What are the pitfalls to landlord(ing)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
What about the math on this?

Is it a goal to pay down the mortgage with the rent money as soon as possible to avoid the $20-40k in interest fees? Or just use 'other people's money' and let the mortgage run its coarse?

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Well, I'll share some experiences to give you an idea of what some of the pitfalls have been. My family owns quite a few units.
Cat urine and feces everywhere throughout units.
Smoke literally turning the walls yellow, combining with grease in the kitchen. It took me two days of scrubbing every surface to just make it look ok. We had to toss the AC and carpet, as the smell wouldn't go away.
Unapproved dogs ruining hardwood floors 'they were only here for a weekend'.
Mold growing in a bedroom without the tenant letting us know.
Lots of leaks. It is VERY important to have access to plumbing in rental properties.
People going months without paying rent, but not able to evict.
A person complaining about discrimination because he was attempting to become trans (I had no idea).
Tenants tape recording conversations without permission.
One tenant accused another of rape. They expected us to take action based on the accusation.
Sewer line to a building was clogged. We had to shut the water off to 16 units for two days while it was investigated/replaced. Total cost $45k.
People completely ignore assigned parking and have their friends park wherever they want, despite plenty of street parking.
Many people do not understand that the security deposit is not the last month's rent.
People who owe thousands of dollars to their current landlord literally begging to let them move in.
People who give their friend's phone number as landlord and have them lie over the phone.
People who intentionally damage the property before leaving and try to claim that the property was in that condition when they moved in, and they expect their full security deposit back because it was in such disrepair. They also left condoms in windows between the glass panes.
Many, many calls late at night to complain about noise.
People complaining about asthma being exacerbated because it was too hot (the ac wasn't working too well because of all the smoke in it).
Drugs.

Rental properties can be an excellent source of income if you find the right tenants and treat them well, plan ahead, and are willing and able to do some of the work yourself. Those stories above were nightmares to deal with, and there are many more, but they are definitely the exception, not the rule. Just learn to anticipate problems and save accordingly. Most people don't do that in their lives, so they would not do well as landlords. The return on investment is usually better than the stock market, but a real estate property is not a liquid asset. You need to save for repairs, save for legal fees, save for renovations, save for missed rent, and many other things.

I got a few more good ones.

A guy at work had a tenant put a hole in the wall, filled it with fish, then patch it up. It took him a long time to find the smell.
My Aunt had someone remove every phone jack in the house and patch the holes up without ever giving a reason.
Same Aunt had a tenant pass away but didn't find out for several months because the tenant children where trying to hide the death. I guess they were collecting checks or something.
A friends mother-in-law had a tenant kill himself in the house with a gun. In addition to cleaning up the mess she had to reluctantly let the other roommates break their leases because no one wanted to live in the death house anymore.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Is it a goal to pay down the mortgage with the rent money as soon as possible to avoid the $20-40k in interest fees? Or just use 'other people's money' and let the mortgage run its coarse?
Depends on your risk aversion. Anything in my rental account over the "slush amount" went on the mortgage. A friend of mine was the opposite, anything over the slush went towards a new place. I sold mine. He got into a crack because of poor paying tenants.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002

That depends. I have 2 mortgages right now, both with 3.25% rates. So it doesn't cost me much to have a mortgage as far as interest goes. Both also positive cash flow properties. Paying off a mortgage early means giving up your fluid cash to make a payoff.

I typically use the profit to begin building up an emergency fund, in case the boiler goes, or some other expensive repair. After an emergency fund is established, I either pocket the profit for myself or use the profit to make an additional monthly payment directly towards the remaining mortgage.

A friends mother-in-law had a tenant kill himself in the house with a gun. In addition to cleaning up the mess she had to reluctantly let the other roommates break their leases because no one wanted to live in the death house anymore.

IMO that doesnt qualify as good enough reason to break the lease. People die all the time. One of our properties was owned by an elderly couple that passed in the house. Our neighbor next door rents out half of her duplex and she had a 90-something year old man die in the unit too. Had it rented less than a month later.