What can you do with a Poli Sci major?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I've always been into history long before computers. But since I didn't think I've ever get a decent job from majoring in history, I decided to go for a computer science degree, which I like just as much.

If I would of went history, I probably would of switched to poli sci because I like politics. But what exactly can you do with a poli sci degree besides law school and trying to pursue a political goal (if you have lots of money).

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I got my Poli Sci degree and now I am working entry level IT making less than 30k. :thumbup:

No honestly though anything after a poli sci degree is going to require more schooling. Masters, PhD, or law school. Personally if I had to pick a given field I would take International Relations graduate program at University of Chicago.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
There seem to be a lot of new Starbucks opening up all over the place. Sounds like job security to me.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I was a polysci major for 2 years-- I realized after the numerous political theories and ideologies I "learned" (read: in one ear, out the other) that I'd probably just end up the smartest burger flipper at the nearest McD's if I didn't get out of it. With that said, I switched to IT, and I already have a job in the field.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
<sarcasm> flip burgers? </sarcasm>

Most of what you would do with a political science degree, as stated by ScottFern, would involve continuing education.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth

Most of what you would do with a political science degree, as stated by ScottFern, would involve continuing education.

Originally posted by: So
Topic Title: What can you do with a Poli Sci major?
Go hungry at night.

Originally posted by: Estrella
you can always marry a rich chick

are you kids stupid?
... you guys are DISSERS.
I have to offer my fair share as well, let me first say:

I'll be honest man. As much as I love politics, I "hate" writing the fvckin' papers for social studies related courses. Reading the shi_ is so damn interesting. But dude, writing about them, good hell, our instructors might as well have us cut out newspaper articles to turn in for our assignments -

here's my play:

Professor: Where's your paper?
fire400: Right in front of you.
Professor: That's a clip from Times Magazine?
fire400: Are you saying this is plaj-
Professor: Yes, yes it is.
fire400: You expect me to live my life like this?
Professor: I expect you to do your homework so you can work your way upto the exam and pass my class. Thus you get credit.
fire400: That's it?
Professor: Did you pay for this class?
fire400: Full-ride.
Professor: Then you're wasting tax-payer money.
fire400: It's government money, no longer the citizens' money.
Professor: Where did the money come from?
fire400: Oil.
Professor: Who's fighting for the oil?
fire400: Our troops.
Professor: They are your brothers and sisters, dedicated leaders who sacrifice every day of their lives.
fire400: Are you going to pass me?
Professor: Get your face out of my office.
fire400: I worked hard to cut this article out. Not to mention how hard it took to find it.
Professor: Look me in the eye. You call that hard work?
fire400: I took the time to read it.
Professor: Read the syllabus one more time.
fire400: I threw it away before the first day of class ended.
Professor: You are a discrace to this country, get your rollers out of my office.
fire400: This school sucks.
Professor: Patience, child, I will see you taking this course over again next semester should you decide that your future is important.
fire400: See ya.

anyway, with over 500,000 public offices, you are well competing against over 100,000 people who commute to work everyday, and you, my friend, have a college degree, right? get into a private office, top secret stuff, and your job will be more worth while. the stakes are high, but when you're gambling your career, you've got everything to gain, and nothing to lose, just so long you don't go to bars every night and don't hang out with low life guys who cheat on their wives.

eat your heart out, finish what you started if you haven't already done so.

http://www.apsanet.org/section_74.cfm
http://www2.gsu.edu/~polaah/careers.htm
http://www.politicaljobs.net/

p.s. what did you think of my lame play?

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: txrandom
I've always been into history long before computers. But since I didn't think I've ever get a decent job from majoring in history, I decided to go for a computer science degree, which I like just as much.

If I would of went history, I probably would of switched to poli sci because I like politics. But what exactly can you do with a poli sci degree besides law school and trying to pursue a political goal (if you have lots of money).

You could always get a masters in Poli Sci.

gocubs2k5

Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Originally posted by: txrandom

You could always get a masters in Poli Sci.

