what are the affects of listening to music while studying?

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Well, however the music affects you normally should be the same as when you are studying.

However, how it effects your studying will differ by genre and by person....

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
When I was in college I always found it to be too distracting.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
depends on the genre. if music makes your mind more at ease and helps you to concentrate on the task at hand, then...

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
i find it helpful to have music, but nothing with vocals. usually classical was my preference

MercenaryYoureFired

Nov 8, 2006
There's no debate to be had, as it's all relative. Some people study better while listening to music while others completely oppose it.

Try it for yourself, if it helps you study, then continue. If it distracts you, then don't.

-MYF

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It depends. If its really quite and i am in the zone for studying i dont use music. If its noisyi put on somemusic so its a constant in the background. Usually its something like sigur ros, or techno, or classical..but sometimes its stuff with lyrics as well. I also do it sometimes just cause i get bored studying and while i dont really listen to the music that much i find ithelps...

I do fine on my tests. got 110 out of 100 on my Interm Micro final yesterday :)

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
bone thugz n harmony got me through so many physics exams its not even funny. It turned into a habit where I really think hearing them got me in the mood to study.

wow I think im going to go play some. maybe it will motivate me

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
It helps me when I'm working on number problems (math/chem/physics), but when I'm trying to read, I shun all distractions.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
It tends to make people use 'affect' and 'effect' incorrectly ;)

Seriously, it depends what kind of work I am doing. For some reason, if I am writing a program or doing some other engineering project/assignment that involves using a PC, then I can usually listen to music and it doesn't interfere with my productivity. My favorite thing lately has been to put on some family guy eps and just minimize it. Sure I can't watch the episode, but 75% of the jokes are purely based on what the characters say.

On the other hand, if I am reading a book, pretty much any kind of music is distracting, so I avoid it.

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
I read a study recently that showed it may be harder to recall studied information without having music if you studied while listening. If I listen to music while studying, it's usually something without lyrics.

Eska

Banned
Nov 13, 2006
I find it helpful about first 1hour or so.. after that i concentrate better without it..

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Very good. It helps me remember things way easier compared to say, playing some Zelda before and after.

marulee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2006
Give a concentration for the study from other distractional noises while listening to a music without lyrics!

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
There was a study done a little while ago (take it for what it's worth) that you are able to recall information on an exam better if you can replicate the surroundings of your study area. So if your study area consists of loud music, you, according to this study, would be able to do better at recalling information if the exam was given with loud music playing.

Since that's unrealistic and exam surroundings 99 times out of 100 are silent, the best way to study IMHO is in silence.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I use it as background music. Something to get my mind to think about other things so that I can relate to what I'm doing. It seems to help, but I hate that I can't listen to my podcasts while doing my homework. It gets so distracting.

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Ilikepiedoyou
I also debate what wether it is good or bad to listen to music while studying? What are your thoughts

One of the effects is misusing affects.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I need something going on in the background.

Actually sometimes when I'm reading I need it to be silent. I guess it depends on my mood and what I'm doing.

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
I usually remember the lyrics of the songs I was listening to while studying instead of the material.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
I work/study best in a fairly noisy/busy environment. My ideal study spot is somewhere like a Starbucks. At the very least, if I am alone, I need to have some sort of ambient music. I have a hard time working in complete silence with no one around....it just feels weird somehow. Obviously if I am studying something like a language, the case might be different.

dawnbug

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2002
If it's something that I need to focus on really strongly like studying for a final or writing a big paper, I do better if it's silent. If it's studying for something not as important or just doing a homework assignment, I'm fine with music in the background.

Nov 7, 2000
familiar songs helped me study. comfortable background noise to help filter all other sounds out. unfamiliar music distracts me (find myself listening to the music). theres gonna be sounds no matter what, may as well control with something you enjoy