What can you do with money (dollar bills) that's torn???

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
I was curious as to what constitutes a dollar bill?? ($1, $10, $100 whatever)

Do you simply have to have "more than half" to be able to acceptingly deposit money at a bank?? (Obviously if they accept your deposit, you're good).

And what about a bill torn in half??

Watching L&O C.I. tonight, I noticed a bit in there about a guy who was paid "half" now & "half" later & it was a $100 bill torn in half. Obviously the guy got both halves, but is it legit??? Can you bring both halves to the bank & claim all $100?? (taped together or otherwise)

????

TIA

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if you have a complete , but torn bill, you can exchange it at a bank
i don't know about how much of a partial bill you need

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
You will be interested to know that the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP), through its Office of Currency Standards, processes all reimbursement for damaged United States currency. They decide the redemption value of torn or otherwise unfit currency by measuring the portions of the notes submitted. Generally, they reimburse the full face value if clearly more than one-half of the original note remains. Currency fragments measuring less than one-half are not redeemable.

from here http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/sales.shtml

I've also heard that most banks take back damaged money and are supposed to exchange it wiht the treasury for new money

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Doze,

Thanks. Some very interesting reading on that site.

Sounds like if you've got a bill & it's sometihng a bank doesn't wanna touch, you still have recourse with the treasury.

(Too bad about folks with those "pre 1862" $1,000 notes, eh?? LOL!)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Money is weird isn't it???

Money..............(if you say it enough times it even "sounds" funny. Like toilet.......LMAO!!!)

Toilet, toilet, toilet, toilet. (Sending this thread south even faster than normal now..........ROTFLMAO!!!!)

Actually, I dig money as a medium. I love our older bills like the "woodchopper" bills and "educational" notes, etc. We're getting some color back in our bills now, but they used to be soooooooo much more colorful & beautiful. Almost less like a 'currency' and more like 'art'.

Torn money makes me cry.............:p

xrax

Sep 17, 2005
what happens if you tear two singles in half and then tape the oposite halfs together? Are they still legal?

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
Ask this guy. :D

That's hilarious 'cuz I was thinkin' about his name last week on L&O SVU. He guest starred & I remember thinkin'..........(How horrible were his parents.......really?!?! LOL!!!!)