What are your go to quick cook meals?

Mar 15, 2003
The wife definitely has the more strenuous schedule as of late and I'm picking up at least half of the cooking "shifts," all with a very limited food vocabulary. What are some of your quick cook favorites (by quick cook i mean less than say 10 steps, not time - roasts that take 4 hours to cook but 10 minutes to prep are fine).

My recent discoveries:
- Instant ramen mix in (low sodium ramen, handful of mixed veggies, slices of meat)
- Cast iron all day every day (started making a mean steak now am trying to get the timing right on roast chicken)
- Aldis pork roasts: pre-seasoned carnitas and pulled pork, just throw that shit in the oven and its reliably tasty and easy
- Chicken tikka masala, assorted asian simmer sauces. I'm way open to suggestions outside of the norm with simmer sauces - i've done korma recently and like the thai ones as well.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I have to admit I'm not the cook in our house either. Needless to say that when it's up to me to cook I usually keep it pretty simple. For example last week I had to cook dinner a couple times so on Tuesday night I cooked Hardees and on Thursday night I cooked a couple of chicken strip baskets from DQ.

So yeah like I said I just like to keep simple and straight forward on nights that I have to cook and I must say both my sons don't seem to mind my cooking style.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Find some kimchi. Make rice. Saute up some ground pork or beef with sesame oil, garlic, onions, ginger and red pepper flakes. Mix and enjoy.

Reactions: slackerinabox

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Triple-fat grilled cheese:

1606195276531.png

I mean, I go through phases. Over time, I've eventually (mostly) settled on meal-prep using kitchen gadgets: sous-vide, Instapot, vac-seal & freeze, etc. My basic approach:

1. I plan my meals once a week & then go shopping
2. I typically only schedule one cooking job per day, after work as part of my chores, which is separate from meals for that day, i.e. goes into the freezer
3. Then I heat up the food as needed from the freezer (Hot Logic Mini, microwave, oven, etc.). Most of my meals go in multi-oven containers these days (they have new disposable ones that can be baked in the oven AND microwaved!)

I'm very much a mood-based eater, and sometimes I just want something simple like a really amazing grilled cheese. I use these things called Souper Cubes to freeze my Instapot soups & chilis into bricks, so I can just grab a brick from the freezer, whip up a grilled cheese while it's microwaving, and have a super-fast meal! Lately I've been slicing my grilled cheese sandwiches into vertical strips to dip into soups & bisques. Really ridiculously good lol. I really love simple foods done well, which is why I've been so happy with my Triple-Fat grilled cheese method linked above!

1606195320177.png