What are the best optimized PC games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I was actually impressed that Battlefield 3 would run 30+ fps on a laptop with a Radeon HD 6370 GPU. Granted, it took cutting the resolution to 800 x 480 to get there (and post AA looked god-awful at that res) but when I got the game for Christmas, I didn't think it would run well at all.

zaza

Feb 11, 2015
That's being far too generous. It's certainly a lot better optimized now than the train-wreck it was on release, but that's not saying much. Just look at the massive CPU bottlenecks that still exist in places like Markarth.

I'm telling you, Dead Space 3 fits every possible interpretation of your criteria (as vague as it is).

You need to provide a lot more info to get more responses

So far you've said you want recommendations for "optimized" games, but then made it sound more like you want smooth engines.

1) Do you play with VRR (G-Sync, FreeSync) or "Perfect V-Sync" (V-Sync with framerate never dropping below refres)? This will give some insight into your definition of "smooth" and your threshold for stutter.

2) What era are you interested in? (eg. 1998-2015)

Perfect Vsync of course! And I'm interested in anything 1998-2015 as long as it isn't turn based.
Yo if you have a spare hard drive where all these games are located can you look at them for me and tell me which ones you believe are perfect vsync optimized?
I played the first two dead spaces, had enough of repetitive corridor shooters.

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
I think I can honestly say I've never had a problem with solitaire being buggy, dropping frames, glitching etc etc.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Pretty much any game on the source engine, the range of hardware people could play HL2 was quite insane given all the new tech especially with the phyics stuff.

I would also probably say the first iteration of the Crytek engine with Far Cry was really well optimized also.

Last edited:

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
IMO the best looking game at playable settings on my laptop was Crysis 3. Textures and models are absolutely amazing for the required GPU power at lower settings. The game also uses a nice frame smoothing algorithm that gets rid of a lot of stutter.

Tomb raider looked and performed well too (on lower settings).

zaza

Feb 11, 2015
No because you didn't read the thread to see any others.

Do you have any games in mind?
Or are you just here to masturbate to my posts?

Stop with the insults.

This is not OT and is not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The only area in which Crysis could be considered "poorly optimized" is the CPU, with it's inability to do any meaningful multithreading. That's why you still can't get a sustained 60fps out of it with a 4790K (it's all bound up on the primary thread). But back in the day, this CPU bottleneck was completely obscured by the GPU bottleneck. With the CPU bottleneck aside, it's exactly as you say. Crysis took a lot, but it gave a lot back. It was not poorly optimized, it was just incredibly demanding. Framerates were low, but very consistent. Also, the engine is in fact very smooth under favorable circumstances.

This is why I wish they would 'remaster' the Crysis series, at least Crysis 1 and WarHead. Even if they didn't update any of the textures, simply porting the game into the newest engine to take advantage of many of the 'fixes' they made since the game was released would really bring it back to life.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
CSGO would be my choice,something as old as a Q6600 and a ddr2 9500gt netted me 60+fps on all low at 800x600.Compared to BF3 or BF4 i couldn't hold 60 if i tried unless i ran it at 400x300 and even then the Q6600 had me often under 60fps.You would need a i5 2000 series and a gtx750 to hold those frames and that is just for 768p in BF3 and BF4.

A moderate gpu like a gtx650 easily holds 80+ on Very high at 1080p based on my experience with that gpu and another system.

zaza

Feb 11, 2015
CSGO would be my choice,something as old as a Q6600 and a ddr2 9500gt netted me 60+fps on all low at 800x600.Compared to BF3 or BF4 i couldn't hold 60 if i tried unless i ran it at 400x300 and even then the Q6600 had me often under 60fps.You would need a i5 2000 series and a gtx750 to hold those frames and that is just for 768p in BF3 and BF4.

A moderate gpu like a gtx650 easily holds 80+ on Very high at 1080p based on my experience with that gpu and another system.
No more online shooters! Pls, I had enough of them

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Do you have any games in mind?

Or are you just here to masturbate to my posts?

Go back and read the posts made previously. My response is there, as were others. If you continue to ignore it then I can only assume you're here to get your post count up and nothing more.

zaza

Feb 11, 2015
Go back and read the posts made previously. My response is there, as were others. If you continue to ignore it then I can only assume you're here to get your post count up and nothing more.
My posts really make you orgasm dont they?

Stop with the insults.

This is not OT and is not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yep you are doing one of two things. Trolling or just trying to up your post count.

Can I just get my free iPad now?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
No more online shooters! Pls, I had enough of them

I feel you on that.

Shooters have bored me but CSGO as of lately is one i have come back too more then once as of lately.Even the recent Star Wars beta bored me quickly,it seems to be a universal feeling among most of us here on the forums who have played it

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yep you are doing one of two things. Trolling or just trying to up your post count.

Can I just get my free iPad now?

Yeah, zaza is pretty-much a troll, or seems to start troll-like threads. Maybe he's a paid troll, to bring traffic to these forums?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah, zaza is pretty-much a troll, or seems to start troll-like threads. Maybe he's a paid troll, to bring traffic to these forums?

I mean, people offered more examples in the thread and he thinks people only mentioned far cry and crysis. He just needs to peruse the other posts.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Far Cry 2 produced beautiful visuals (still does) and the engine ran really fast at launch.

Plus it was one of the few games at the time that actually ran faster under DX10 than DX9 and produced visibly better IQ too.