What are you playing nowadays? Share yo' thoughts.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Finally got around to starting Iron Harvest and I have mixed feelings. It's basically Company of Heroes but with their own unique twist of piloting giant mechs instead of WW2 trucks and tanks. Same style of capture resource points to gain resources, upgrade unit production buildings to build higher-tier units, units can gain experience through combat/actions which unlocks new abilities or more powerful bunkers for Engineers, etc. It has a normal campaign that takes you through the story and an open world campaign which is similar to Dawn of War Dark Crusade but with a lot of extra game modes to choose from. It's a lot of fun for any fans of that genre. There are some minor bugs like secondary objectives not completing but that doesn't really affect anything and the story has unusually long load times after you win - long enough that I thought my game crashed more than a few times. I guess my only gripe would be that infantry feel pretty useless in skirmish and many of the maps that don't force you to use them. There's literally a mech for every scenario and unless the map is just incredibly low on oil resources, there's no reason to ever use infantry when you can just use mechs instead.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I've started playing Grim Dawn. It's a Diablo/Titan Quest Clone but seems like lots of fun, so if you haven't tried it, I would guess it is a good cheap alternative to Diablo IV if you can get it on sale. :)

Reactions: Stg-Flame

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Yeah, the patch seems to have helped me a lot as well. I just played for about an hour without any crashes or stuttering.

The characters randomly became drenched during a cut scene for some reason, but otherwise it is looking much better now.

Another patch
The Last of Us Part I v1.0.1.6 Patch Notes
A new hotfix for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update addresses fixes that improve memory, performance, and more.

• Decreased PSO cache size to reduce memory requirements and minimize Out of Memory crashes
  • Added additional diagnostics for developer tracking purposes
  • Increased animation streaming memory to improve performance during gameplay and cinematics
  • Fix for crash on boot relating to game save files

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Well this is strange. The Last of Us Part 1 HATES my XBox controller that every other PC game I have plays great on, but controls fine if I use my DualSense from my PS5 wired through USB.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Cult of the Lamb was fun but a little janky at times with a few of the weapons. It's also a bit slow at the start while you're getting your base set up but once you get a decent amount of food, it's more about making sure your followers are satisfied so they don't revolt while you're gone which sometimes is easier said than done (until you build a jail).

Solid title for anyone who enjoys these types of games.

Still on medical leave for my surgery so I'll be delving into all the games that I bought previously but couldn't play like Dawn of War 3, Borderlands 3, etc. I think I'm going to test the waters of DoW3 after Iron Harvest turned out to be another CoH clone and I kinda wanted a real RTS to play. I'm also well aware of all the horrible reviews from DoW fans so my expectations are already abysmally low.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Despite all it's flaws, I actually enjoyed DoW3 a lot and I don't understand why it received so much hate - especially all the reviews that claimed the game was a glorified MOBA. There were a lot of annoying bugs but the skirmish matches weren't anything like the reviews claimed they were nor were there really any MOBA elements other than most skirmish maps having three "lanes" but looking back at a lot of other DoW maps, countless maps had lanes. I would definitely recommend this to any WH40K fans just for the campaign alone.

THAT BEING SAID... I would recommend any fans play this installment so long as they don't play the final mission. The final mission isn't really a mission, but rather a really annoying boss fight in the style of Dawn of War 2 where you have three heroes (a tank, a DPS, and a support) and you're forced to fight waves of normal enemies until the boss shows, knock him down to half health where he leaves to go heal, and then you rinse and repeat two more times with each iteration more and more difficult. I got the boss all the way down to the third phase and a quarter health when he hit all three of my heroes with an attack I couldn't dodge which one-shot everyone and that's when I called it good and uninstalled it.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
^ It's still terrible
Gameplay wise I agree. You move so slowly and everything is pretty scripted. Admittedly I haven't played a lot of it but I just can't make myself enjoy it. It looks pretty though.

