what are those things in the front of the trains called?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Alone
You still don't want things like cows getting under a train. I don't know if this was a myth or not, but weren't there stories going around about kids putting pennies on train tracks? Probably not true, though.

EDIT: Ah.

Yup, it squishes the pennies real good. I had a friend who had a whole collection of squished coins that he'd put under the tracks.

Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I haven't seen a locomotive with a cow catcher since the steam engine days.

You were around during the steam engine days?

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: Jeff7
lol.. I've always been curious how effective they are.

I have a hard time imagining a train hitting a cow - plow or not - and having it gently move the cow off to the side of the train.......
Who says it's for the cow's sake? It's probably to keep it from getting dragged underneath the train. A cow might make a mess of the locomotive's various mechanisms down there.
Ahh, true, never thought about it like that.

Duh.

yeah im pretty sure it's a way to prevent derailments from lazy cows

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. It was one of those thoughts that I've had floating around in my head since I was really young, but never took the time to actually think about.

w00t Eli is back, I missed your replies. Have you replied to the "Wheres Eli" thread yet? Anyway, good to see you're back. :beer: for you

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I haven't seen a locomotive with a cow catcher since the steam engine days.

They still have them, effectively - look at any modern diesel locomotive and you can see the scoop in the front.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Heen05
Topic Title: what are those things in the front of the trains called?

Locomotives... or for the modern world...Deisel Engine.