What are those small windows beside front doors called?

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I can post a pic if I can find one but does anyone know how I can find some curtains (or some other form of privacy) for the small windows beside our front door?

We have these "paper" ones you cut out to size but they are old and I'd like to find something better to replace them.
I think I've seen something like a magnetic/adhesive type that just sticks to the window. Kinda has a look of the outside b athroom window that you can kinda see shapes and light through but not clear.
Anyone know where to find somehting similar?

Here's a pic. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/de8212/Misc/door.jpg

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
I believed they are called "side lights", as the glass panels in a door itself are referred to in the same way ("six light door", etc). Home depot / Lowes has everything you need to dress them.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've heard them called privacy windows. I said it sounded stupid but the explanation was they are the ones you look through to decide whether to let somebody in.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
same here i need some also! we have some ugly crap on it. i want to get some blinds but the window is maybe 6inches wide heh

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: AStar617
I believed they are called "side lights", as the glass panels in a door itself are referred to in the same way ("six light door", etc). Home depot / Lowes has everything you need to dress them.

Thank you. Did a search on lowes site and see some stuff theat would work.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: de8212
I can post a pic if I can find one but does anyone know how I can find some curtains (or some other form of privacy) for the small windows beside our front door?

We have these "paper" ones you cut out to size but they are old and I'd like to find something better to replace them.
I think I've seen something like a magnetic/adhesive type that just sticks to the window. Kinda has a look of the outside b athroom window that you can kinda see shapes and light through but not clear.
Anyone know where to find somehting similar?

Here's a pic. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/de8212/Misc/door.jpg

You could try your hand at etching...

You make/buy designs and then put them on the glass. Then you slap some goo over the window and it "etches" the glass. Some kind of acid or what not that "frosts" the glass. Neat stuff. You then remove the pattern to leave behind the "regular" glass.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
little windows or small windows

don't ever call them what my grandpa called them (dwarf windows or midget windows)

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: MustISO
Those are the "break-in" windows.

Yeah. How dumb can you be to put a windows within arms reach of the door lock on the other side. Stupid design.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn

Yeah. How dumb can you be to put a windows within arms reach of the door lock on the other side. Stupid design.

Have you ever tried to break that glass? It's almost impossible. Not only that how would a thief get to the key that locks the door??

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn

i agree. but they are hard to break. not to mention if they want in they are going ot get in.