What are those door pole locks called?

bigbangtech

Mar 9, 2003
I'm trying to find a lock that I saw in a friend's apartment and am having zero luck. It's a steel pole about 1/2" diameter that goes into a dent in the fllor, and into a bracket on an entry door. The bracket also has a lock on teh front of the door. When leaving the apartment, you put the pole into the floor, and through the bracket. As soon as you close the door, the pole pins the door shut.

Anybody know what it's called or where to get one?

Also, anybody know where I can find multi-point(2) police locks online?

bigbangtech

Mar 9, 2003
It's a lock in the center of the door that moves two or more bars out to the sides and top to lock into the frame.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I haven't seen one you can can use when you Leave the apartment that has a keyhole on the door. But ones that you use when you are home are easy enough to find. They are just as you described but without the ability to use them as you are leaving.

bigbangtech

Mar 9, 2003
Deadbolts are have a key push a small bar into the frame. The "lock" I'm looking for is a pole about 5 feet long plus the lock assembly that's fitted to a door. Even Google comes up with barely anything for pole lock, etc. But I'm definitely not hallucinating, it's out there and I need to find the damn name :)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: bradruth
Originally posted by: bigbangtech

Police locks? :confused:

you know, because everything you guys have is bigger, tougher, and ultra-high-tech.

I'm still waiting for my police toenail clippers :D

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I wish it was only to be cool but my building has had several break-ins recently :(

Do what they do in New York City...have like 5 deadbolts on your door.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Just get 4 deadbolts and attach one to each side of the door :D Trust me, when you bring a girl home from a date and she sees that she'll melt.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
It's a lock in the center of the door that moves two or more bars out to the sides and top to lock into the frame.

those kinds of locks are what they use on payphone vault doors, there tricky bastards.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: bradruth

Police locks? :confused:

you know, because everything you guys have is bigger, tougher, and ultra-high-tech.

I'm still waiting for my police toenail clippers :D

Good luck getting 'em! Them's is Law Enforcement only, buddy. Built-in folding knife, handcuff key, tactical mirror, and a 2-round .25 caliber pistol. ;)

mjart

Oct 10, 2015
they are fox police locks. fox went out of business,but i found one on ebay,minus the pole. the pole was 1/2" steel,and could probably reproduced,or found second-hand.the best place to look for them is in nyc.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Progressive Hardware, DBL-01-42, Double Bar Fox Police Lock

A3M4_130639539166003621GDTUcdH6hV.jpg

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
they are fox police locks. fox went out of business,but i found one on ebay,minus the pole. the pole was 1/2" steel,and could probably reproduced,or found second-hand.the best place to look for them is in nyc.

If other people find this thread through Google (like mjart did), now they will also find the answer.

Thanks, mjart! Welcome to Anandtech forums.