What button do you use to aim down sights? (in fps games)

PaxMaulus

Sep 28, 2011
I tried changing my aim down sight button tonight in mw3 and battlefield to various keyboard keys (instead of right click) and I think I like the change. It is hard to get used to sprinting with right click but im gonna keep the config for the time being. What do you guys use for aim down sights in shooter games? Also does it affect your gameplay substantially?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The mouse? Are you not using freelook like most do?

W A S D moves you around, the mouse for pretty much everything else to look up and down, switch weapons, etc. Shift to sprint.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I havent used scope for anything other than snipers because its not necessary for me.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
using anything other than right click for aiming down sights would mean a complete change in controls. I feel uncomfortable even thinking about it. It'd be like using O P K L instead of W A S D,

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I use right click or wheel click if a game offers secondary fire modes. I might also use a thumb button if a game supports those too, but very few games do.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If there's no Toggle Aim, I use the 0 key on the Numpad, but I use the Cursor Keys for movement.

When you change a control, be sure to try out various keys until you find one that works well for you. Aim is an important key, so the easier to find/use you can find the better.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Back in CS betas, I used to use right mouse for walk forward. Now of course I use the defaults mostly, it works.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I use the right button on my mouse and then I use the button I have assigned to lower the mouse speed for effective sniping.

PaxMaulus

Sep 28, 2011
using anything other than right click for aiming down sights would mean a complete change in controls. I feel uncomfortable even thinking about it. It'd be like using O P K L instead of W A S D,

Not necessarily. For me, i switched the sprint key (shift) and ads button (right click). Thats it. Everything else is exactly the same. I like it because whenever i hold down right click to aim (i dont use toggle aim) I feel like I jolt the mouse a little bit which throws off my aim. With shift binded as aim down sights, my right hand is purely used for precision. It works pretty well

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I'm more curious as to the preferred method of aim... hold or press.

My intitial shot accuracy goes to shit with hold since I have to press 2 buttons simultaneously.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I'm more curious as to the preferred method of aim... hold or press.

My intitial shot accuracy goes to shit with hold since I have to press 2 buttons simultaneously.

Toggle FTW. Having to hold aim offers no benefit whatsoever (that I can see).

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Back in CS betas, I used to use right mouse for walk forward. Now of course I use the defaults mostly, it works.

I still use that config. Left mouse is fire, Shift is alt fire and Ctrl is Aim Down Sights. Nothing is convenient for Crouch, but I rarely crouch anyhow in FPS.

Feb 6, 2007
Right-click. It makes the most sense. Whatever works for you is what you should go with, but if you change it just to be different, you're just being a hipster, and no one likes that.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Not necessarily. For me, i switched the sprint key (shift) and ads button (right click). Thats it. Everything else is exactly the same. I like it because whenever i hold down right click to aim (i dont use toggle aim) I feel like I jolt the mouse a little bit which throws off my aim. With shift binded as aim down sights, my right hand is purely used for precision. It works pretty well

That sounds like a really good move. I'll try that out.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
That sounds like a really good move. I'll try that out.

I've done that, don't like it. ADS when used as hold instead of toggle will screw with accuracy either way. With pinky on the shift, it makes me slower with movement on WASD because it takes finger strength away from my index middle and ring finger.