what can the government do to prevent teen pregnancies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Stop reporting on:

Paris Hilton
Nicole Richie
Britney Spears
Tara Reid
Lindsay Lohan

reporting on LL's lesbian relationships MORE might decrease teen pregnancies ;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
When will people see that government is not a problem solver, but a problem creator?

Probably about the time you figure out that you are the government.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ironwing
Allow me to don my flame retardant clothing here. Okay, I'm set.

In my humble opinion, based on personal observation...

There appears to be a cultural component, at least in the Mexican American community. Historically, industrial societies go through a demographic transition which includes delayed child bearing. The Mexican American community does not seem to have gone through this transition. There is little to no social stigma to bearing children at 16-18 years old as there is in Anglo society. It may be the constant influx of new immigrants from mostly rural backgrounds inhibits the demographic transition or that historically a significant portion of the Mexican American population worked in agriculture where early child rearing was not as significant handicap as it is in an urban environment. It may be that having an intact extended family structure also reduces the economic penalty for early child rearing. In any case, early pregnancy doesn't seem to be considered as "bad" in the Mexican American community as it does in the Anglo community.

Great...cuz this problem only exist in the Mexican community. Oh and where did you get your degree on Mexican American culture so as to make such a bold proclamation about entire population of people as did right here? I can guran-fucking-tee you that teen pregnancy rates have more to do with poverty rates and lack of education then any BS cultural blame game crap you might dig up from the bottom of your seat. For example why is it that Western European nations have lower teen pregnancy rates then Eastern nations amongst native populations?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
When will people see that government is not a problem solver, but a problem creator?

Probably about the time you figure out that you are the government.

Hey, don't call me a thief nor a warmonger!

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
it's the parents fault.

and there needs to be easier access to the morning after pill.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
what can the government do to prevent teen pregnancies?

Use the same methods and funding that helped the government win the war against drugs, alcohol, and smoking.;)

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: alien42
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: thespeakerbox
This has become an epic battle at work.

Is it culture?
Can you blame the parents?
Should pregnant women get so much help?
Should the govt encourage young mothers to give up children adoption?

These are some questions thats came up. Pretty much, everyone agreed that the government does too much for peoples stupid choices? But whats the alternative?

The parents are to blame.
like Sarah Palin?

Yes.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

when will people stop quoting reagan as if he actually was right about anything?

the government can and has solved many problems, markets are not the answer to many things.

Like Bush and the GOP congresses solved those plagues of peace, prosperity, and budget surpluses? Few problems are so bad that gov't can't make them worse.

Feb 16, 2005

Is it culture?

These are some questions thats came up. Pretty much, everyone agreed that the government does too much for peoples stupid choices? But whats the alternative?

Is it culture? Not sure, maybe economically based as well
Can you blame the parents? To some extent, yes
Should pregnant women get so much help? define 'so much help'
Should the govt encourage young mothers to give up children adoption? no, the government should have no input on any pregnancy in any stage, save for health care

Bottom line, education, with all options, helps, abstinence only is a joke and doesn't do a damn thing. There will always be teenage prenancy issues, hell a few hundred years ago, teen pregnancy was the norm, a child/woman reached sexual maturity, is married off and pops kids out. Life span was alot shorter, so I guess they were trying to compensate for that.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: alien42
Originally posted by: Lothar

Is it culture?

The parents are to blame.
like Sarah Palin?

Yes, any parent.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
The only thing that the government can really do to assist with that kind of problem is increasing the quality and availability of sex education as well as easy and cheap/free access to anything that helps prevent pregnancies such as condoms, birth control, and the ever so taboo and unpopular abortion. Such a thing is not a concrete solution. There are flaws, but no "solution" is without flaws when it comes to this problem. Other than that, there is nothing they can really do to help.

Taking away government help for pregnant teens is foolish. There is NOTHING the government can do to forcefully reduce the frequency that these kids are having sex. Hell, the parents can barely do anything about it even if they are 5 star and raised a fantastic child. All of the power is in the hands of those teens. We can't stop them. We cannot make the decisions for them. We can only help them.

This is not a "new" problem either. How long have people, including teens, been engaged in sexual intercourse on a very regular basis now? Forever!? OH GEE WHIZ!