I'm catching up on FarCry 5 and 6. I'm enjoying 5 a lot more than 6. For some reason I'm finding the story in 5 more engaging and to me it looks better for some reason.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Gameplay wise I agree. You move so slowly and everything is pretty scripted. Admittedly I haven't played a lot of it but I just can't make myself enjoy it. It looks pretty though.

I'm catching up on FarCry 5 and 6. I'm enjoying 5 a lot more than 6. For some reason I'm finding the story in 5 more engaging and to me it looks better for some reason.
I love the game, it just runs like crap on my PC. But have played it on PS3 and PS4 and it's one of my favorite stories ever told while being one of the few stealth games I have ever enjoyed.

I loved Far Cry 5 just for the Montana scenery but the gameplay is fun too. Haven't tried 6 yet.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I love the game, it just runs like crap on my PC. But have played it on PS3 and PS4 and it's one of my favorite stories ever told while being one of the few stealth games I have ever enjoyed.

I loved Far Cry 5 just for the Montana scenery but the gameplay is fun too. Haven't tried 6 yet.
FarCry5 kinda reminds me of Skyrim with guns!

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

FinMary

Apr 11, 2023
Yesterday finally passed the second part of the game Little Nightmers. It is more impressive than the first part. There were more characters and interesting locations. Very cute horror game
and before that I played AtomicHeart, also a good game

Feb 4, 2009
Yesterday finally passed the second part of the game Little Nightmers. It is more impressive than the first part. There were more characters and interesting locations. Very cute horror game
and before that I played AtomicHeart, also a good game
Hey welcome and don’t let the trolls scare you off

Reactions: FinMary

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Finished off Wo Long. Enjoyed it enough to complete all the achievements. Dabbled a bit in the Rising Dragon difficulty (basically New game+), seems OK, main difficulty increase is that bosses hit harder, so you need to be more careful about health. Probably won't bother completing it. Once you have mastered parrying the game becomes kind of too easy. Story was way too disjointed to enjoy.

Are there any Three Kingdoms period games with a really good story?

Dabbling in new PoE league. Maybe it is the dozens of times I played through, but kind of bored of it already in Act 1. Might give it a couple more hours to see if I like the new mechanics or not.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
FarCry5 kinda reminds me of Skyrim with guns!
Turns out all I had to do was disable resizable bar in the BIOS and now the cpu bottleneck in The Last of Us Part 1 is gone for me. Game runs 1440p60 for me now on high setting, exactly what I would expect out of a 6700 XT in 2023, and the gpu stays at full usage. Only time I have ever seen that, as I have been running the card with resizable BAR enabled since I got it right after Thanksgiving.

And Far Cry 5 reminds me of Far Cry 4 but with bears. Which ain't a bad thing, was a big fan of Far Cry 4 haha.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Finished off Wo Long. Enjoyed it enough to complete all the achievements. Dabbled a bit in the Rising Dragon difficulty (basically New game+), seems OK, main difficulty increase is that bosses hit harder, so you need to be more careful about health. Probably won't bother completing it. Once you have mastered parrying the game becomes kind of too easy. Story was way too disjointed to enjoy.

Are there any Three Kingdoms period games with a really good story?

Dabbling in new PoE league. Maybe it is the dozens of times I played through, but kind of bored of it already in Act 1. Might give it a couple more hours to see if I like the new mechanics or not.
Did you like Wo Long as much as the Nioh games? Nioh 1 was pretty fun and then I bought Nioh 2 but it has been sitting in my backlog for 2 years since I'm a moron who buys games before I'm ready to play them.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Did you like Wo Long as much as the Nioh games? Nioh 1 was pretty fun and then I bought Nioh 2 but it has been sitting in my backlog for 2 years since I'm a moron who buys games before I'm ready to play them.

Never played Nioh, this was my first Team Ninja game. I am interested in trying it out.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Never played Nioh, this was my first Team Ninja game. I am interested in trying it out.
Nioh's got pretty fun combat except for the sloth talisman that's annoying. I heard Nioh 2 is mostly regarded as better though. Nioh 1's story is trash so you're probably not missing out on anything playing them out of order.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Lol buying games and not finishing them, that has been my whole life. Wo Long is easier than Nioh I would say. It's very parry centric so once you learn when to parry and get the timing right it becomes easy.

