What brands and kinds of coffee do you drink?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
OK I'm thinking of drinking coffee in the morning to help me avoid soda, and I'm taking about buying a bag or can at the store not going to 7-11 and such. But haven't brought coffee from the store in awhile and don't remember the brands and types I liked.

So I'm asking for help here. What are your favorite brand and types of coffee? Which ones to avoid, as I had the cheap no name brands before and they tasted horrible.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My favorites are:
I tend to avoid Starbucks and Seattle's Best. I recommend buying whole bean and grinding it yourself, using a french press to brew it. It's easy to use, makes a great cup of coffee, and is easy to clean. I used to drink more than a gallon per day, so I've been around the coffee block a few times. :p

Reactions: TeeJay1952

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recently got a grinder at home so been experimenting with different kinds that come as beans.

So far I like Grizzly Claw. https://www.amazon.ca/Kicking-Horse-Whole-Coffee-Grizzly/dp/B00AE229DA?th=1

Just ran out today so will probably check what else they have at grocery store.

As far as commodity brands I find Maxwell House is half decent. I tend to buy it for at work. Just finished off a can of McCafe. I tend to switch things up. We have a Keurig at work so I tend to use Kcups too but moved towards using grounds in a reusable kcup instead, less bad for the environment.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I recently got a grinder at home so been experimenting with different kinds that come as beans.

So far I like Grizzly Claw. https://www.amazon.ca/Kicking-Horse-Whole-Coffee-Grizzly/dp/B00AE229DA?th=1

Just ran out today so will probably check what else they have at grocery store.

As far as commodity brands I find Maxwell House is half decent. I tend to buy it for at work. Just finished off a can of McCafe. I tend to switch things up. We have a Keurig at work so I tend to use Kcups too but moved towards using grounds in a reusable kcup instead, less bad for the environment.
I thought about buying whole beans and grinding them myself, but I might do that if I don't drink everyday or only drink a small amount.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Best idea: go out and buy something, anything, figure out if you like and why or why not.

Ideally every single retail manufacturer should have single servings sold somewhere, so that you can sample their wares, but that isn't always the case..

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I hear Nescafé gold is good.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Best idea: go out and buy something, anything, figure out if you like and why or why not.

Ideally every single retail manufacturer should have single servings sold somewhere, so that you can sample their wares, but that isn't always the case..

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I hear Nescafé gold is good.
Well I'm going to Mental health group today and while I'm there I'll go to one of those dollar stores that is down the street from them.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Daily grind is Starbucks blonde roast. Buy whole bean, grind each morning and french press it. Very mellow cup of coffee.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wouldn't expect much from a dollar store. Coffee, like spirits, generally gives you what you pay for to a certain point. You may find that rare cheap gem, but it's virtually a unicorn.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
imageService

It's around $12 or so at Costco. My go to coffee for the past couple years. Medium roast and easy to drink.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I've been buying different brands and blends from Publix B1G1 sales usually every other week.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I'll most likely catch some shit for this but Starbucks Via Instant Iced coffee is my go to. I have one every morning and I usually buy 100 packs or more at a time because they can be hard to find at a reasonable price.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'll most likely catch some shit for this but Starbucks Via Instant Iced coffee is my go to. I have one every morning and I usually buy 100 packs or more at a time because they can be hard to find at a reasonable price.
I've never bought Via, but was given some as a gift at one point and was actually surprised. They grind it so finely that it mixes fairly well - much better than most instant coffee.

I typically buy whatever whole bean coffee is on sale at the store when I'm there, usually paying between $6-$10 a pound. Most of the year I make cold brew, which doesn't pick up the nuances of hot coffee so I care less about it. Best bang for buck is usually at Trader Joes - they seal their beans in cans so they keep a bit better and the single origin stuff they have is pretty high quality.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

drink what you like. if others turn up their nose then so be it.

Reactions: whm1974

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
my favorites ..
https://www.doorcountycoffee.com/

Lighthouse Blend is I think the best "evening coffee", or coffee with or after a big meal. It's a dark roast, so it's got less caffeine. It's made with low acidity beans, and somehow, they get the roast dark, but don't make it taste burnt at all. It's a marvel to me how good it is as usually I like light-medium roasts in order to maximize the earthiness and caffeine.

Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend is just phenominal. It's blended with Colombian, but they really get the ratio good. Sooooooo tasty. I love Jamaican blends as they offer a lot of the goodness of a Pure Jamaican but a much more reasonable price point. DC roasts it perfectly.

https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/?s...kGIChMbPKggFzSKzevJYUipj-w3uWBDhoCJxIQAvD_BwE
Tanzanian Peaberry is soooo frickin tasty, but, a bit more acidity than I usually like due to the woman's lack of a gall bladder.
Sumatra is wonderful and magical. It figures that would be my favorite here since it's also one of the primary components in the Lighthouse Blend from DC Coffee. Low acidity, full bodied flavor, light roast, it's almost perfect.

Otherwise, Dunkin Donuts original blend is my favorite stuff you can buy in any store.
Cafe Bustelo is my favorite of the "preground" stuff, a bit darker than I prefer, but, it's damn good coffee.