What are the real Republican priorities?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Of all the things Republicans have done that's the one thing causing him to speak out?
I think his complaint is about tactics, not outcomes. Like the odds of this becoming law are 0% so there's no actual policy gain. I bet if he thought it would pass he would be all for it.

Reactions: hal2kilo

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
A few more Republican priorites ....

There goes Hillary’s pizza parlor!

The Party of Free Speech Strikes Again!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Shooting this down

Why wasn’t this done when they had the majority, or did they attempt it already?

Also, are you telling me the only solution to this problem is a constitutional amendment?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why wasn’t this done when they had the majority, or did they attempt it already?

Also, are you telling me the only solution to this problem is a constitutional amendment?
Easier to turn the court. If 5-4 progressive, case can be overturned

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
A few more Republican priorites ....

There goes Hillary’s pizza parlor!

The Party of Free Speech Strikes Again!
What animal?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Tactics change when you are a majority or a minority party. You don't propose legislation that has no chance of passing when you are in the majority. When you are in the minority, it's usually performative.
That where the Pubs just don't get it. They are always in the performative mode.

Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Hoping someone else will chime in? I just believe, know, that CU is crucial to the ongoing democratic experiment not only in the US but the entire west.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Highest immediate priority is to damage Biden's chances of getting reelected if he so chooses to. Next up, create as much chaos and confusion amongst the electorate in order to inject as much suspicion and doubt among them and exploit that mayhem by blaming the Democrats as untrustworthy perpetrators of it all.

The Repubs already have their thoroughly corrupted SCOTUS majority securely in hand. All they need now is to discredit the Democrat's efforts at championing the concerns of the middle class and the poor of the nation and turn them against the Dem party in their all out effort to gain permanent control of the federal gov't. IOW create a weird fascist/theological form of gov't that's in firm control of the plutocrat class.
Well, it doesn't look like they are going to get significant help from the DOJ. Can't wait for the Weaponization of Government hearings.

DOJ reserves right to not cooperate with certain House GOP requests - POLITICO

Reactions: Pohemi

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Well the Citizen's United decision declared that independent spending of money for political campaigns fell under the free speech protections of the First Amendment. So any law short of an amendment that got passed would be declared unconstitutional. And there's no way that the now even more extremist conservative court than the one who made this decision would overturn the decision that made bribing politicians legal. Especially considering the total corruption that is the Republican party.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I hope DeSantis runs for president. He needs to be fully exposed for the nutcase he is. I don't think many people that support him or think WOW, DESANTIS WOULD BE SO GREAT, I don't think they know the half of what DeSantis wants to do to harm citizens and harm our country. But running as a presidential candidate....??? He will be exposed. His supporters will see who and what DeSantis really is. I just don't think people are paying enough attention thus far to the real DeSantis with attention spans being what they are these days. Thanks TikTok. Congrads China.

People see DeSantis as some kickem cowboy, much like they thought of GW Bush, but they don't pay attention to whats really going on. They just have this delusion that DeSantis is a pretty good guy. Boy... are THEY in for an awakening.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I hope DeSantis runs for president. He needs to be fully exposed for the nutcase he is. I don't think many people that support him or think WOW, DESANTIS WOULD BE SO GREAT, I don't think they know the half of what DeSantis wants to do to harm citizens and harm our country. But running as a presidential candidate....??? He will be exposed. His supporters will see who and what DeSantis really is. I just don't think people are paying enough attention thus far to the real DeSantis with attention spans being what they are these days. Thanks TikTok. Congrads China.

People see DeSantis as some kickem cowboy, much like they thought of GW Bush, but they don't pay attention to whats really going on. They just have this delusion that DeSantis is a pretty good guy. Boy... are THEY in for an awakening.
The problem is, there are a lot of people who want his type of nut case.. And if the Dems don't have someone stronger and better than Biden, he may pull it off and win. And you thought Trump was bad!!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

They know exactly what he is, and that's what they want.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well the Citizen's United decision declared that independent spending of money for political campaigns fell under the free speech protections of the First Amendment. So any law short of an amendment that got passed would be declared unconstitutional. And there's no way that the now even more extremist conservative court than the one who made this decision would overturn the decision that made bribing politicians legal. Especially considering the total corruption that is the Republican party.
This is something I think people still do not fully appreciate - most progressive priorities outside of ‘spend money on X’ will be neutered or declared unconstitutional by SCOTUS. Remember, they recently invalidated an environmental rule that was clearly authorized by statute based on the made up idea that Congress didn’t really mean it. (From the same people who say they are ‘textualists’ and are just reading the plain meaning of the statute)

Either win the presidency and the senate continually for the next 10-15 years or so or expand the court.

fiveslate

Nov 14, 2021
They're basically a confederation of various interests that are threatened or feel threatened by the march of progress. Businesses that wish they could pour waste into the river or scrub white guys who know they'll be the underclass if black guys aren't there by default. For a long time they had a pretty good PR machine that would make decent cases for whatever they really wanted to do but through years of winks, dog whistles, and extremist propaganda the rubes that they led around by the dicks for so long finally have seats at the table and now they have to deal with space lasers, pizzagates, and Donald J. Trump.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I for one look forward to Republicans pitching a ~30% national sales tax that will lead to massive tax increases for regular Americans and a huge tax cut for the rich.

I bet people will like that a lot.

They'll find a way to blame Biden for it.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Fox News crowd says Sam Smith’s performance at the Grammys last night was literally a Satanic ritual.

Other right-wing Christians linked Smith's performance to the COVID-19 vaccines, which many of them believe to be the biblical "Mark of the Beast."

So much stupid is one place. It must hurt to be that dumb.