A good build is also important. I found that with enough points in earth or water, you can destroy things later on.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Lol buying games and not finishing them, that has been my whole life. Wo Long is easier than Nioh I would say. It's very parry centric so once you learn when to parry and get the timing right it becomes easy.

A good build is also important. I found that with enough points in earth or water, you can destroy things later on.

I just picked a weapon I enjoyed (dual sabres) and built up the scaling elements for that weapon which were earth/water/wood. Spells were kind of weird. I figured out late in the game that they did a ton of spirit damage, so I started using them more on bosses to stagger them. The support spells didn't seem too useful except for cleanse.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
.. before i uninstall it, does anyone know of a fix for the blackscreen on Skyrim?

I just lost a lvl 60+ with full dragon armor, 100 enchanting, 100 smithing, 100 alchemy, 100 destruction + ritual spell, 80 restoration, 80 illusion, 100 archery, 90 twohanded, *all* Vampire Lord perks, nearly all the shouts, all of Elsweyr done, all of Wyrmstooth done, Civil War done, i was just about to jump into the Soul Cairn. No cheats .. no dupes .. all Expert level from lvl 1.
Idk maybe 60 hours down the drain.

Skyrim SE, only 2 mods installed - Elsweyr and Wyrmstooth.

I had just finished the civil war, killed the murdered Ulfric, did a full save, and now - with mods installed or uninstalled - whenever i try to load ANY of the previous saves, i just get a black screen.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just picked a weapon I enjoyed (dual sabres) and built up the scaling elements for that weapon which were earth/water/wood. Spells were kind of weird. I figured out late in the game that they did a ton of spirit damage, so I started using them more on bosses to stagger them. The support spells didn't seem too useful except for cleanse.

My current build is using the swords of aspiration leveled up to 9. I have like 4 points in wood and 83 in water. Ominous chill spell destroys non humanoid enemies.

I'm almost done the game. I'm doing all the side missions after each main mission. I'm really enjoying it much more than I did Sekiro and Nioh. Probably will be done it by the time dead island 2 comes out for PS5 next week.

I may want to keep it installed to do a fire build later and maybe play through with that in new game +.

Or perhaps if they come out with more missions in a dlc later I may be interested in buying it, it would be the first time I'm actually buying a dlc for a game lol.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Just finished the RE 4 remake. Wanted to finally finish before posting my final thoughts.

Meh. It's a good game. Actually a borderline great action/3rd person shooter with horror elements, but it's awful as a horror or survival horror game.

I won't go into the story or characters or plot elements, that's all subjective. Needless to say, I thought (and have always thought) RE4's story and characters were beyond silly (most RE games are, but RE4 was one of the worst. As a pure action game, it certainly can be really fun, it's kind of addictive going around and gathering resources and selling/improving weapons, but here again it's so goofy for a "horror" game it totally kills any scares and you're just in it to run around and shoot n' loot. The last couple of hours it gets progressively sillier and more arcadey.

Echoing my first impressions a month ago now, I still feel the same. Absolute joke this game is/was getting 10/10 from sites like Gamespot and IGN. This is not a masterpiece or pinnacle of the genre, nor does it revolutionize anything at all in 2023.

The RE2 remake from 2018 was far better. And infinitely scarier.

A good/potentially great action game that I found myself enjoying less and less as it went on, and my mind wandering to Elden Ring the last 3-4 chapters. 7.5/10.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i was hoping ^this would fix it, but it doesn't.

i have spent 2 hours reading on fixes and i have had *some* success, i re-loaded a save from 6 days ago and it finally worked. I lost 2 levels, the entire Civil War, at least 2 word walls, all the intro od Dawnguard, freeing Serana, Castle Volkahir up until the opening of the Soul Cairn (which i did one-handed to level up the skill), a Daedric Quest or two, essentially the entire weekend which i spent playing Skyrim.