What are the fates of the Yankees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: faenix
Seattle..

*chuckles*

Yes.. I see why you laugh. But words cannot explain my hatred for the Yankees.. and I don't mean that as sign of respect for them. I just really really hate them.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
So do you think the Yanks will aquire Beltran and half of the A's Pitching Staff during the off season?

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mariano Rivera leaving. George has a habit of thinking superstar pitchers have outlived their usefulness, and ditching them. Wells, Clements, Pettitte, etc.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Is Randy Johnson a free agent now?

If Olerud can be re-signed for cheap (He got paid $7mil this year apparently), then he'll stay. Giambi better get his ass into top form tho' since he ain't cheap.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: chrisms
After reading this thread, I am even more sure that the Yankees and their fans are bastards.

EDIT: Bastards whose owner spends so much more on his team than any other organization that they are able to be the first to lose a series after leading 3-0. As I Mariners fan, I say go Red Sox!

Jelousy is a bad thing. Makes you live a short unhappy life.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Argo
Cashman is gone. Brown will hopefully go.
By all accounts, Cashman wants to go. Boss George picked up his contract for 2005 after he made comments in the media that he was going to leave because the working environment was just sucking the life out of him.

Originally posted by: deftron
Costanza gone
Thank you. That made me feel better. :)

Originally posted by: badmouse
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mariano Rivera leaving. George has a habit of thinking superstar pitchers have outlived their usefulness, and ditching them. Wells, Clements, Pettitte, etc.
Nah. Rivera is still a dominant closer and you can hardly blame him for the failures of this Yankee team. Game 5 was hardly his fault, blame was somewhere between Gordon for pitching badly and Torre for leaving Gordon in so long.

After reading this thread, I am even more sure that the Yankees and their fans are bastards.

EDIT: Bastards whose owner spends so much more on his team than any other organization that they are able to be the first to lose a series after leading 3-0. As I Mariners fan, I say go Red Sox
I hate people who come into other fans' team threads and talk about how much they hate a team especially when its completely irrelevant to the topic and right after a heartbreaking loss. Even the Sox fans have enough class to leave it alone. Or are they just too busy celebrating? :p

EDIT: Spelling

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: RedPickle
Originally posted by: Storm
I think Lofton is gone too.

Karsay will have more time to get back into better shape.

Sheffield will get his surgery.

Will the Yanks woo Beltran?

They should definitely sign Lieber to another contract.

Agreed. Lieber has to be signed. Sheff will be better, Giambi I hope will get better also. We need to get healthy. Yes the Yanks will go after Beltran hard, but I think that is a mistake. We need pitching, as evidenced here. Get Hudson now.

Yanks won't go after Beltran, I can almost guarantee it. They'll probably re-sign leiber and sign Zambrano.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000

EDIT: Bastards whose owner spends so much more on his team than any other organization that they are able to be the first to lose a series after leading 3-0. As I Mariners fan, I say go Red Sox
I hate people who come into other fans' team threads and talk about how much they hate a team especially when its completely irrelevant to the topic and right after a heartbreaking loss. Even the Sox fans have enough class to leave it alone. Or are they just too busy celebrating? :p[/quote]

Nah, most of them are in the slammer this morning :)

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Storm
I think Lofton is gone too.

Karsay will have more time to get back into better shape.

Sheffield will get his surgery.

Will the Yanks woo Beltran?

They should definitely sign Lieber to another contract.

Agreed. Lieber has to be signed. Sheff will be better, Giambi I hope will get better also. We need to get healthy. Yes the Yanks will go after Beltran hard, but I think that is a mistake. We need pitching, as evidenced here. Get Hudson now.

LOL. Sheff has admitted to using steroids and a good majority of people figure Giambi was on the juice as well. While I kinda feel sorry for the Yankees for dropping a crapload of money on Giambi, frankly, if it is true he was on the juice, I hope he stays broken down. Sheff might start to break down soon also.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
If Torre was fired there would be rioting in the streets of NYC. Same with Rivera.... my god, he's the best closer ever.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
After seeing Loiaza look halfway decent in the ALCS, I wonder if there's any hope for him staying in a Yankee uniform and actually being useful? As for Beltran, the lineup has enough firepower (unless Giambi really is done and Sheff takes an extended amount of time to recover from shoulder surgery).

Personally, I was really impressed by Miguel Cairo in the series. I hope he stays. He was a smart, gritty, tough, little ballplayer who made all the plays in the field and made every at bat count. And did not quit on his team (Are you listening ARod?) And probably one of the least paid players in the lineup. Sheff was also tough (though well-compensated), playing with a shoulder injury half the season that probably would've sat most players down on the bench. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and plays next year as well.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: geecee
After seeing Loiaza look halfway decent in the ALCS, I wonder if there's any hope for him staying in a Yankee uniform and actually being useful? As for Beltran, the lineup has enough firepower (unless Giambi really is done and Sheff takes an extended amount of time to recover from shoulder surgery).