I got my undergrad degree in history, and polisci was one of my minors (german was the other). I found after graduation that I really wasn't qualified to do too much of anything, so naturally I am now in law school. It works for me.

while those who studied some kind of science/math/both may have larger earning potential right out of college, at least I can say that I really did enjoy my classes in college purely and simply because they were interesting, not tolerated them because they were necessary. that meant a great deal to me.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
get an econ or business degree to go with it. It seems everyone, including myself is double majoring in polysci and something or another. (econ in my case)

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
i graduated with a poli sci degree and got into tech sales. i'm now a sales manager after 3 years. (go figure)

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
You will have to further your education.

Master of Public Admin/Public Policy/Public Affiars etc, and go work for a governmental agency

Master of International Affairs, and go work for a governmental agency

PHD in Poli Sci/Public Policy, teach

JD, become a lawyer

MBA, enter the biz world

Those are pretty much your five best options...

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Originally posted by: fire400

This is the nicest I can possibly be while still telling the truth- you should look into getting some counseling. Seriously.

If you don't like that, consider that I erased a lot of other things I almost said, and that you asked.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: angminas

This is the nicest I can possibly be while still telling the truth- you should look into getting some counseling. Seriously.

If you don't like that, consider that I erased a lot of other things I almost said, and that you asked.

I didn't ask what you almost said. I said what did you think of it.

Professor: Why are you back?
fire400: I want an apology.
Professor: Go ahead.
fire400: Excuse me?
Professor: Excuse me...?
fire400: You deserve to give me an apology.
Professor: Leave.
fire400: I deserve what I came here for.
Professor: Get out! (throwing stapler at me)
fire400: What! I'm suing you!
Professor: I'm failing you! Get out!
fire400: Game over!
Professor: Play hard, eat fresh!
fire400: What a joke...
Professor: You're a joke. I'm calling security.
fire400: Bye.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ethebubbeth

Originally posted by: So
Topic Title: What can you do with a Poli Sci major?
Go hungry at night.

Originally posted by: Estrella
you can always marry a rich chick

are you kids stupid?
... you guys are DISSERS.
I have to offer my fair share as well, let me first say:

I'll be honest man. As much as I love politics, I "hate" writing the fvckin' papers for social studies related courses. Reading the shi_ is so damn interesting. But dude, writing about them, good hell, our instructors might as well have us cut out newspaper articles to turn in for our assignments -

here's my play:

Professor: Where's your paper?
fire400: Right in front of you.
Professor: That's a clip from Times Magazine?
fire400: Are you saying this is plaj-
Professor: Yes, yes it is.
fire400: You expect me to live my life like this?
Professor: I expect you to do your homework so you can work your way upto the exam and pass my class. Thus you get credit.
fire400: That's it?
Professor: Did you pay for this class?
fire400: Full-ride.
Professor: Then you're wasting tax-payer money.
fire400: It's government money, no longer the citizens' money.
Professor: Where did the money come from?
fire400: Oil.
Professor: Who's fighting for the oil?
fire400: Our troops.
Professor: They are your brothers and sisters, dedicated leaders who sacrifice every day of their lives.
fire400: Are you going to pass me?
Professor: Get your face out of my office.
fire400: I worked hard to cut this article out. Not to mention how hard it took to find it.
Professor: Look me in the eye. You call that hard work?
fire400: I took the time to read it.
Professor: Read the syllabus one more time.
fire400: I threw it away before the first day of class ended.
Professor: You are a discrace to this country, get your rollers out of my office.
fire400: This school sucks.
Professor: Patience, child, I will see you taking this course over again next semester should you decide that your future is important.
fire400: See ya.

anyway, with over 500,000 public offices, you are well competing against over 100,000 people who commute to work everyday, and you, my friend, have a college degree, right? get into a private office, top secret stuff, and your job will be more worth while. the stakes are high, but when you're gambling your career, you've got everything to gain, and nothing to lose, just so long you don't go to bars every night and don't hang out with low life guys who cheat on their wives.

eat your heart out, finish what you started if you haven't already done so.

http://www.apsanet.org/section_74.cfm
http://www2.gsu.edu/~polaah/careers.htm
http://www.politicaljobs.net/

WTF are you talking about?

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
You work shoulder - to - shoulder with the English majors sorting mail. Or maybe a job in HR, or sell real estate, or flip dem burgers, or deliver pizza