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Government should have no role in this. I'll parent my own kids, thanks. When public schools can demonstrate they can accomplish core, basic goals like teaching reading and math, I'll think about letting them handle sex ed. This study states that among US 12th graders, only 35% are testing at proficient or higher in reading, and only 23% at math. When they can get that right, they can move onto other subjects.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Teens will have sex.

Says who? I waited till I was in my 20's, so did my fiancee, and my brother, and his wife, and my parents.

Teen sex: The purifying cycle to which all souls are inexorably drawn.

Jesus dude.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

Is it culture?

This all assumes that is government's job to prevent teen pregnancy. I would humbly offer that it isnt government's job, but then again, I am pretty old fashioned and I tend to think that parents are the best line of defense. Worked for my parents, their parents, their parents, etc.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Government should have no role in this. I'll parent my own kids, thanks. When public schools can demonstrate they can accomplish core, basic goals like teaching reading and math, I'll think about letting them handle sex ed. This study states that among US 12th graders, only 35% are testing at proficient or higher in reading, and only 23% at math. When they can get that right, they can move onto other subjects.

Amen brother!

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

You talk as if their involvement is taking away your ability to parent your own kids.

Keep in mind that this problem is not isolated from family to family. I have confidence in myself as a parent more than the schools just like you do too, but I do not have confidence in every other kid's parents. I want the government to try and help with that problem because I want that issue to effect my life and everyone elses life as little as possible since we did not merit the punishment. Isn't that part of what the government is supposed to do? Protect us from others screwing up our lives and our country at no fault of our own?

If giving a girl really cheap or free birth control from the government will prevent her from getting pregnant then give it to her. Sure, we would prefer that they all magically start acting more responsible, but guess what? It's never going to happen and it sure as hell beats her getting pregnant with a child she does not want or cannot handle raising properly let alone do it all without expensive government assistance.

You gotta pick the lesser evil regardless of how much both evils piss you off.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

There's no reason why we can't put our effort into improving health education and other forms...

In any event any parent can opt to take thier kids out of the health class or home school if they wish to do so.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434

You talk as if their involvement is taking away your ability to parent your own kids.

Keep in mind that this problem is not isolated from family to family. I have confidence in myself as a parent more than the schools just like you do too, but I do not have confidence in every other kid's parents.

Never said I did either. Most of today's parents are lazy, immature, and irresponsible. I have my kids in charter schools not because the teachers are better (althought they are, and that's part of my reasoning), but because the peers are much better. The other students are more disciplined, focused, and better-parented.

I want the government to try and help with that problem because I want that issue to effect my life and everyone elses life as little as possible since we did not merit the punishment. Isn't that part of what the government is supposed to do? Protect us from others screwing up our lives and our country at no fault of our own?

If giving a girl really cheap or free birth control from the government will prevent her from getting pregnant then give it to her. Sure, we would prefer that they all magically start acting more responsible, but guess what? It's never going to happen and it sure as hell beats her getting pregnant with a child she does not want or cannot handle raising properly let alone do it all without expensive government assistance.

You ought to read case studies or interviews with a lot of these teenage moms. A lot of them want these babies, and there's no cultural stigma on them not to have them. Their reasoning may be flawed for choosing to get pregnant, but there's no lack of birth control for many of them. People determined to choose self-destructive paths aren't going to be deterred too much by gov't.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Keep in mind that this problem is not isolated from family to family. I have confidence in myself as a parent more than the schools just like you do too, but I do not have confidence in every other kid's parents.

Never said I did either. Most of today's parents are lazy, immature, and irresponsible. I have my kids in charter schools not because the teachers are better (althought they are, and that's part of my reasoning), but because the peers are much better. The other students are more disciplined, focused, and better-parented.

I want the government to try and help with that problem because I want that issue to effect my life and everyone elses life as little as possible since we did not merit the punishment. Isn't that part of what the government is supposed to do? Protect us from others screwing up our lives and our country at no fault of our own?

You ought to read case studies or interviews with a lot of these teenage moms. A lot of them want these babies, and there's no cultural stigma on them not to have them. Their reasoning may be flawed for choosing to get pregnant, but there's no lack of birth control for many of them. People determined to choose self-destructive paths aren't going to be deterred too much by gov't.

More than 80% of teen pregnancies are unintentional.