as "Bad to the Bone"

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: paulney
is that the car that can take on Viper and lost of other fast cars?

in stock form, no.

up the boost, if ya want, TT it, and yes, it can.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

You are thinking of the GNX. I think it had a turbocharged straight six.

and thats the car in that advertisement...

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE

No, that's a standard 200hp Grand National in the commercial, not the 275hp GNX variant. Only made in '87, and only 547 built. Word round the campfire is that a stock GNX could take out a stock Corvette in 0-60 and quarter-mile, thus breaking an unwritten rule within GM that the Vette would always be the fastest production car. Chevrolet directors bitched to the board, and shortly thereafter Buicks became grandma cars. :thumbsdown:

<---former '84 Regal owner with lots of GNX pipe dreams in highschool

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: AStar617

No, that's a standard 200hp Grand National in the commercial, not the 275hp GNX variant. Only made in '87, and only 547 built. Word round the campfire is that a stock GNX could take out a stock Corvette in 0-60 and quarter-mile, thus breaking an unwritten rule within GM that the Vette would always be the fastest production car. Chevrolet directors bitched to the board, and shortly thereafter Buicks became grandma cars. :thumbsdown:

whoopsies. forgot about that difference.

forgot they had the GN and the GNX.

they also had the Regal Turbo, the same thing as the GNX, but not all black.

then they had the turbo Trans-Am. which was faster than the GNX, and definately broke the unwritten rule within GM.

this is also the reason most believe that the Fiero got canned once they made it pretty damn good. the next engine that was being dropped in there, would make it faster than the vette

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Very nice. I saw the thread title and summary and instantly thought GNX. Yummy turboed v6, 275 underrated HP in 1985, EPA be damned! There was a very nicely kept/restored one where I used to live in WV, and the person definitely knows what they have; the license plate read "BADBLK". I saw it every morning and drooled every morning :p

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AStar617

The 200hp GN was 1984 - 1985. 1986 it was rated at 235hp and in 1987 it was 245hp.

And the GM rule was that the corvette would always have the highest hp rating. It was rated at 230hp.

The only GN commercial I saw back then was a 30 second piece that showed 3 high end cars (ferrari, lambo and porsch) on a long stretch of highway with a GN passing them all.