What are your thoughts about church priest saying other religions are stupid + crap???

nanyangview

Banned
Jun 11, 2002
Since the passion of christ is coming out soon, which caused quiet a controversy. This reminded me of something several years ago.
I was invited by a friend to a christmas church mass. This particular church in Toronto had a guest speaker from Australia who is a priest/pastor or something like that. He started to preach how jesus saved us all and that. Wel.. no problem with that saying christianity is good etc...then the most offending part came:

He started saying how people from other religion are stupid such as Buddhism who worthship stupid and dead statues. They are the ones who will burn in hell etc..

Well..that kinda got me..what gives you the right to badmouth other religion just because you don't believe in it?

what are your thoughts one this? I lived in a Catholic country for a 3 years (Belgium) and my elementary school is a catholic school..i never heard the priest there badmouthing other religions.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Those priests on those Christian TV networks do it all the time. One of them seems to have made it his staple.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
Why would God need to convince you he exists?
It improves many people's lives.

Anyway, only a zealot minister will say such a thing. I've never experienced one saying it.

DuffmanOhYeah

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: nanyangview
Since the passion of christ is coming out soon, which caused quiet a controversy. This reminded me of something several years ago.
I was invited by a friend to a christmas church mass. This particular church in Toronto had a guest speaker from Australia who is a priest/pastor or something like that. He started to preach how jesus saved us all and that. Wel.. no problem with that saying christianity is good etc...then the most offending part came:

He started saying how people from other religion are stupid such as Buddhism who worthship stupid and dead statues. They are the ones who will burn in hell etc..

Well..that kinda got me..what gives you the right to badmouth other religion just because you don't believe in it?

what are your thoughts one this? I lived in a Catholic country for a 3 years (Belgium) and my elementary school is a catholic school..i never heard the priest there badmouthing other religions.

I hope he phrased it a bit more tactfully than that.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
God wrote a book and gave it to me, and it says, "This is the Word of God. Christianity is bunk. "

How are you gonna deny that? It says right there it's the Word of God.

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
well that priest/pastor needs to reread a few verses that i can't exactly name now, but that he should take into consideration

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
God wrote a book and gave it to me, and it says, "This is the Word of God. Christianity is bunk. "

How are you gonna deny that? It says right there it's the Word of God.

but you cant prove it!!!

oh, wait....

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I used to be in a religion that based its entire existence on claiming it was the only true religion and all others equal babylon the great

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
christianity is too large a corporation for proper quality control in its employees.
thats the unfortunate truth of it, i fear.

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
id tell them that even their religion should be included when hes talking about stupid ones.

JB

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Maybe he is a priest, but he is also a sinner. His words are not infallible, only God's. It is our calling to defend (apologia) the Gospel of Jesus. When it comes to people like that we can only say that they are sinners for whom the Lamb died.

Best Regards.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: her209
Why would God need to convince you he exists?
It improves many people's lives.

Anyway, only a zealot minister will say such a thing. I've never experienced one saying it.

It's just like Skoorb being a nissan fanboy. ;) him and his preachings of Nissan

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This is akin to a spokesperson from Pepsi denouncing other competitors products as "just soft drinks." One form of mythology accusing all others of being "just mythology" is normal for organized religions. It's to be expected from narrow minds obsessed with illusions of sanctity. The Baptists down south have turned this kind invective into a career. I've heard things hurled from streetside preachers in Florida's Panhandle that would make this guy feel ashamed.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
If he truly believed in his religion isn't that pretty much the accurate thing for him to say? Would you instead expect him to say, "Well ours is the only correct religion but I suppose all those other people praying to inanimate pieces of wood and such, yeah they're cool too."?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: nanyangview

Yea, that is stupid! Dead statues? I mean what kind of crazed lunatic would worship a dead statue (are statues normally alive?). Now us on the other hand, WE pray to the invisible magic man that lives in the clouds.
rolleye.gif

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
What are your thoughts about church priest saying other religions are stupid + crap??

Anyway, back to the original question, I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with any other religions, however there is a more tactful way of disagreeing. Christians, Jews, Muslims, they all believe their way is the way to gain access to God and Heaven, there are a lot of other religions that believe this too.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
If it was a "Mass", then it was either Catholic, Orthodox, or High Church Anglican. I can't speak definitively for the Orthodox or Anglican churches, but if a Catholic priest were to call other religions stupid he would be going directly against a) The Bishops, b) Rome, and c) what he was taught in the Seminary.

If a member of a group acts or speaks in a way that is contrary to the teachings and/or rules of the group, then the group cannot be held responsible for the actions of the individual.

If a priest were to speak out in that manner - which is contrary to the teachings of the group (Church) - then you cannot hold that the group believes the same thing (it does not). What it does believe is that its faith is the correct one - which would mean that other faiths are inaccurate. However the modern Church advocates respect for other faiths and the people who believe them.

I'm sorry you encountered a bit of a bad apple. As we all know, there have been a lot of bad priests discovered lately. There is definitely, IMHO, change needed to the priesthood and authority structure of the Church.

However, again - these things do not effect the beliefs of the Church (which are contrary to this priest's statements). If you choose not to believe in Catholicism (which is fine), make your choice based on Church teachings, not on the actions of individuals that mis-represent the Church.