Personally, I was really impressed by Miguel Cairo in the series. I hope he stays. He was a smart, gritty, tough, little ballplayer who made all the plays in the field and made every at bat count. And did not quit on his team (Are you listening ARod?) And probably one of the least paid players in the lineup. Sheff was also tough (though well-compensated), playing with a shoulder injury half the season that probably would've sat most players down on the bench. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and plays next year as well.

How did ARod quit on his team?

madogvt

Sep 9, 2001
Brown should retire. Definitely re-sign Lieber. Send Vasquez to the shrink (looks like a head case). Try to pick up another starter...

They could use a real leadoff hitter (like what Damon does for you know who, for example) except there's no place to play him.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: faenix

EDIT: Bastards whose owner spends so much more on his team than any other organization that they are able to be the first to lose a series after leading 3-0. As I Mariners fan, I say go Red Sox!

After reading your post, I am even more sure that you are a dolt.

Dolt.

ha ha ha ha you said dolt.

Yea the owner that spends so much more on his team, because he can. The Yankees are the #1 income generating sport team. So why should steinbrenner change that now? Want him to open an ING account?

Dumb logic my friend. Just cause no one gives a rats a$$ about the Mariners since Randy and Ken left you shouldnt be so bitter.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Last nights games showed clearly two things. They showed what it great about baseball, and they showed what is so wrong with baseball.

It was great to see the sox and yanks battle it out all the way down to game 7. It was great watching the Cards win in 12 to push it to game 7.

It also showed what's wrong with baseball. The yankees will go out and just take the best players from other teams (Beltran, Zito etc), and be back in the playoffs next year. Meanwhile, other teams with less money still have no chance. It's like playing monopoly where 1 or 2 players start of with 5 times as much money as the rest of the players. Gee, who will win?? I don't blame the yankees, they are simply doing everything they can given the current system to win. I blame baseball owners and union leaders for not getting a proper revenue sharing model or salary cap in place so it's more of a level playing field.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: dr150
It has been speculated that Beltran will either go to the Yanks or Angels........

I don't think the Angels will go after Beltran. They're trying to reduce payroll and they have their own issues to deal with (Glaus, Guillen and Percival).

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: tagej
Last nights games showed clearly two things. They showed what it great about baseball, and they showed what is so wrong with baseball.

It was great to see the sox and yanks battle it out all the way down to game 7. It was great watching the Cards win in 12 to push it to game 7.

It also showed what's wrong with baseball. The yankees will go out and just take the best players from other teams (Beltran, Zito etc), and be back in the playoffs next year. Meanwhile, other teams with less money still have no chance. It's like playing monopoly where 1 or 2 players start of with 5 times as much money as the rest of the players. Gee, who will win?? I don't blame the yankees, they are simply doing everything they can given the current system to win. I blame baseball owners and union leaders for not getting a proper revenue sharing model or salary cap in place so it's more of a level playing field.

Tell the "poorer" teams to get better scouts. Think about Posada, Jeter, Rivera, Bernie, dont remember them being bought. I'm not 100% about rivera, im a met fan.

The Yankees just have the history and the market to make all the money they spend. Teams like the Rockies and the Marlins cant compete with teams that have been around since the early 1900's.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Maybe "quit" IS a bit harsh. Maybe "didn't show up" is more like it. My ARod memories of the last four games are a lot of Ks and weak ground balls when it mattered. Sheff did not hit either in the last four but at least he's got a reason. I'm sure his shoulder must've been bothering him after 5 nights in a row of 4-5 hour games.

EDIT: shortened post :)

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
steinbrener(walks into yankees conference room): "You are all fired"
steinbrener: "That is all" (walks out)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Maybe "quit" IS a bit harsh. Maybe "didn't show up" is more like it. My ARod memories of the last four games are a lot of Ks and weak ground balls when it mattered. Sheff did not hit either in the last four but at least he's got a reason. I'm sure his shoulder must've been bothering him after 5 nights in a row of 4-5 hour games.

Yes, he didn't show up offensively, that's for sure. And SlapRod's little antic not only took his team out of the game (Jeter would have been in scoring pos), but he took the crowd out of the game b/c they started throwing sht and the cops came out. He is easily the goat of this series for NY.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

Yes, he didn't show up offensively, that's for sure. And SlapRod's little antic not only took his team out of the game (Jeter would have been in scoring pos), but he took the crowd out of the game b/c they started throwing sht and the cops came out. He is easily the goat of this series for NY.

I am not disagreeing with you guys, but maybe Arod's offensive shut down was due more to good pitching. Manny did absolutely nothing in this seires, but no one is saying that he quit on them.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Torre gettting fired?
Very possible. As classy as he is, he still made some severe mistakes, like not walking the Red Sox MVP (Ortiz) to get to Mientkavicz at the end of game 5, which Ortiz made them pay for. Or leaving Gordon in too long to allow Boston to smack him around which set up Rivera's 2nd blown save. Like leaving Vazquez in to face Damon a 2nd time after he hit a G.Slam his last AB. Abusing Gordon, Quantrill, and Rivera too much during the reg season so that they were ineffective during the postseason. Not pitching out on the first pitch with Dave Roberts on first, when everyone and their mom knew he was going to steal (which set up Rivera's first blown save) on that pitch. And the list goes on and on...